Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Buying PC parts in the UK

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

So, I'm looking to build my first Desktop but have no idea where to buy things from or what parts are compatible with what.

I've found the later by mainly going through US build guides and have decided that I'd likely build something around a GTX 670 as I've found that online for around £265 and an i5-2500k. I've found some decent prices on Amazon, ebuyer and some other sites but I'd appreciate any recommendations from UK duders.

Also, I know NOTHING about motherboards, power supplies, RAM and cases so any tips there would be great.

EDIT: Thanks so much for all your help so far! I think I'm settling on this build and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tweaks?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fattony12000

@Vitor: I have used these sites over the years.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

If you don't know anything about motherboards and shit, then I suggest you learn! A CPU will have a socket type, that socket needs to match the socket type on the motherboard Same with RAM, dual channel or triple channel, it needs to match what the motherboard takes. These days, a single video card set up will probably be fine with a 650-700 watt PSU. I got this one myself, to power an overclocked GTX 570, 16GB of RAM, 2x HDDs, 1x SSD, i5 2500k, 2x Blu-Ray drives.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Binman88

I used aria.co.uk for a lot of my current hardware (purchased early 2009), and overclockers for some other stuff. I had problems with overclockers when I bought a full system from them in 2007, but they've probably sorted out their lousy customer service since then.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Another recommendation for Scan.co.uk from me. I have shopped with them for years.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoOzak

I usually use Ebuyer as they're pretty good with their return policy, and i've had some shitty luck with parts in the past. You could always try configuring your PC on sites like Overclockersand then scouring the internet for those componants if you're confident enough to build it yourself. At least you'll know the parts will work if put together right. I'm not sure if Tested still has their walkthrough about building a PC but you might want to check that out.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Killercombo

I used Dabs for my build (i5 3570K, ASUS GTX 670, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Corsair 8gb, 2x Crucial 128GB SSDs and Corsair 850W PSU and a Razer Mouse + Keyboard) they are pretty competitive with prices and there delivery is good but the change there prices a lot more than other places.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By theodacourt

I bought everything from Amazon and Ebuyer about a year ago. The most annoying thing was that Ebuyer sent my case out late, so I had parts sitting and waiting while I had nothing to put them in! Still, both are reputable and everything I got came at a decent price so I'd recommend both! If you're spending so much on parts too, I'd recommend spending the few pounds it takes to get a definitive delivery date.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I bought pretty much everything from dabs. They sorted me out and, when I was having trouble with my motherboard, they had it picked up and tested it to make sure it was ok, before shipping it back to me for free. Having said that, I have barely touched my PC since I put it together 4 years ago. She's future-proof, and she still does whatever I tell her to, but it might be time to start looking at upgrades.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor

@Fattony12000 said:

@Vitor: I have used these sites over the years.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

If you don't know anything about motherboards and shit, then I suggest you learn! A CPU will have a socket type, that socket needs to match the socket type on the motherboard Same with RAM, dual channel or triple channel, it needs to match what the motherboard takes. These days, a single video card set up will probably be fine with a 650-700 watt PSU. I got this one myself, to power an overclocked GTX 570, 16GB of RAM, 2x HDDs, 1x SSD, i5 2500k, 2x Blu-Ray drives.

Thanks! £100 is more than I was expecting for a PSU but still, I can get the GPU for £260, the PSU, CPU and RAM together for £300 and if I add a case and motherboard, that comes out to around £700 which is an ideal price.

How's this for a build so far?

@BoOzak said:

I usually use Ebuyer as they're pretty good with their return policy, and i've had some shitty luck with parts in the past. You could always try configuring your PC on sites like Overclockersand then scouring the internet for those componants if you're confident enough to build it yourself. At least you'll know the parts will work if put together right. I'm not sure if Tested still has their walkthrough about building a PC but you might want to check that out.

Yeah, in terms of the best prices out there, I seem to be doing a mix of them, amazon and overclockers.

Never built a PC before but I feel up to the task and it's SO much cheaper than having it pre-built.

InsaneMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InsaneMatt

I regularly use Ebuyer for my components.

Other than a G500 that had a manufacturing issue (which they happily replaced), I've never had an issue with them.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SamStrife

I use Amazon to get all my PC parts for a number of reasons. Firstly, I am a Prime member and I get everything shipped next day for free. Secondly, their returns policy is nigh on fantastic. A power surge destroyed all my parts whilst I was installing them and Amazon replaced them all with next day delivery and collected my faulty parts at no cost.

I would also say to avoid Vengeance RAM. I say that because it's a bit large, so if you want to install an after market CPU cooler (and if you're like me and fall completely down the rabbit hole, you will) it can get in your way.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By 49th

I bought everything from ebuyer and amazon - just look for the cheapest prices. Both were great service.

Overclockers were generally more expensive and when something was cheaper it was only 1 small item so just made more sense to order with the rest of the stuff I was getting.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor

@SamStrife said:

I use Amazon to get all my PC parts for a number of reasons. Firstly, I am a Prime member and I get everything shipped next day for free. Secondly, their returns policy is nigh on fantastic. A power surge destroyed all my parts whilst I was installing them and Amazon replaced them all with next day delivery and collected my faulty parts at no cost.

I would also say to avoid Vengeance RAM. I say that because it's a bit large, so if you want to install an after market CPU cooler (and if you're like me and fall completely down the rabbit hole, you will) it can get in your way.

That's really good to know. I might look into getting prime. Does that apply to third party vendors as well or only items bought directly through amazon?

Unfortunately I've already had my free trial before so not sure I can try that again but the £49 a year might be worth it if I buy all my items from them.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

Sorry to bump this up but I was just wondering how that build is looking? Am I missing anything major or should that do?

AdesteFideles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AdesteFideles

@SamStrife said:

I use Amazon to get all my PC parts for a number of reasons.

i started doing the same a few years back. saving a few quid on parts is good, but having the piece of mind that is amazons returns policy is better.

to OP: if you plan on (aggressively) overclocking your cpu, budget for a better cooling solution.

OG10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OG10

The rig looks good, but I am sure v4 is not that fast. You'd be better going with a 500MB/s ssd like Samsung 830/840, use that for your OS and get a cheaper ssd like the crucial to dump your games onto.

Kaiserhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Kaiserhawk

Overclockers.co.uk is pretty coo'

PetterRareBit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PetterRareBit

I've had pretty poor experience from ebuyer. Faulty CPU's, even after two replacements.

Scan.co.uk is epic though. I've been using them for a while and the support there it exceptional.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.