Building a new computer; how does this look?

#1 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

Been looking at building a new computer for the last month or so and I've put together the following:

Case: oh god any of these it is so difficult to choose

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe

Processor: Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb(2x8gb)

Vidjo card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 680

SSD: OCZ Agility 3

I've also got a 1000w PSU in the cart and a Soundblaster X-FI Titanium I'm transferring over. How does this look? I'm sure somebody with more computer building experience(this is my second in three years) will be able to give me some pointers.

#2 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -

@Artemesia: I caught this tidbit in the motherboard's reviews...why this motherboard in particular? Seems a little pricey, unless it has some specific features that you really need.

"PCIe Slot #1 (3.0) will not handle my Gigabyte GTX-680 OC video card. Latest Nvidia drivers, including beta, crash (and sometimes recover) during any game I have tried (Including BF3). Most of the time I have reboot. I move the video card to the PCIe 2.0 slot and the video card doesn't have any problems. I have updated the BIOS to the latest BETA bios available from ASUS website and the latest BIOS and drivers for the video card. Nothing helps."

Anyway, my last two builds have been AMD platforms so I'm not going to be too much help, but there are plenty of people around here who really know their stuff.

#3 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Swap that 2600K for a newer 3770K.

#4 Posted by GnomeonFire (696 posts) -

Really, if you're rocking an i7 and a GTX 600 series card, you're going to be able to run any game on a ultra unless the optimization is shitty or there are driver issues. You could probably trim some edges on pricing, but it could come with the risk of a faulty piece of hardware.

#5 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

@GnomeonFire said:

Really, if you're rocking an i7 and a GTX 600 series card, you're going to be able to run any game on a ultra unless the optimization is shitty or there are driver issues. You could probably trim some edges on pricing, but it could come with the risk of a faulty piece of hardware.

I'm mostly trying to future proof this thing; I went cheap on my current computer and only spent about $800-$900 on it and thus I'm having to replace it two years after the fact. My dad and I built a lot of his computers together and we both prefer to build with the idea of not having to touch the damn thing for a while in mind.

@MB said:

@Artemesia: I caught this tidbit in the motherboard's reviews...why this motherboard in particular? Seems a little pricey, unless it has some specific features that you really need.

"PCIe Slot #1 (3.0) will not handle my Gigabyte GTX-680 OC video card. Latest Nvidia drivers, including beta, crash (and sometimes recover) during any game I have tried (Including BF3). Most of the time I have reboot. I move the video card to the PCIe 2.0 slot and the video card doesn't have any problems. I have updated the BIOS to the latest BETA bios available from ASUS website and the latest BIOS and drivers for the video card. Nothing helps."

Anyway, my last two builds have been AMD platforms so I'm not going to be too much help, but there are plenty of people around here who really know their stuff.

Going with that one mostly for the built in wi fi. I don't trust my wireless adapter to last much longer and I'd like to free up the USB slot. My alternative is this one. Interesting note about the card though...maybe it's an isolated case? I hope so. I'll do more research.

@PillClinton said:

Swap that 2600K for a newer 3770K.

urg but that's so much more expensive. Is the difference really worth it?

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Artemesia: You will absolutely need a bigger hard drive.

Also, you should just go for the latest, greatest i7 quad core if you're already going for an i7.

And make sure that your RAM is Z77 compatible. I might also suggest upgrading to their top of the line RAM, it's a bit more expensive (like $30) but looks crazy cool.

Here's the rig I'm building for some inspiration, you seem to be going for about the same budget as me.

#7 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@Artemesia: $40 difference for lower TDP and ~10% better performance in the grand scheme of a ~$1300ish (?) build? Totally worth it.

#8 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

Oops, forgot to mention I'm transferring hard drives. I have two SATA drives I'm pulling over; one 500gb, one 1TB. My SSD will be for windows and games that load lots of information such as Civ 5, Shogun 2 and possibly my heavily modded Skyrim.

#9 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@Artemesia: $40 difference for lower TDP and ~10% better performance in the grand scheme of a ~$1300ish (?) build? Totally worth it.

Right now I'm at $1650 rounding up. My budget is about $1600-$1700. I can push that a little farther if I want/need to.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Artemesia: You will absolutely need a bigger hard drive.

Also, you should just go for the latest, greatest i7 quad core if you're already going for an i7.

And make sure that your RAM is Z77 compatible. I might also suggest upgrading to their top of the line RAM, it's a bit more expensive (like $30) but looks crazy cool.

Here's the rig I'm building for some inspiration, you seem to be going for about the same budget as me.

These things?

#10 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

i say get 240gb ssd .. sure youc an juggle files across hds all you want , but 240 is big enuff to juggle less often :)

also im not sure if its really valid since ssd lifetiems are still way higher than regular hds , but constantly backing up to and from them supposedly is one of the biggest factors in reducing their lifetime

i personally have a 120gb for windows/randomshit and 240gb for steam and other games , and just offload downloaded crap etc to an external 1tb hd, was great idea when i got it as it was pretty much always silent (noctua dh-14 cooler is sweet) , but then i went for sli 580's and their fans are fucking stupidly noisy when you start pushing them for gaming :/ so so much for silence :/ they are the only audible thing while my pc is idle

#11 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

What power supply are you getting? 1kw sounds like a lot for that machine, you could easily get away with a 750w and have room to spare. You're wasting money with a 1kw. Most I would suggest is an 850w, assuming you aren't going to be running 2 cards in the future.

Just make sure it's a good PSU - using a shitty one will kill your machine quick. Anything by Seasonic, Corsair or Coolermaster is good. I'd say go for Silver efficiency certified, Gold efficiency if you can. I have the Corsair HX850w modular PSU in my rig and it works great, and I have lots of headroom to spare.

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

What power supply are you getting? 1kw sounds like a lot for that machine, you could easily get away with a 750w and have room to spare. You're wasting money with a 1kw. Most I would suggest is an 850w, assuming you aren't going to be running 2 cards in the future.

Just make sure it's a good PSU - using a shitty one will kill your machine quick. Anything by Seasonic, Corsair or Coolermaster is good. I'd say go for Silver efficiency certified, Gold efficiency if you can. I have the Corsair HX850w modular PSU in my rig and it works great, and I have lots of headroom to spare.

I plan on getting a second 680 in the near future, so I went higher than I figured I would need to be safe.

#13 Posted by cspanick (50 posts) -

Sounds like a nice machine man lol

#14 Posted by Grillbar (1797 posts) -

case:

dont pick the black case since i got it and there can only be one. but its awesome. and super easy to fit everything in there. and in case you want water cooling its also really good for that.

ram:

i would say pick dominator instead of vengeance

cpu:

nothing to say there other then nice. got that one my self.

grafics card:

i prefer radeon but that an opinion more then an advise. imio (in my ignorant opinion) i would say get the MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970

cost the same got a sligthly lower core clock (27) but 1 git more ram and a memory interface at 384 instead of 256.

to bad they dont make the hD 6990 anymore other then that they are pretty much the same but hey what do i know

#15 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

I feel pretty comfortable with where I'm at right now. I got some Vengeance RAM with better timing and moved up to the i7 that was linked in this thread. If it doesn't work it is ALL YOUR FAULT, GIANTBOMB

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.