Built my first PC!Will this do the job?

#1 Edited by corn_cracker (19 posts) -

So my xps 420 is 4 years old now and i cant afford a new high end machine from a manufacturer so i decided to buy everything and just build it myself,watching jeff's pc being built was a huge inspiration :) So this is what i got:
CPU: intel i7 2600k
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
Ram:Corsair XMS DDR3 1600Mhz
Power: Corsair GS800 ie 800W
Graphics: Galaxy GTX570

HDD: 1TB WD Black
I put all of this into an antec nine hundred advanced gaming cabinet (older model but better looking imo)
So this is it,wont be making too many changes for a while so it will have to do for a fairly long time now.Please rate,i will share pictures soon,Thanks.

#2 Edited by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

Pretty much everything you will be able to run maxed. Except Crysis and Metro etc. Obviously.

Although I have never heard of Galaxy.
#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Great choices. Would of went with an evga gpu instead, lifetime waranty, but overall a good build.

Put blue cold cathode lights on your antec 900, it will glow like mine. Cable management is shit for this case unless you drill a hole so you can route things in. Unless you have a better solution than I do. Yeah I agree with you the old antec 900 is the better looking case.

#4 Posted by benpicko (1978 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" Pretty much everything you will be able to run maxed. Except Crysis and Metro etc. Obviously.

"
Why will he not be able to max out Crysis? I can, and I have a GTX 460.
#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -
@benpicko said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" Pretty much everything you will be able to run maxed. Except Crysis and Metro etc. Obviously.

"
Why will he not be able to max out Crysis? I can, and I have a GTX 460. "
So does my 6870, but when we are talking in general, it has to achieve a consistent 40-60 fps for it to be technically eligible.
Obviously if you can stand 20fps then that's fine, but not everyone can.
#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11800 posts) -
@benpicko said:
" @AlexW00d said:

"
Why will he not be able to max out Crysis? I can, and I have a GTX 460. "
Depends on what you mean by "maxed." My 560 doesn't run it on all Very High at 1920x1080 with 4x AA at 60 fps, which is what most people consider maxed.
#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Should have gone EVGA brand for the video card, but other then that it looks good to me.

#8 Posted by corn_cracker (19 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Great choices. Would of went with an evga gpu instead, lifetime waranty, but overall a good build. Put blue cold cathode lights on your antec 900, it will glow like mine. Cable management is shit for this case unless you drill a hole so you can route things in. Unless you have a better solution than I do. Yeah I agree with you the old antec 900 is the better looking case. "
yep cable management was a bit of a pain,i did the best and more importantly,easiest job i could do.I was a bit skeptical about the galaxy myself, but it was all i could get my hands on quickly and it seems to be perfectly fine and running cool and quiet even under reasonably heavy load,the only flaw i see is that the cabinet is see through on one side,and the card has to be loaded upside down which only shows off its chipset and not the nice details on the top,the asus GTX570 i feel wouldve been best,in that case
#9 Posted by corn_cracker (19 posts) -
@corn_cracker: 
here are some pictures

#10 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I hope you don't mind if I posted my antec 900, that's the blue cathode stuff. SSD on the bottom and hidden, used to have sli, but top card fried, dead on arrival.

#11 Posted by corn_cracker (19 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" I hope you don't mind if I posted my antec 900, that's the blue cathode stuff.
"
Do u know how i could control all the fan LEDs and the tube,if i installed it,with one switch???Also,how has the case been otherwise?How long back did u get it?was it a bad decision going for an outdated case?IS this case outdated??
#12 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@corn_cracker:   The fan LEDS can't be turned off like most fans, you can only change the fan speed, from high, medium and low with a switch. The case looks nice, I don't want to use anything else. I don't think I can find a better looking case, the outdated version has a very classic reconisable look. It's like the old classic ferrarri car, sure there are new versions that are faster, but this has a very reconisable look with that cool side window. They updated this case with some cable management holes, water cooling holes, twist tie sort of stuff and a back cpu part where you can install a backplate, ssd holes on the bottom, so it's not exactly the old launch antec 900. The newer antec 902 has a hole to route in cables, but no top tray thing that gives it a triangular angular look which ruins the design imo.

Honestly, the case works well, it cools very well. I find that the cables are everywhere in this case, I have to tie things off. The only complain I had is why didn't they have one more hole at the bottom so I can feed all the cables in there then route the cables out of those holes they have on there. I also find I can't use the third sli slot, I have a tri sli mobo, the psu gets in the way because it's a mid tower. Other than that, I like the pc case, I moved the exhaust fan to the side to it can futher cool the gpu. I keep all the fans on the highest settings except the side, which would be too loud. I like this pc case and I don't think I can really go with anything else. It can fit more videocards if the wires aren't in the way, i'm glad I bought it even with the flaws. It looks good and to me, the way the pc case looks is important because your always going to see it.
#13 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

Consider getting an SSD, if you can justify the expense.

#14 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I still have some stuff on my mind. I have such terrible cable management because there is no way to route in the cable, there is but the asus sata 3 ports are pointing the plugs for the cables right over the first side cable management slot. Also my psu, everyone who reviewed it on newegg said there are too many cables, or described it as an octopus because of all the wires.

I am going to drill like few holes in this pc case. Was only going to drill one, but it seems I need serveral. I need to borrow some powertools and I honestly have no idea what i'm doing. I might just get another pc case, the silverstone raven rv03 case. The op's psu has less cables than mine, since mine has alot more, a design flaw, I might get that. Sell my videocard and maybe get two gtx 560 or something. Should be enough power, it's the same price as a gtx 580, but you get 20 more frames for most games. Just wanted to vent my fustrations because i'm trying all the time to improve my cable management. This computer case is the like the pretty women who is all beauty and a bimbo. It looks good, but you sort of wanted more out of it. That's all i'm saying.

Also I learned that gtx 570 due to some voltage regulator or something like that, which has less than the gtx 580, fries very easily. So I won't sli that, which is sort of unfair. If I buy a gtx 580, it's $500, sli that, it's a grand with a new psu. Honestly I don't know, I am thinking I might change this computer case, change my psu to a modular 1000 watt psu, or just get a new computer case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.