Can anyone name a good Open World Pirate game?

#1 Posted by NateDestruction (38 posts) -

Whats up with the lack of open world Pirate games? 
 The very nature of the subject material cries out for a world based on exploration and finding interesting things.
 Can anyone tell me of any games like this or if any are in the pipeline?

#2 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Sid Meier's Pirate's is about the only quality pirate title isn't it?

There's a lack of gritty pirate movies as well. I want a nice hard R rated pirate movie.

#3 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've been looking for an open world pirate RPG for a while now. A good one doesn't exist.(I don't really count Sid Meier's Pirates!)

#4 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -
#5 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -

I wish every night for Rockstar San Diego to make one. 

#6 Edited by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -
#7 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Risen 2. An open world pirate RPG, although you can't actually fight in ship battles. I think it's coming sometimes in 2012.

#8 Edited by MonetaryDread (1993 posts) -

Bethesda released a Pirates of the Carribean Open World RPG based on the Morrowind engine. 

It is a little older, but Modders are still working on improving the game.  Hell, it almost has as much of an active community as Morrowind does.

#9 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Unfortunately Disney cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the damned which was looking like a descent open world pirate action RPG.  

#10 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Sea Dogs

#11 Edited by Peanut (953 posts) -

Weirdly enough, I want to say the first Pirates of the Caribbean game, which I played on the original Xbox, is a pretty good open-world pirate rpg and I know it's also on PC. I don't recall a huge amount about it at this point, but I do remember going through towns, sailing from place to place plundering and leveling up various pirate related abilities. You don't play as characters from the movies either. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing characters from the movies in it.

It may just be the insanity of the years talking, but I really really dug that game. I want to say it has some connection to Sea Dogs and that Bethesda put it out. I actually recall buying it at the time just because it had the Bethesda logo on the box and having just come off a year-long Morrowind comma, I bought it.

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@Masha2932: Ya, that made me sad. Hearing them talk about it on the Bombcast made it sound like it was going to be a great game.
#13 Edited by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

@Surkov said:

If we both wish together, maybe it will happen!!

A Rockstar San Diego developed Pirate game would be incredible, but if they were to make one I would hope they wouldn't try to make the game solely base on reality. Maybe go realistic and gritty with a touch of mysticism?

Was the cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean game open world?

#14 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Pirates of Black Cove meets 2 of your 3 criteria, but it kind of sucks as a game. 
Risen 2 is gonna be a pirate game I think.

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5122 posts) -

Get on it Bioware!

#16 Posted by BounceDK (172 posts) -

Risen 2.

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
#18 Posted by cornwalliz (214 posts) -

@Surkov: That would be amazing.

#19 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Sid Meier's Pirates.

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Get on it Bioware!

They don't make open world games...
#20 Posted by ki11tank (677 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Sid Meier's Pirate's is about the only quality pirate title isn't it?

There's a lack of gritty pirate movies as well. I want a nice hard R rated pirate movie.

all that could have poured from my mouth, 100% agreed.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

The first POTC game (which was initially going to be Sea Dogs 2) was pretty good.

#22 Edited by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

The expansion pack to Two Worlds 2 - Called, funny enough, Pirates of the flying fortress. It's not yet released (Releases late in this month actually), but i think it will be great. And you can get both the games for the price of one with the "velvet" Edition. 

#23 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -

Sid Meier's Pirates probably fits that bill in some sense of the word, though the problem with that game is that its DOS roots start showing when you realize that after an hour you've done pretty much everything there is to the game and will spend the rest of your time playing it doing those exact same things.

#24 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1395 posts) -

If someone made an open world pirate RPG, it would probably fall into the commonly disgusting stereotypes of pirates we often see now.  Gimme grit, blood, and loot.

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Sid Meier's Pirates probably fits that bill in some sense of the word, though the problem with that game is that its DOS roots start showing when you realize that after an hour you've done pretty much everything there is to the game and will spend the rest of your time playing it doing those exact same things.

That's about 55 minutes longer than most modern games.

#26 Posted by llamaegg (217 posts) -

Why, everyone knows the best Pirate game of all time was created by none other then Bungie; that being of course Pimps at Sea.

#27 Posted by Red12b (9081 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:

Pirates of the Burning Sea ARGGHHHHHHH

Its an MMO, but I think its open world, Arghhhhhh!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
#28 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (756 posts) -

Another vote for Sid Meier's Pirates, that game is brilliant.

#29 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I'll be the jerk to say it:  EVE Online.   

Ok, I'm only half joking.  I've been playing it some, and I was thinking that a 2D version with sailing ships could be great.  EVE may not feature water pirates, but if you can name a game that lets more effectively live out the dream of robbing folks of their painstakingly acquired stuff, I will play it. 
#30 Posted by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -

@valrog said:

Risen 2: Dark Waters is going to have a pirate theme. Which reminds me, we need more pirate games.

Arghhhh, but its not a very accurate pirate game, no sane pirate would ever go up against a giant spider. If the OP wants a fantasy game with some pirate trappings, then he should get Risen 2 it seems. ARgghhhhhhhh

Arggggghhhhh NO!
#31 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Most of these guys work for the marketing department of Risen 2.

#32 Posted by Oddface (85 posts) -

I would love a good open world pirate game, but I'd prefer it be more lighthearted than something like Risen 2. More Monkey Island, less self-serious, dark fantasy stuff.

#33 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Age of Pirates 2 - City of Abandoned Ships, with the Combined Mod is quite nice for a pirate game. Was a while since I played it but I remember it as "open world"'ly to an extent.

#34 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Pirates of Caribbean, however, it is hard as hell!

#35 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

Uncharted Waters Online is decent...as I've heard.

#36 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

Most of these guys work for the marketing department of Risen 2.

Yeah, and bioware right? Or maybe because Risen 2 is one of the few good pirate games.

Also bioware doesn't make open world games, but a pirate game made by bioware could use a system like mass effect, but instead of space you drive your boat around the ocean to different ports to plunder for resources and do side quests, while major cities are hubs that you do missions in. No need to be so cynical man.

#37 Posted by NateDestruction (38 posts) -

Perfect Pirate Open World game would have: 

The Combat of Mount and Blade 
The excitment of exploration from Morrowind 
Ship Upgrades 
A Bioware story 

IS THAT REALLY TOO MUCH TO ASK? 

My friend did pose a good question to me though; what would magic be? Chemists? or more Voodoo? 
#38 Posted by Akyho (1586 posts) -

Pirates of the caribbean.. I know its a movie tie in. Except Bethesda was working on this Pirate game befor the film and so they ended up with it tied to the movie. Otherwise its own game. very good. A little clunky maby but i would advice a try.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/piratesofthecaribbean/index.html

#39 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Mikemcn: Aye matey, but thar be more terrible beasts lurkin' t' islands. Ashbeast, they call it. 
That be one scary creature, arrr. Ye scared yet?
#40 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

Buccaneer on the pc but that game aged quite a bit lol.

#41 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
@Barrock said: 

@Surkov said:
I want both of these things.  Now!
#43 Posted by Dookudoo (1 posts) -

@natedestruction: I felt the same way about pirate games until last year. I liked Sid Meier's Pirates but it just becomes repetitive after awhile and the dancing turned me off. Way too much of a Disney cartoon. However, on the opposite end of the spectrum I hated AC4 Black Flag. That thing felt way to fantasy to me and was more like an arcade game than a serious RPG. Its very pretty graphically speaking but I was really disappointed.

One of the answers already listed in this discussion was Age of Pirates2. I totally agree. I found a site called Pirates Ahoy that is centered around these kind of games last year. The forum there got me searching for old games on ebay. I managed to get and play Seadogs which was excellent. I then moved on to Bethesda's Pirates of the Caribbean with their modder's New Horizons mod installed. This is an incredibly immersive open world RPG experience. I played for a couple months. However it still lacked the sea battle control and realism I was looking for and lacked variety after a while. It has really good quests but its buggy.

I hit paydirt with the Age Of Pirates2 mods. They have a mod called Gentlemen of Fortune that is incredible and one group of modders developed a historical version called Eras that is still a little buggy but the best Pirate RPG experience I've ever had with great questlines, tons of weapons, stuff to find, absolutely gorgeous ships, and places to go and things to do than I ever could have imagined. This game is really hard and it took a little time to develop a good character and really kick ass. But once I got into the grove, I have been playing this thing for months now and am just not tired of it. Its addictive. This thing is like the pirate version of Borderlands. The main dev broke from their site and is planning to start his own site according to his blog. All his whining aside, this mod is just incredible and I hope he releases his new version with bug fixes. Here's the Moddb link http://www.moddb.com/members/modernknight1

The point remains that only with mods and on aging games are there any good pirate RPG experiences available to gamers right now. The Pirates Ahoy modders are in the process of developing their own game in CryEngine that looks really promising but who knows how long it will take them and if they will actually pull it off. With my disappointment of AC4 I continue to search for a pirate game RPG experience that has the best of everything with a modern game engine and graphics behind it and that isn't some fantasy bullcrap. Will any game developer ever bring us that game? I doubt it. But I would sure love it if someone finally got it right. I would probably never leave the house.

Sorry for the necro resurrection, but I couldn't find anywhere else here where people are talking about pirate games and didn't want to start a new discussion.

DUKE

#44 Posted by CorruptedEvil (1820 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.