Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

building a good gaming pc on the cheap

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So I'm trying to get a good gaming pc going on the cheap. I'm looking at this cheap Gateway

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/productID.309863000

And I'm thinking about putting this video card in it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-geforce-gtx-960-2gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/4047283.p?id=1219618220101&skuId=4047283

Is this a good idea? I have a little knowledge about gaming pcs but in no way am I an expert.

Can anyone give me a little advice if this would play ps4 grade games? Or am I making a mistake doing this. Or is there a better graphics card to use in that price range? Is i5 enough or should we be looking at i7s for modern games these days.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also yea I know it would need to be upgraded to 8gb of ram, substitute that in when replying.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

There are a few reasons this probably will not work. Primarily, the PC you listed comes with a 300w PSU installed, while the recommended minimum wattage for the GTX 960 is 400w.

Typically, buying a prebuilt PC like the one you have listed here and then hoping to put in a high performance GPU can be problematic for a number of reasons. These include:

1. Power supplies in these prebuilts are usually 300w or less and sometimes don't even have the needed PCI-E power connectors. The GTX 960 needs one 6-pin PCI-E power connector...who knows if that PC even has a free one or not. PSUs in prebuilts tend to be absolute bottom of the barrel garbage and even if you do get an aftermarket GPU to run on one of them, the system can develop stability problems resulting from the PSU not being able to handle the power requirements and additional load of the card.

2. Small and non-standard case sizes and fan design on prebuilts may not accommodate larger GPUs such as the 960. That card is almost 10 inches long.

3. Some motherboards that come in prebuilts may not even have a free PCI-E slot. This one happens to have one, but again there is that power problem and possibly a size problem, too.

So, no. This is not a good idea and you shouldn't do it.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@agentboolen: No, this is not a good idea. I doubt that prebuilt would have a PCIe power cable for that card, and even if it did, PSUs in general use/office PCs are usually low end and not meant to power a gaming PC. Also you won't be able to upgrade easily down the line, and will probably void your warranty by adding in a GPU in the first place.

You'd be better off building a PC from scratch. The 960 is an okay card, but the 970 gives the best price/performance out of all high end cards at the moment. i5s are fine for gaming, there's no real point to an i7 if that's the most intensive thing you're doing.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys had a feeling I might be simplifying this to much with that machine.

FrankNelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrankNelson

Just doing a random search I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ3146&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+Computers-_-9SIA24G2HZ3146&gclid=CJfOydvU9MQCFUU8gQodv6IAjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

With the price of the gateway plus card plus ram its about the same price. Also for this money I am sure someone could help you find a better prebuilt or show you how to build your own for maybe less.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@franknelson: That machine costs almost $900 and is powered by a GTX 750. For the love of God, don't get this. a 750 Ti is the absolute bare minimum anyone thinking about building a gaming PC should consider, and for $900 you could get a decent machine with anything up to a GTX 970/R9 290X.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.