Co-op games?

#1 Posted by Schlookum (35 posts) -

hey dudes!

Its possible another thread around here but I been looking.

I was just wondering about recomendations for co op games, me and a buddy has been playing splinter cell conviction and Left 4 dead 2 and its all been fun and games but now we wanna expand with new games. So your recommendations?

#2 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

Are you looking for an online of split-screen experience?

For split-screen play I'd recommend both Trine games. The games support up to 3 players in co-op mode, but it's much more fun when two players are able to switch between the three characters. What I've been playing online with my friends lately is Renegade Ops. The mayhem of the game really benefits from having a few buddies playing at the same time.

#3 Posted by j0rdan (211 posts) -

Left 4 Dead is an obvious great co-op game.

supports both online and local split screen play too.

Portal another good co-op experience.

If your willing to go back abit, System Shock 2 could be played co-op with the patch installed and if you can find it, install the tecture and mesh packs too which make the game look much prettier.

#4 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

Are the deadly alliance games co-op? specifically the new one.

#5 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

Oh, and obviously Borderlands!

#6 Posted by j0rdan (211 posts) -

Battlefield 3 also has some co-op missions

#7 Posted by j0rdan (211 posts) -

Most RTS games can be played Co-OP too

#8 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Saints Row 3

#9 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

For split screen:

Rayman Origins

Twisted Metal (if you have a ps3)

Army of 2 (either one)

Kane & Lynch 2

Borderlands

Those are some games that me and my friend had/ having fun playing coop with.

#10 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -

Dungeon Defenders is pretty cool in co-op! it even has 4 player split screen options on PC!

#11 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Why are people using the term "split screen" for same-screen couch co-op games? Trine doesnt have a split screen, it has both players on the same screen. 

Anyway, for same-PC couch co-op, these were very entertaining for me and my cousin:  

For two PCs on LAN or online: 
The only split-screen co-op I've ever played was Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and... while it wasn't great, it wasn't too bad. 

>>> Use cooptimus.com for all your co-operative info pleasure.
#12 Posted by JCTango (1358 posts) -

@Schlookum: Besides those listed above, I would recommend trying out Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's somewhat old, but it's still pretty dang fun, especially if you add in some mods/custom heroes.

#13 Edited by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Why are people using the term "split screen" for same-screen couch co-op games? Trine doesnt have a split screen, it has both players on the same screen.
(...)
Use cooptimus.com for all your co-operative info pleasure.

Quoted for truth. Anyway, a couple of suggestions:

Online Co-op

Borderlands, Alien Swarm, Hoard, Magicka, Portal 2, Beat Hazzard: Ultra.

Local Co-op

Jamestown, Tobe's Vertical Adventure, Trine.

#14 Posted by Schlookum (35 posts) -

thanks dudes, I forgot to mention that the only system I play games on is the Pc so while I am sure the Ps3 and 360 games are great, it aint for me.

#15 Edited by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

Baldur's Gate! You won't be searching for new games for quite some time ;)

And do play Portal 2. It's great.

#16 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -

@VoleMaulder said:

Baldur's Gate! You won't be searching for new games for quite some time ;)

wait what? BG had co-op options? via LAN or online too?

#17 Posted by Zelyre (1128 posts) -

@DeF said:

@VoleMaulder said:

via LAN or online too?

LAN and dial up. I never thought the coop was very good; the game wasn't very suited for it. If both players have pause capabilities, you end up pausing and unpausing the game over each other way too often. If only one player has pause capabilities, the other player gets frustrated.

I'd suggest NWN over Baldur's Gate for coop.

#18 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Synergy Mod for Half life 2 (and ep1 and ep2) gives plenty of coop fun.

#19 Posted by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 can still be played co-op online. If you are determined to do so I would suggest following the mod guides in the GOG forum (either Tutu for the 1st game and then move on to the 2nd, or the mod that makes the two games one, provided you want to start from the beginning) and do it through Gameranger. It's the only thing that worked for me. With a bit of coordination and planning before you start it can be done. Especially if it's only two people playing. NWN never managed to hold my attention for long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.