Casual, relaxing, podcasting, time killing game for $10-20

Posted by rachelepithet (1332 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Casual, relaxing, podcasting, time killing game for $10-20 (107 votes)

Minecraft 50%
Farming Sim 2013 7%
TrackMania or Shootmania 19%
Other 21%

Which would you choose? I'm new again to PC gaming, well, since my computer broke in 2010. I want to catch up on everything I missed, but I can't afford everything at once. I'm looking for a game to chill out too, a game you could listen to a podcast and play, without winners and losers, casual... but not FarmVille casual. So either an artsy creative game, a puzzler, or a hardcore sim thats methodically paced and that I could just fudge around in trying to break it like the GB guys do in their quicklooks. 360 controller for windows support would be a bonus, as well as non-competitive multiplayer, and no story or cutscenes to have to pay full attention to.

#1 Posted by dungbootle (2455 posts) -

Minecraft is my favorite for podcast-listening. Sometimes I actively build stuff, sometimes I just run around.

#2 Edited by EquitasInvictus (1961 posts) -

I'm all for Minecraft, too. Great playing with friends, as well.

#3 Posted by rachelepithet (1332 posts) -

I guess Train Sim is on sale now, too. But that seems to be exploitative, isnt that the one with $4,000 in DLC? I wonder if you'd get much out of the main game. Truck Sim was on sale a few weeks back for $20, if it hits that again soon, its another big choice.

#4 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Non of the above. I always go for Civ 5, Bejeweled 3, or FTL for this sort of thing.

#5 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1350 posts) -

Minecrat hands down...and if you get tired of the vanilla experience there are tons of mods to drastically change it up. Listen to podcast and dig a 2x1 tunnel to nowhere 60 meters under ground hoping to find diamond is unbeatable.

#6 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Torchlight is this for me.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Minecraft, Borderlands, DOOM, and Torchlight are all great podcast games.

#8 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

Minecraft, Farming Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, Terraria. I've spent the last week sinking hours into Terraria and catching up on podcasts.

#9 Edited by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

I'm partial to Terraria myself. But in that vein Minecraft would be good too.

#10 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Terraria is maybe the epitome of a podcast game.

#11 Edited by TooWalrus (13132 posts) -

World of Warcraft for me. If you ever want to burn through 10 seasons of The Biggest Loser... get into WoW.

EDIT: Didn't realize you included a price range. I'm actually not sure what base WoW goes for now days, but it can't be too expensive.

#12 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Trackmania is far from relaxing. I vote Minecraft.

#13 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Lately Dragon's Dogma's been a really great podcast game for me while I'm replaying it and waiting for the expansion but I usually fall back to something like Civ V or Terraria when I want to just hang out and chill.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

I guess Train Sim is on sale now, too. But that seems to be exploitative, isnt that the one with $4,000 in DLC? I wonder if you'd get much out of the main game. Truck Sim was on sale a few weeks back for $20, if it hits that again soon, its another big choice.

As crazy as the DLC is I don't think you're supposed to buy all of it. I think it's more if you're like a major train nerd and you HAVE to play this one train on this one train track, that option is there for you if you want to spend 40 bucks. I've owned this game back when it was Train Simulator 2, and they upgrade you to the new versions as they come out for free, which includes extra stuff.

So the main game has enough content to keep you satisfied, the real question is, is the game worth 20 bucks and can you derive any enjoyment out of it? I'm not sure I managed to. I don't care too much for trains, so the novelty of simulating one wore off after a few missions.

#15 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

Team Fortress 2

#16 Edited by EVO (3851 posts) -

Other: Splice.

#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (5514 posts) -

I would also like to mention Terraria. I like it way better than these games.

#18 Edited by rachelepithet (1332 posts) -

Already had Terraria. Never got it to scale right full screen on my hardware.

#19 Edited by BeachThunder (11652 posts) -

@evo said:

The music in that game is incredible, it seems a shame to mute it :(

Anyway, Dungeons of Dredmor and Bookworm Adventures 2 have been good podcast games for me.

#20 Edited by EVO (3851 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@evo said:

The music in that game is incredible, it seems a shame to mute it :(

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. It's worth listening to at least once.

#21 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2453 posts) -

Torchlight is this for me.

Listening to GOTY discussions playing Torchlight is a yearly tradition for me. Two times playing Torchlight I, last time playing Torchlight II.

From the given selection, I chose Minecraft, but pretty much any sandboxy game will do.

#22 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I heard Euro Truck Sim 2 fits right into this bracket.

#23 Posted by csl316 (7986 posts) -

Audiosurf is great. Playing on the ninja mode is super relaxing.

#24 Posted by WasabiCurry (419 posts) -

When Minecraft first came out, I spent way too many hours playing that game. Nowadays, my little sister plays it, but if you want a relaxing time to just build stuff. Minecraft would be good.

Also, Terraria. Though I had more fun playing with other people than by myself.

#25 Edited by Slay3r1583 (599 posts) -

Euro Truck Simulator 2

#26 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

Football Manager... and everyone goes whaaaaa?

#27 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Driving games, yo.

Or, as others have mentioned, a Torchlight or a Diablo.

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

How do you not have Minecraft? Also, that game is pretty good for that sort of stuff, but I think it's best enjoyed with people so I would really suggest against it. I'd suggest something like Euro Truck Sim 2, or Farming Sim. Unless you want to play that in multiplayer too.

#29 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Victoria 2

#30 Edited by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Burnout Paradise is by far my favorite "podcast game". I've tried other racing games, but they just don't work as well for me. Too many menus or something.

#31 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I've recently been listening/watching other things while playing Warframe.

#32 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

I usually play some Left 4 Dead 2 co-op while listening to podcasts. Makes the game harder cause I turn the volume way low so it makes it hard to hear the audio cues, but that just makes the experience that much better.

#33 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Well, Dungeons of Dredmor, or other various dungeon crawlers/rogue-likes are always great.

#34 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Well, Dungeons of Dredmor, or other various dungeon crawlers/rogue-likes are always great.

This and/or FTL are perfect for it.

#35 Posted by Superfriend (1522 posts) -

Terraria. Love that game, even though I can't stand Minecraft.

#36 Edited by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is my go-to.

#37 Posted by Linkster7 (1009 posts) -

FTL, Binding Of Isaac, Peggle, Puzzle Quest are my favorites.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.