Buying a new PC, I could use your advice!

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

I'd like a future proof PC(well, a few years at least) but decided I'm just buying a pre-built one from a pc hardware site.

Would it be better buying this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411_1553&products_id=25382&zenid=14ff30b7d08a181ebd238eb697f4cdef

Or spending an extra $250 for this?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411_1553&products_id=25221&zenid=14ff30b7d08a181ebd238eb697f4cdef

Oh, remember those are Australian prices and yes, they cost a lot. It's not a super inflated price. So, is it worth chucking the new money in or would the first be fine until I check a new card in it down the track?

#2 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

For a few years, I'd go with the second one (with the 770) rather than the first. However, as everyone who replies will tell you, it would be cheaper to buy all those parts yourself and put them together. At least I think it would be - I don't know anything about the market in Australia. I have a 660 ti (which benchmarks fairly close to the 760) and I'm not comfortable with it keeping up over the next two years. If those are you options, go for the second one.

And for what it's worth, NVIDIA is set to drop prices on those graphics cards (again, in the US) tomorrow. Watch for price drops.

#3 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1383 posts) -

Also chiming in to say the same thing as everyone will tell you: build a PC instead. It's fun and cheaper to do so. If you can build a Lego set, then you can build a PC (so easy to now than ever before).

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

I'll tell you what a lot of other people are probably going to tell you. Build it yourself. It isn't hard and you'll save yourself some money to use on better components. If I had to choose I would choose option 2 but you could probably build option 2 for about $1300 US.

#5 Edited by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Yeah I would say build it yourself also. And you can choose from AMD cards which are really good for the money. The issue I see with the build they have there is it seems like you are getting ripped off by that motherboard on the 760 build, I would expect it to be a Z87 motherboard to let you overclock, otherwise I dont see why they use an aftermarket cooler to add to the price. Also, it lists only 1 PCI Express slot, though I would think it has more by the picture. But if you weren't building your own, and had to buy one of these, I would buy the first with the 760 if there are additional PCI-Express slots to add a second 760 card a year or two from now to get a lot of performance out of it, but from what I see, you are better off building it. Not gonna stop saying it!

#6 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
#7 Edited by __pb__ (16 posts) -

You're approaching the steep part of the marginal cost curve with that gear, meaning each additional dollar you put into upgrades gives you an increasingly smaller performance boost.

In my opinion, you'll be better off saving the $250 and buying a new graphics card in 2-3 years (giving you 1-2 years extra mileage out of your rig) rather than getting the incremental performance boost right now. Assuming graphics cards continue to be the performance bottleneck in games, you'll get a boost back to playable high-settings fps when you upgrade your card a couple graphics card generations from now. By then, the difference between a 770 and a 760 will have diminished.

Edit: but if spending the money now doesn't affect your upgrade budget in the future, going from a 760 to a 770 _is_ a pretty good upgrade and is (barely) worth the extra money.

#8 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

Don't bother with the first build - the GTX 760 is going to get outclassed quickly once the new consoles come out.

I'm hesitant on suggesting the second build also. The 2GB VRAM is going to become a bottleneck within a year or so. Check to see if you can upgrade to the 4GB version.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Get the one with the most motherboards and rams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.