Can You Run It appears to be lying to me...

#1 Posted by Tally_Pants (594 posts) -

I consistently keep getting this "fail" message every time i try and see if I can run a game. It appears from the check list that I'm fine, and from experience I should be. I got this message before from Starcraft II, which I can play no problem...(same with The Witcher [first one, not 2]); this screen shot is from Darksiders (was planning to pick it up for the $5 sale on amazon).

Just wondering why it tells me its a fail and I should upgrade, when I don't think I should have to.

HP EliteBook 8440w is what I'm running (work laptop), all other specs listed in pic.

#2 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

I've found that Can You Run It falls down on some graphics card stuff. I've got a lowly Intel HD3000 in my laptop and Can You Run It always tells me that it can't run games. Every single time. But I can run Starcraft 2, Star Trek Online etc just fine. Every single time it tells me that I don't meet the requirements. I just stopped using it.

#3 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

Its told me I can run quite a few games that I can't.

#4 Edited by korkesh (133 posts) -

You graphics card is specific to laptops, so it usually isnt listed as a supported card. Your graphics card is equivalent to any entry level graphics card coming out on the desktop.

It should run most games but don't expect to push its limits too much.

#5 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Tally_Pants: In mobile GPU terms, yours is equivalent to a Geforce 310m. In desktop GPU terms, it's probably around a 9400 GT or HD 5450 level of performance. So, it is actually slower than the minimum specifications at least in this particular instance.

#6 Posted by Stonyman65 (2873 posts) -

Yeah Can You Run I is kinda finicky sometimes when it comes to integrated graphics and such. Also, having outdated drivers causes some problems too.

To be honest, it is really more a a guideline than an actual benchmark. Just because it says you can or cannot play it doesn't mean that it is true. you just have to try the game out and see for yourself. Also remember that it doesn't count resolution as a factor either, which is a pretty big thing to consider when talking about what specific cards can run.

#7 Posted by cliffhenjum (1 posts) -

Hi everyone, I'm working for CanyouRunIt as the community manager and this thread was brought to my attention. Stonyman65 makes some good points. We base all of our tests off of the published minimum and recommended requirements. There will be times when you will be below this mark and still able to play the game on a lower setting. Unfortunately when this happens, we will tell your hardware fails. We figure that this is better than setting our tests lower, having it say you pass, and then it doesn't work when you go to play it.

@-Methodman do you remember which games it passed you on? This is the kind of thing we don't want to see happening so I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you

#8 Posted by Tally_Pants (594 posts) -

Thanks for the replies guys. Your comments make sense. I went to pick up Darksiders anyway (it was only $5!) but turns out Amazon downloads are not available in Canada... boned again by the Canadian internet... a proud part of our heritage! Inferior services at twice the price, welcome to Canada!

#9 Posted by believer258 (12205 posts) -

The one thing that proponents of "Can You Run It?" never seem to grasp is that the website doesn't do so well with onboard graphics at all. In fact, it hardly even recognizes them.

I've tried to explain that it doesn't really work a number of times but it never fails...@cliffhenjum said:

Hi everyone, I'm working for CanyouRunIt as the community manager and this thread was brought to my attention. Stonyman65 makes some good points. We base all of our tests off of the published minimum and recommended requirements. There will be times when you will be below this mark and still able to play the game on a lower setting. Unfortunately when this happens, we will tell your hardware fails. We figure that this is better than setting our tests lower, having it say you pass, and then it doesn't work when you go to play it.

@-Methodman do you remember which games it passed you on? This is the kind of thing we don't want to see happening so I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you

Really? Well, why doesn't your website do so well with onboard chips at all? It told me I couldn't run Half-Life 2 on Intel HD graphics (which is what everything says mine is), but I can run it just fine. Same with Left 4 Dead, Far Cry, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, etc.. Is there something wrong with how it detects onboard chips?

#10 Posted by StormedRay (1 posts) -

I put a new graphics card in and Can you Run it still only picks up the Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

I installed the graphics card drivers and uninstalled the chipset drivers still the same BullSh@t. Went to BIOS setup and changed primary display adapters to PCI-E and still the same promblem

#11 Edited by Devildoll (912 posts) -

the only thing it does is compare the requirements on the back of the box against what you have in your computer.

it doesn't actually run any tests. the site isn't doing a bad job, its doing as good a job as it can. but at least for me, it doesn't cut it.

don't use it rely 100% on it.

If you have a computer that is so bad that a modern game might not run, you need to invest in a new one anyway, cause that would mean most games dont run.

if you want an accurate assessment, find a graphics card review that runs the game that also includes your card, or compare your graphics card to one of the cards that is present in the review.

the best is of course to run the demo, if there isn't an official demo, run the "demo".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.