Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Buying Disc version of games, now can I install and toss the disc

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agentboolen

O.k. so I'm usually a console gamer, I just recently picked up a new PC and decided that I would see what this machine can do.  So I run to the local Target pick up a copy of NBA 2k10 on clearance for only $5 and installed it.  Now the game is installed but I'm noticing it doesn't seem to give me the option to not use the actual DVD disc, seems like SecureRom wants the disc.  The machine has a lot of memory in it and I would rather just install the whole disc and toss it to the side and not have to use it while playing.  Is there a way to do this?  Should I have to do anything special?  I know I could have picked up the game on Steam for $20 and not had to worry about having a disc, so I would imagine that installing all the contents from the disc should be possible.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

Try adding the game to steam? As for details on how to do this, i havn't done it before, so someone else, or steam forums maybe of more help.

Essentially, the whole game is installed to your system. The disc isn't needed at all. You could go get a crack off the net somewhere. A lot of games these days don't bother with the disc after installation anymore, quite rare to find one that does. Maybe that's why it was $5. 

Actualy, on that note, my laptop doesn't have a disc drive...
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By agentboolen

O.k. so I was able to get steam to make a short cut but I still need the disc to play it because its just a short cut.  If I knew how to get the product key from the Disc I can just put it in steam and that should work, but again I don't have a clue on how to get the product key.  I have look in the instruction booklet, on the disc. in the disc and all over the case, but there doesn't seem to be any at least from where i'm looking. 

I would think there is a way to get the product key, I have heard and just recently tried a program called 
    Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1  but it did not seem to be able to help me on this.

If anyone else has any helpful info I would really appreciate it.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

That's cute. I would advise you to get a NoCD crack, but then you'll stumble upon dozens of sites that will infect your PC with the most wondrous stuff.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By agentboolen
    @Meowayne:  It seems odd to me that PC Disc users would have to go to such extremes to play games with out a Disc.  Now is this with all DVD disc games?  Or is it only with some DVD disc games?  And if it is just with some disc games is there anyway of finding out which disc games only allow disc to be in machine play and which ones allow no disc.  At this point it seems to me that Steam has a bit of a advantage over the retail stores.
    sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By sgt_match

um... Basketball game... on the pc... 5 dollar game...  I think running without the DVD  is the least of your concerns.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shirogane
    @agentboolen said:
    " @Meowayne:  It seems odd to me that PC Disc users would have to go to such extremes to play games with out a Disc.  Now is this with all DVD disc games?  Or is it only with some DVD disc games?  And if it is just with some disc games is there anyway of finding out which disc games only allow disc to be in machine play and which ones allow no disc.  At this point it seems to me that Steam has a bit of a advantage over the retail stores. "

Older games mostly want discs. But anything more recent generally will do an online activation or something, and only require the disc for install. 
    Way to find out? Internet. You essentially have to research it beforehand, they won't say anything on the box mostly, and store clerks know jack all about games, let alone something this specific.
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By newhaap

Almost all PC games nowadays require you to have the disc in the drive as a form of piracy protection. This has been done a lot of different ways since the early days of PC gaming (requiring players to refer to printed code wheels, find words on specific pages of the printed manual, etc). Ubisoft now even requires players to be online to be able to play Assassin's Creed 2 for the PC, and will stop the game if you have network connection issues etc.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agentboolen

Thanks everyone for the information.  I guess next time I'll do a little research before hand.  But either way it was only $5 so i don't mind to much.

@sgt_match:  I don't usually play sports games and besides the clearance price really sold it for me.  With that said the game isn't that bad.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @agentboolen: 
    http://m0007.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_nba_2010.shtml Boom!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's an early form of drm, before all this securerom stuff, it's how developers protect their games from pirates. Obviously it didn't work, however it doesn't read anything from the disc, only uses it to check that you do have the game, it's all streamed from the hardrive usually.  

I wouldn't throw anything away, you need the cd key. I lost one of them, I can't play unreal tournment 3 anymore until I find my instruction booklet, so don't throw anything away.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " @agentboolen:  http://m0007.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_nba_2010.shtml Boom! "
    I'd be careful linking that kind of stuff, I don't think there's anything wrong with no-cd cracks but some sites clamp down on it like it's piracy. 
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agentboolen
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " @agentboolen:  http://m0007.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_nba_2010.shtml Boom! "
    Wow!!!  Thats a solution.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @agentboolen: 
    I never consider NOCD patches to be piracy or anything, sometimes people want to install and forget. So. have fun. Invest in a gamepad, its the only way to play sports game on PC
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By agentboolen
    @HypoXenophobia:  Well yea I own the DVD and I'm not planning on getting rid of it at gamestop like some people would do, so I think its a good way to travel light....  Far as I'm concerned if the Steam people are able to play it with out a DVD so should the DVD people!!!  Its a Ass Backwards world we live in and its hard to play by the rules because of that.  

For the controller yep I already have a Xbox 360 receiver I really like getting more gaming out of my Xbox 360 controllers, its nice using them for the Xbox 360 itself and then switching to the PC with the switch of a button.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Branthog
    @Meowayne said:
    " That's cute. I would advise you to get a NoCD crack, but then you'll stumble upon dozens of sites that will infect your PC with the most wondrous stuff.   "
    Not to mention the questionable legality of NoCD cracks as many people considering using your legally purchased material in your own completely reasonable and convenient manner as circumventing DRM. It's one of the things that pisses me off about both PC and console gaming. It's like Mass Effect 2. It was two discs. I spent awhile installing BOTH of them on the console and what happens? Part way through it makes me switch discs while playing. And then AGAIN later on! I shouldn't even need the fucking disc IN the machine, much less SWITCHING them. What is this, 1991?
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Black_Raven

I use no-cd patches, fuck what people say, I bought the game fair and square and now I want to play it without constantly swapping disks in and out of my DVD drive.

Oh and by the way, the whole game does install onto your harddrive, having the cd in the computer while you start up the game is for security reasons, it doesnt load any game data off the disk.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By mosdl
    @Black_Raven said:
    " I use no-cd patches, fuck what people say, I bought the game fair and square and now I want to play it without constantly swapping disks in and out of my DVD drive.  Oh and by the way, the whole game does install onto your harddrive, having the cd in the computer while you start up the game is for security reasons, it doesnt load any game data off the disk. "
    Just be careful, no-cd patches can contain viruses.  Steam has NBA 2k10, so perhaps you can activate it through it?
    rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By rubsnick
    @mosdl said:
    " @Black_Raven said:
    " I use no-cd patches, fuck what people say, I bought the game fair and square and now I want to play it without constantly swapping disks in and out of my DVD drive.  Oh and by the way, the whole game does install onto your harddrive, having the cd in the computer while you start up the game is for security reasons, it doesnt load any game data off the disk. "
    Just be careful, no-cd patches can contain viruses.  Steam has NBA 2k10, so perhaps you can activate it through it? "
    There are very few games that you can activate via steam like this and NBA isn't one of em.... also most NO-CD patchest don't have viruses if not they contain false positives for viruses since they use similar methods to circumvate the DRM. With taht being said anything from gamecopy copy world is completly  safe
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45

Buy your games from Steam in the future. No CD necesary.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo

You're best bet for NO-CD cracks would be a private tracker like Demonoid. If you're interested I could get you a invite. I have an extremely noisy DVD drive which makes playing games while the disk is in a very bad idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.