Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Can Someone Help Me Disable My Caps Lock Notification? (Vista)

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

So I was playing Red Faction: Guerrilla, from that awesome Steam THQ pack, and I can't stop hitting the damn Caps Lock key on accident. When I hit it, the game goes into windowed mode, then runs pretty choppy until I get it back to full screen. The problem with RF: Guerrilla though, is that you can't put the game into fullscreen until you exit out to the main menu. This is a pain in the ass, because the game saves at your safehouse, rather than just wherever you want. Usually I have to play a whole mission with a bad framerate until I can save and exit to the main menu. I also have a pretty small keyboard, making this happen quite a bit.

So my question: Can someone tell me how to disable this little notice without just referring me to some online article? I have NO idea what all that computer jargon means. I have little-to-no computer smarts, so if someone could give me some help in baby talk, I would be very appreciative.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Adamantium

Can't you just map the "Windows mode" button to something else in the options? I only have RF:G on PS3 but it seems like you should be able to set it to something out of the way like Page Up or something...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By Forcen

FYI, this forum is for website related bugs. This question should be in the PC forum.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Forcen: Good Point. Well hey, modders, if you see this, can you move it please?
    @Adamantium: It's not the "Windows" button, though. It's the caps lock button. Right between Tab, A,  and Shift, which are very common buttons in that game.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamantium
    @FunExplosions said:

" @Forcen: Good Point. Well hey, modders, if you see this, can you move it please?
    @Adamantium: It's not the "Windows" button, though. It's the caps lock button. Right between Tab, A,  and Shift, which are very common buttons in that game. "

Good thing I said "Windows mode" then eh? Not referring to the plastic button, but the command that it's mapped to. I should have said "windowed mode", but come on... who's really so picky that they would need that bit of clarification?  :)
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Adamantium: Hmm. I have no idea where that would be. Is that something that would pop up in Task Manager? Again, I have no computer knowledge outside of button clicking, mod installing, and game playing.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

There is likely a registry setting you can use to disable it. I'd recommend googling it.

Alternatively, get a knife and pop the key out of your keyboard. Problem solved :)

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adamantium
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

" There is likely a registry setting you can use to disable it. I'd recommend googling it.  Alternatively, get a knife and pop the key out of your keyboard. Problem solved :) "

With respect, dude's gonna hurt something in the registry more than he would help fix this one problem. Don't fiddle with that unless you really know your stuff. And damn, u beat me to the knife suggestion.  :P

@FunExplosions said:

" @Adamantium: Hmm. I have no idea where that would be. Is that something that would pop up in Task Manager? Again, I have no computer knowledge outside of button clicking, mod installing, and game playing. "

I'm thinking in the options screen of the actual Red Faction Game, maybe on the main menu. Like all of my PC games have an option to change which buttons do what. 

I wouldn't recommend trying to actually change the Caps Lock in Windows itself; though I bet it's possible, it would have worse consequences when you try to use it in all the other apps you have. If it's a real real problem, and you're not married to your hardware, you could always just get a butter knife and carefully pry the Caps Lock key out, but I don't really recommend that either.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Adamantium: Hah. I was actually considering that. But it's on my laptop, so I wouldn't wanna risk it. And sadly, it's not a game-specific problem, because the notification is a little gray box that appears outside the game window that says "CAPS LOCK: ON/OFF." So it's the equivalent of pressing Alt+Tab.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
    @SuperfluousMoniker: Yeah, I started my search Googling it... but that just confused the hell outta me. And with when forum goers were saying, "Look for 'Regedit'," nothing came up on my computer with that name.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@FunExplosions: It's not an HP laptop by chance, is it? I've heard of a program they install by default that runs in the system tray that causes this. Go to control panel -> Programs and Features and look for something called HP On Screen Num Lock / Caps Lock Notification or something and uninstall it. What you're describing isn't default Vista behavior so it's gotta be something third party.

And yeah, popping out keys from laptop isn't probably a great idea, though it's easy to do on a standard desktop keyboard. Once I popped all my keys out and snapped them back in upside down.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adamantium
    @FunExplosions said:

" @Adamantium: Hah. I was actually considering that. But it's on my laptop, so I wouldn't wanna risk it. And sadly, it's not a game-specific problem, because the notification is a little gray box that appears outside the game window that says "CAPS LOCK: ON/OFF." So it's the equivalent of pressing Alt+Tab. "

Ahhh that clears it up, so the game automatically goes to windowed mode when the notification pops? That's a tough one, as those commands are probably hardwired to the display. I know it sucks, but your best bet is calling up whoever made the laptop and asking them how to remove the notice from the screen when you turn capslock on/off. And I really recommend not trying to pry a button out of a laptop, that's a bad idea and probably voids a warranty on the whole thing.

Edit : Yeah if it's an HP try what Moniker said, definitely sounds like it's a laptop thing, that's not standard for Vista.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FunExplosions
    @SuperfluousMoniker:@Adamantium: Well, it's an Alienware Area-51 M9750, but I guess I should just give 'em a call. Wouldn't want to have to reformat... again.
    Thanks for the help, though.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Adamantium
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @SuperfluousMoniker:@Adamantium: Well, it's an Alienware Area-51 M9750, but I guess I should just give 'em a call. Wouldn't want to have to reformat... again. Thanks for the help, though. "
    Yeah Alienware makes good machines dude. From what I understand, their tech support isn't bad either. My only laptop is a Mac, so I just head to my local Mac Store when I have problems like that, but I bet it won't be too tough for them to work out. Anyway good luck. Keep us updated.
    Callando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Callando

This must be a HP problem as I also have a HP laptop and encounter the same problem when playing Assassins Creed. I then must quit all the way to the the desktop to restore the full screen mode.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.