Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Buying console games on steam for my pc...

Mastaofminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Mastaofminds

hi everyone.

I am recently debating if I should buy some console game on my pc. I do own an xbox, but I spend a lot of time on my gaming PC, and I saw that steam sells most of the games I want to play on xbox. I own an xbox controller for my pc, and I like my pc setup better for now considering I have not invested in a good HD TV yet. Do you guys recommend buying games like Arkham City, Assassins Creed revelations on PC rather then xbox? Tell me your reasons why?

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Witzig

I've heard Batman: AC is a clusterfuck of problems on the PC and the Assassins Creed games are quite good if you look past the DRM that Ubisoft cattlebrands on every PC release.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

I play most console games on PC if a PC version is available. It depends if it will provide you with a better experience or not. Make sure these games run equal to or better than the console versions would, evaluate your setup (which you have in regards to your TV) and other issues like DRM. How the game performs on your system has to be the main factor in this decision.

My Xbox and my PC are plugged in to the same HDTV so for me its an easy choice, as I can play games at a higher resolution and better framerate with the same display experience.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By haffy

I played AC2 on PC and Xbox. I preferred it on the PC because the load times was shorter.

Mastaofminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mastaofminds

@AlisterCat: Yea, I agree. I have to check the review for each console port to PC to make sure that the PC version will give me the same experience that the console game does. I don't want to run into a bad PC port.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mosdl

@Mastaofminds said:

@AlisterCat: Yea, I agree. I have to check the review for each console port to PC to make sure that the PC version will give me the same experience that the console game does. I don't want to run into a PC port.

Just Cause 2, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, Renegade Ops and Space Marine PC ports were great (on top of PC-specialized games like BF3). It usually helps to wait and check reviews/steam forums for a game to see if there are any issues.

The Batman Arkham City fiasco with DX11 is odd, given that Nvidia is shipping the game with most new dx11 cards and Asylum was a really good port.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonPixel
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jetsetwillie

i buy my multiplatform games on the PC as i want 1080p and a 60fps and i've yet to be disappointed by any game i bought yet.

Mastaofminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mastaofminds

@DonPixel: Awesome review! So Batman AC is good, but what about batman AS? I am also still behind on the last 3 Assassin Creed games.

Do you guys use an xbox 360 controller for the pc to play these games?

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By canucks23

Most games i would say yes, get on pc. It'll always look better than the 360 version by far, and most games work perfectly fine. The 360 controller is great to use on games that don't feel right with a kb/m, and most multiplat pc games support it now. Do a little research before buying a game though just to make sure that the pc version isn't a total mess.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DonPixel

@Mastaofminds said:

@DonPixel: Awesome review! So Batman AC is good, but what about batman AS? I am also still behind on the last 3 Assassin Creed games.

I've played only the Batman AS Demo, seems to work fine as well. The Assassin Creed games are also good with improved visuals thou I strongly suggest you to get a 360 wired control to play those as they have native support for it.

Both Batman games have native 360 support on the PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mastaofminds said:

what about batman AS? I am also still behind on the last 3 Assassin Creed games.

I've beaten Arkham Asylum and all 3 Assassin's Creed games on PC, they all ran great, they look much better if you have the machine for it. 

@Mastaofminds said:

If there's camera movement (moving the camera around as you play), a mouse will always blow an analog stick out of the water. The only games I use a controller with are sidescrollers, some platformers, sports and driving games. Otherwise it's Mouse & Keyboard. 

70% of console ports on PC are great, 20% are OK and 10% are completely broken. So don't worry, the 'bad port' is not as frequent an issue as people make it out to be.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mosdl

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Mastaofminds said:

If there's camera movement (moving the camera around as you play), a mouse will always blow an analog stick out of the water. The only games I use a controller with are sidescrollers, some platformers, sports and driving games. Otherwise it's Mouse & Keyboard. 70% of console ports on PC are great, 20% are OK and 10% are completely broken. So don't worry, the 'bad port' is not as frequent an issue as people make it out to be.

Some games work great with mixed mouse/keyb and controller. Just Cause 2 - driving/flying works much better with controller, and walking around with mouse/keyb.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

Depends on what game, look on the steam forum at the particular game you are interested in and see if there are any problems with it.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

@Dagbiker said:

Depends on what game, look on the steam forum at the particular game you are interested in and see if there are any problems with it.

Mmm I don't know about this, PC crowd is specially sensitive and bitch out of proportion any issue. Personally I'll go with a professional review.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Torrim

I've generally had no problem, though there are a few issues I sometimes run into, such as Borderlands and Dead Island having no VSync option in the menu (resulting in some config editing) and the occasional input lag like Just Cause 2. It's a trade off, really. Console versions have the fewest problems and are pretty pick up and play, but PC games have the risk of being totally bunk even though you can run the game with higher textures and sometimes more graphical effects. Most of the time, though, it's only textures and framerate.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

These days, even "PC games" are often back-burner to the console version and it often truly shows. Other times, they're just flat out bad ports of what are essentially console games. This weighs into my decisions, often.

What weighs in more is the style of game and where I want to enjoy it. The last thing I want to do is sit hunched over my keyboard and mouse at my desk (blah blah PC-HDMI-living room blah blah blah) for more hours on top of the ten or twelve or more hours I spend doing actual work in the same spot and position. So, if it's a PC-specific shooter that I really want to enjoy there (BF3, Red Orchestra 3, Counter-Strike, etc) I go for the PC without reservation. Same for RTS and strategy games like Civilization (obviously). Same, obviously, for MMOs and really deep RPGs like Skyrim.

However, everything else -- COD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Saints Row, Mass Effect, etc . . . goes on the console. Where I can enjoy it on a massive screen with a massive audio system in the dark from the comfort of a huge sofa.

PC-only people will give you a thousand reasons why PC is the only choice. Console-only people will give you a thousand reasons why console is the only choice. One-console only people will give you a reason why only their specific console is the only choice. The fact is, there are many reasons for every platform and a lot of it depends on what where and how you're looking to enjoy it.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By matthias2437

If a game is on PC then might as well get it on PC. Even if you use a controller. The only kind of anoyying thing I have ever expierienced is on some of the cheaper ports it will still show like "Press A to start" but thats on the lowest of the low ports.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it's fine, just use a gamepad and it's a pretty similar experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f932bae652a
    deactivated-58f932bae652a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthias2437: A lot of top-tier games, like Fallout 3 (haven't played New Vegas yet) do this too. The menu system is one of the most annoying things about that game.

Mastaofminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mastaofminds

@Branthog said:

These days, even "PC games" are often back-burner to the console version and it often truly shows. Other times, they're just flat out bad ports of what are essentially console games. This weighs into my decisions, often.

What weighs in more is the style of game and where I want to enjoy it. The last thing I want to do is sit hunched over my keyboard and mouse at my desk (blah blah PC-HDMI-living room blah blah blah) for more hours on top of the ten or twelve or more hours I spend doing actual work in the same spot and position. So, if it's a PC-specific shooter that I really want to enjoy there (BF3, Red Orchestra 3, Counter-Strike, etc) I go for the PC without reservation. Same for RTS and strategy games like Civilization (obviously). Same, obviously, for MMOs and really deep RPGs like Skyrim.

However, everything else -- COD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, Saints Row, Mass Effect, etc . . . goes on the console. Where I can enjoy it on a massive screen with a massive audio system in the dark from the comfort of a huge sofa.

PC-only people will give you a thousand reasons why PC is the only choice. Console-only people will give you a thousand reasons why console is the only choice. One-console only people will give you a reason why only their specific console is the only choice. The fact is, there are many reasons for every platform and a lot of it depends on what where and how you're looking to enjoy it.

Well put Branthog. I guess you mean Red Orchestra 2? I would have to disagree with you on COD being played on the couch. FPS are PC only IMO. Same goes with RTS, MMO, and deep RPG's.

If you have a good setup (HD TV, Comfortable couch, Sound System Etc..) then playing most open world adventure games that require those long hours. I agree the sofa is a better situation. A lot of those games now a days take advantage of the HD setup to the max.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog
    @Mastaofminds said:

@Branthog said:

Well put Branthog. I guess you mean Red Orchestra 2? I would have to disagree with you on COD being played on the couch. FPS are PC only IMO. Same goes with RTS, MMO, and deep RPG's.

If you have a good setup (HD TV, Comfortable couch, Sound System Etc..) then playing most open world adventure games that require those long hours. I agree the sofa is a better situation. A lot of those games now a days take advantage of the HD setup to the max.

Yeah, Red Orchestra 2. Didn't catch the typo. I don't play COD on PC because it just doesn't feel right. I've tried and failed to articulate exactly why several times here on GiantBomb. I think part of it is that everything in COD feels geared toward less than a dozen players and almost every server on PC seems to be 32. The few times I tried to play on PC, it was just a bunch of random slaughter. People spawning and instantly dying. Running ten feet, first, if they're lucky.

When it comes down to it, a lot of it is just an arbitrary choice and even I can't completely describe my logic behind it. These days, I tend to default to the 360 for a game, unless it's known to be best on PS3 or is (obviously) a PS3 exclusive. Then, if it's a game that will obviously be best (and I'm not just talking graphically) on the PC, then that's where I buy it. But again, though there is some degree of logic behind the decision at the moment, it's sometimes pretty arbitrary. For example, I wouldn't bother playing Assassins' Creed on the PC or a racer or COD or Mass Effect or any number of other games. On the other hand, it wouldn't even occur to me to play the console version of Skyrim or Civilization (if they had one - other than Revolutions) or Counter-Strike or Team Fortress or Battlefield (though I do often buy the PC version of games I've played on the console, but only because they get insanely cheap on he PC and even if I never get around to playing Mass Effect on the PC, it's nice to have for $5).

Just a bit of background - I'm not a console person. The first computer I ever really used was a Vic-20 in 1984. Then a variety of 286, 386, 486, Pentium through the 90s and so on. Even today, I run a high end gaming rig (I'm the guy that buys the $500-$700 video card and then builds a whole new rig every 12-24 months). I didn't even buy my first console until I got a Wii, 360, and PS3 maybe four or five years ago. In fact, I used to talk a lot of shit about consoles before I gave them a real shot (and giving them a shot opened me up to a whole new world of games beyond the western-style RPG, MMO, Strategy, and FPS).

So, though I'm a PC-gamer at heart, I don't really have any loyalties anywhere.
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice is wait for sales if you are going with digital distributions. EA had Arkham City for sale for $25 during black friday. Steam had some killer sale slike $5 for Dead Space 2. Wait for the upcoming christmas sale to get the most value.

For an added bonus add the free dragon age legends on EA's Origin to your cart to get a $10 coupon off a $30 order.

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon is having 19 days of deals and a ton of stuff is on sale for the videogames section for all platforms. Keep an eye out on them.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rynbeed

After getting a good PC and nice monitor I very quickly traded in all my multiplatform games and never looked back. Gaming, for me, on the PC has looked better, loadsfaster, can be costomized and tends to play better.

I also got a wireless thingy for the wireless 360 controller and that has been great.

So, solid PC and quality monitor provided, I would recommend the switch.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By clstirens

@Branthog said:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Schiavini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Schiavini

Here in Brazil I pay about US$ 90,00 for a Xbox360 game (without imports), but with Steam and related stores I can pay about US$ 20,00 or 30,00. And almost everything on PC looks really better than the consoles.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spankmealotus

You should play Saints Row 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.