Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

cod4 cod5

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

if I were to get one what would be better cod4 or cod5? and does 5 include prestiging? 

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PremierOctopus

They both have a lot of support behind them and will continue to be supported, and in both you won't have any trouble finding players. COD5 has all of the same levelling up and prestiging that 4 has. I personally think the guns are more satisfying in 4, so I'd go for that. But that's just me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

Cod4 is far superior. Also its' not Cod5, its World at War, the way the numbering is going, the NEXT cod that comes out in 09 could possibly be called Cod5.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crunchUK
    pause422 said:
    "Cod4 is far superior. Also its' not Cod5, its World at War, the way the numbering is going, the NEXT cod that comes out in 09 could possibly be called Cod5."
    they WANT you to forget about the amount of call of dutys..............

anyway both games  are rather.. eurgh but i'd go with cod5
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HelixSnake
    crunchUK said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Cod4 is far superior. Also its' not Cod5, its World at War, the way the numbering is going, the NEXT cod that comes out in 09 could possibly be called Cod5."

anyway both games  are rather.. eurgh but i'd go with cod5"
    They WANT you to know that Treyarch games are offshoots and not the main Call of Duty games developed by IW.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    WaW is crap. When playing it, all you want to do is pop in the COD4 disc.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "pause422 said:

They WANT you to know that Treyarch games are offshoots and not the main Call of Duty games developed by IW."
    no

you just want to believe that

cod = ultimate rehash, no matter how you twist it by going "oh but treyarch doesn't count!!1111"
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "pause422 said:

They WANT you to know that Treyarch games are offshoots and not the main Call of Duty games developed by IW."
    no

cod = ultimate rehash, no matter how you twist it by going "oh but treyarch doesn't count!!1111"
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HelixSnake
    crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "pause422 said:

no

cod = ultimate rehash, no matter how you twist it by going "oh but treyarch doesn't count!!1111""
    You're an idiot.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

I, maybe some do , but I don't hate Treyarch at all, I'm just generally tired of WW2 games. I tried WaW, from the beta to renting it. It's mp is just far worse than cod4. Yes, they try to basically clone it, then add another 10 ranks to say "me too! and look, we added some more! we're better!" They fucked up hardcore modes damage though heavily, and the level design is just horrible. Main reason it's worse. SP is nothing special, but I was looking forward to co-op I will say...and they fucked up co-op as well. Some stand behind the zombie mode also, but as soon as I was playing just the L4D demo, that entire mode just felt slow and inferior.

If you like WW2 setting/weapons more, I'd say go with that, but in general the better made game for reasons listed above, is cod4. This is just dumb to point out now though, because there was like 45 threads witht his exact topic around WaW's beta and initial release.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "pause422 said:

no

cod = ultimate rehash, no matter how you twist it by going "oh but treyarch doesn't count!!1111""
    You're an idiot."
    no i'm just telling you how it is but you don't want to believe that your beloved cod is on the level of madden an NFS with yearly unevolving sequels 
    Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Excuberance

@crunchUK:  (don't want to quote the entire dialog)

The IW games are often reinventing (notably with cod 1 and 4), and will probably keep doing that. The other are "fillers" wanted by activision to cash in on the CoD-brand. No crap on Treyarch, their orders from Activision is probably pretty clear: Take IW:s technology, gamestructure and innovations and make a new game that is basically the same.

Result: IW gets to take longer time doing the game they want to make, while activision still gets to exploit the CoD-name annually. More good games for the uninformed masses, more money to Activision, and more then that: We, the informed minority, can stay clear of the Treyarch games if we want to. Or play it, and get more of the same great game IW originally made.

Everybody wins!

To respond to the original topic: They are pretty much the same, but 4 is probably the better crafted game. 5 on the other side learned some things from 4, and have some expanded featured. I would take 4, but you can really go wrong.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HelixSnake
    crunchUK said:
    "no i'm just telling you how it is but you don't want to believe that your beloved cod is on the level of madden an NFS with yearly unevolving sequels "
    Aren't you that borderline retarded kid that loves Halo 3? That completely stale series that somehow manages to get worse with each installment.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "no i'm just telling you how it is but you don't want to believe that your beloved cod is on the level of madden an NFS with yearly unevolving sequels "
    Aren't you that borderline retarded kid that loves Halo 3? That is a completely stale series that somehow manages to get worse with each installment."
    i lol @ ur damage control
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HelixSnake
    crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    Aren't you that borderline retarded kid that loves Halo 3? That is a completely stale series that somehow manages to get worse with each installment."
    i lol @ ur damage control"
    How is that damage control? Call of Duty isn't stale, as someone else mentioned it reinvented itself with the fourth Call of Duty game. The over saturation you're talking about is Activision's fault not the developer, IW. Infinity Ward has only made three main Call of Duty games, and they are trying to separate themselves from Treyarch's product. Halo, on the other hand, keeps releasing the same game that only appeals to casual gamers, retards and twelve year old children.

Edit:

I don't even get what you mean by over saturation. The games created by Treyarch, with the exception of Call of Duty: United Offensive and Call of Duty: World at War, play and feel totally different from Infinity Ward's games; they just have the same name slapped on the box, which is a decision made by Activision to sell more copies.
    Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Excuberance

Wow, this quickly got out of control, can't you guys have a cagefight somewhere else?

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By darkgoth678
    pause422 said:
    " I, maybe some do , but I don't hate Treyarch at all, I'm just generally tired of WW2 games. I tried WaW, from the beta to renting it. It's mp is just far worse than cod4. Yes, they try to basically clone it, then add another 10 ranks to say "me too! and look, we added some more! we're better!" They fucked up hardcore modes damage though heavily, and the level design is just horrible. Main reason it's worse. SP is nothing special, but I was looking forward to co-op I will say...and they fucked up co-op as well. Some stand behind the zombie mode also, but as soon as I was playing just the L4D demo, that entire mode just felt slow and inferior."
    Yeah I totaly agree with you pause, 
    The only reason I play WaW is because the people that i go to LAN parties with play it, but we're quickly gettting bored of it as it is a pretty buggy game (will work on a 6200 but not a 7300?!? what?!?!) and the fact that we start on WaW and after a round or 2 everyone just goes "lets go back to CoD4. The Maps and levels are designed to give more of a "team play" feel to the game as GameInformer stated in their review, basicaly saying "if you don't go with your team ur going to die" and I haven't played the campaign but I've heard that when u play it it is just very reminisent to other Capaings in some other WWII games like Medal of Honor. 

I even tell my friends when they ask me what I think about WaW I tell them "I think its a CoD4 WWII  mod" because that's all it is, Same engine, same everything- no, WORSE everything with different maps. The respawning algorithym is terrible, the guns just felll worse and less satisfying that CoD4's (not to mention extremily unacurate, i mean yeah it WWII but come on...). 

I do give them props on some things llike, they did enprove on the weapon an character models a bit and improved the over textures of the game but that is quickly overlooked by the terrible gameplay. Also, treyarch never bothered to create any new percks so they have all the same ones but they off balanced them, like, what's up with getting Overkill at like Lv 56?? in CoD4 it was wayyy lower...

anywho, I would say go for CoD4, you will wnjoy it far more, and it will most likely hold you off till the REAL CoD5 by infinity ward, but like everyone has said, if you like the WWII setting then go for WaW. 
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:
    "crunchUK said:
    i lol @ ur damage control"
    How is that damage control? Call of Duty isn't stale, as someone else mentioned it reinvented itself with the fourth Call of Duty game. The over saturation you're talking about is Activision's fault not the developer, IW. Infinity Ward has only made three main Call of Duty games, and they are trying to separate themselves from Treyarch's product. Halo, on the other hand, keeps releasing the same game that only appeals to casual gamers, retards and twelve year old children.

Edit:

I don't even get what you mean by over saturation. The games created by Treyarch, with the exception of Call of Duty: United Offensive and Call of Duty: World at War, play and feel totally different from Infinity Ward's games; they just have the same name slapped on the box, which is a decision made by Activision to sell more copies."
    cod 5 is just cod4 in a new skin which is just cod2 in a new skin

and call of duty is far, far, far more nub orientated than halo, i'd bother explaining it to someone else but really i don't think your brain could handle it, just like you couldn't handle halo and got whipped so soundly you never want to speak of it again.

and if you think cod3 is totally different from cod2 you are rather sadly mistaken - the physics and the gameplay design are nearly identical, just that the MP is slightly different.

and you have to be the simply stupidest person on the planet to think that halo 1, 2 and 3 are even remotely "the same game"

but of course all this is a moot point because you are, a retard
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HelixSnake

I'm not saying Call of Duty isn't noob orientated, I believe both Halo and Call of Duty are noob orientated. You're just a blind halo fanboy, which I won't bother explaining, becuz i dunno how and cnt mak a point cuz im stupid n0 wait itz cuz u cnt handle it lolololollololol

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "I'm not saying Call of Duty isn't noob orientated, I believe both Halo and Call of Duty are noob orientated. You're just a blind halo fanboy, which I won't bother explaining, becuz i dunno how and cnt mak a point cuz im stupid n0 wait itz cuz u cnt handle it lolololollololol"
    no wait ....

you ARE a halo noob
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

I advise CoD 4.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By ComradeKritstov

I'd say go with Call of Duty 4, especially if you plan on playing and enjoying the singleplayer. Just FYI I haven't played WaW, just going by what I've heard people say.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90

COD 4 is still far more popular than World at war so I think you should go for COD4 Modern warfare

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.