Coming back to the fold

#1 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -

I've been out of the pc gaming fold for quite a while now and I need some help with deciding on a new computer for gaming.

I don't have a ton of money and I think I have settle on 2 options but I need help deciding.

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/81166

Or

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/88985

Comments suggestions and opinions welcome

I want a capable machine that can play modern games and will still be upgradable for the future.

Thanks

#2 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

Are you open to building your own PC?

#3 Posted by Rorie (2554 posts) -

@garris: Well, the second computer's on back order on the non-mobile site, so it might not be available. And the NCIXPC Entra I3800 doesn't look like it has a video card built into it; I assume it's just running on-board video, which is fine for Windows but won't be usable for games.

Like Andorski said, are you capable of building a PC or have any friends that can do it? If so, you can set up something nice and customized, but it is complicated. At this point, though, most of what you have to worry about is the strength of the video card - there are budget CPUs that you want to avoid, but for the most part the high-end parts are only necessary if you want to play at something about 1080p or on multiple monitors. If you're happy playing at 1920x1080 on one monitor, there are a lot of mid-range computers that will probably be up your alley.

Staff Online
#4 Edited by Garris (186 posts) -

@rorie: I used to build computers for myself but I haven't for about 12 years so I'm not entirely confident in my abiility.

I think I'll go to ncix and talk to them about what's available. I might check out best buy. I'll post what I find if you don't mind checking back in

I will have to do some more shopping around then.

#5 Posted by Rorie (2554 posts) -

@garris: Yeah, shopping around's usually a good idea. Honestly, putting together a computer is easier now than it probably ever has been, but if it's been 12 years there will probably be some oddities to the whole process. I'd also check Newegg's pre-built computer section, as they often have good deals. If you have Amazon or Amazon Prime, it's usually worth taking the model name for a prebuilt computer and plugging it in over there to check and see if they have the same model at a lower price.

Staff Online
#6 Edited by Scampbell (486 posts) -

I would also recommend building one, though it does demand some through research. Still, it is the best way to make sure you are getting exactly the right components for your needs.

#7 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -

Ugh I just feel overwhelmed looking at this stuff I'm just not sure where to start. Should I start with an intel i5 processor?

#8 Edited by Andorski (5179 posts) -

What is your budget and what do you plan on doing with your PC (besides gaming)? I'm down to give you part recommendations.

#9 Edited by Garris (186 posts) -

I'd like to come in around the 800 dollar mark and the PC would mostly be for games and streaming

And audio

#10 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@garris said:

@rorie: I used to build computers for myself but I haven't for about 12 years so I'm not entirely confident in my abiility.

I think I'll go to ncix and talk to them about what's available. I might check out best buy. I'll post what I find if you don't mind checking back in

I will have to do some more shopping around then.

Honestly the hardest part in building a PC is knowing what parts to get because of the variety. Actually building the thing isn't as hard because you can YouTube steps as a minor guide.

First you need to set your goals on what kind of PC you want. Are you looking for 1080p gaming? because if you are then you should be looking at a 670, don't bother with a 660ti because the 760 is a better buy, but if you want to be ready for the opening of next gen then I suggest nothing lower than a 770.

As for CPU, go with an i5. It's all you need for games. As for generation, go with Ivy bridge unless you want to future proof your machine better then go with the new gen Haswell CPU's.

#11 Edited by Optix12 (609 posts) -

Its good you're looking into this now. I feel if you were able to build something 12 years ago then you should be pretty fine and know the fundamentals of building one now (after you generally research items). As

@colourful_hippie

stated Its best to get an ivy bridge processor now, a motherboard that supports PCI-E 3.0, usb 3.0 and SATA 3 (PCI-E is the standard video card connector GPUs connect nowadays, Sata is how most hard drives/dvd drives connect nowadays).

If you have enough money spare then 8GB ddr3 ram should do (in the UK Ram increased in price recently) and then after the CPU the biggest cost will be the graphics card.

In the UK 670s have been tumbling down in price thanks to the 700 nvidia series being released and the upcoming AMD series. 670s are almost reaching what I paid for my 660 a year and a half ago (2 versions lower).

In terms of if you want to stay current with games for probably another year or two (at 1080p performance) a 670 is a good start but if you want to future proof yourself than a card in the nvidia 700 series will be best (but with your budget I doubt you could afford that).

I am looking to upgrade as I have a processor chip which is 1 generation lower than the ivy bridge (and therefore an out of date motherboard) but has lots of bottlenecks in processing outputs (usb 2.0, sata 2 and pci 2.0) and with the rate the graphics cards are falling it seems like i might just buy a whole new computer.

sorry for the paragraphs of information which may not be of much use.

#12 Posted by Troispoint (267 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: I'm skeptical as to how Haswell is more future proof than Ivy bridge. It really only is an improvement towards energy efficiency and in its integrated graphics.

#13 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -
#14 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -

How do the specs on this one look.

It's seems to be about where I want to end up.

#15 Posted by Rorie (2554 posts) -

@garris: I don't see a link there?

Staff Online
#16 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

@garris: Use this site and start building. Helped me alot. Also check this one out for more reference.

#17 Posted by Troispoint (267 posts) -
#18 Posted by Jnal (213 posts) -

@garris: I had never built a computer on my own until January and spend $1500 in parts. I think you'll be fine so long as you update you knowledge on certain formats and technologies.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: It's ''newer'' but how is it more future proof?

because if you wanted to upgrade from Ivy you'd have to go all new architecture. Haswell will extend that a bit more plus the other more efficient perks and extra USB 3.0's are a nice bonus.

#20 Edited by Garris (186 posts) -

Ok thanks for all the info guys, I think I may have something and have been convinced to self build.

This is pretty much that logical increments Superb build let me know what you think.

Mobo - Gigabyte z87x dh3 - 99.99 after rebate

CPU - i5 4570 - 319.98 bundled with case

heat sink -212 evo - 34.98

ram - 8 gigs - no idea what brand to buy

HD - should I spend the money on a 1tb drive or just get a 120 gig ssd

Power supply - Corsair HX650 - 139.98

Case -Corsair 400 R

Windows 8 - 97.99

Graphics GTX 760 -259.99

Ok so this puts me at about 952.91 without deciding on ram and storage. Is there anything you would change or that you think i've picked that is no needed or unreasonable or is there a cheaper option that you would go with instead.

8 gigs of ram is hilarious to me. I remember building a computer with 2 gigs and we thought it was ridiculous.

Cheers

#21 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

@garris said:

Ok thanks for all the info guys, I think I may have something and have been convinced to self build.

This is pretty much that logical increments Superb build let me know what you think.

Mobo - Gigabyte z87x dh3 - 99.99 after rebate

CPU - i5 4570 - 319.98 bundled with case

heat sink -212 evo - 34.98

ram - 8 gigs - no idea what brand to buy

HD - should I spend the money on a 1tb drive or just get a 120 gig ssd

Power supply - Corsair HX650 - 139.98

Case -Corsair 400 R

Windows 8 - 97.99

Graphics GTX 760 -259.99

Ok so this puts me at about 952.91 without deciding on ram and storage. Is there anything you would change or that you think i've picked that is no needed or unreasonable or is there a cheaper option that you would go with instead.

8 gigs of ram is hilarious to me. I remember building a computer with 2 gigs and we thought it was ridiculous.

Cheers

It's a good start. The CPU+case bundle isn't giving you any deal. They are charging full price for both the CPU and the case. I would recommend that you get a i5-4570 CPU and getting a cheaper case.

You can drop the CPU cooler. Unless you live in a hot area or if your room is abnormally warm the stock cooler that comes with the CPU will be enough. Plus, the CPU you are getting can't be overclocked anyways.

As for RAM, the brands I go for are G.SKILL and Corsair (although there are other trustworthy brands). Just make sure the 8GB RAM you get is 4GBx2 and DDR3-1600. You can go for faster DDR3-1866, 2133, etc. but the speed will be insignificant in practical gaming use and would cost more money.

If you are trying to save money, just go with a 7200rpm HDD. I only recommend SSD if you can afford 128GB or more. Also, since this is a gaming build, I would bump up the GPU to a GTX 770 before considering an SSD.

For the PSU I recommend the Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze. It's cheaper, better quality (Seasonic is one of the most reliable PSU makers), and fully modular.

#22 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -
#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -
#24 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

@garris: Cases are subjective, really. The only thing you have to really consider is if the case is compatible with your motherboard. Just find one that you like the look of and has a good rating on Newegg/Amazon/etc. (just to make sure that the thing is built decently well.)

The case @colourful_hippie posted is good, but if you are trying to save more money you can find a cheaper case that still has good quality construction. The NZXT Source 210 Window and Bitfenix Merc Beta Steel Black are cheap cases made by good case manufacturers.

#25 Posted by Garris (186 posts) -

@andorski: thanks for the recommendations after reading up on building and going over some of these sites the old neurons are kicking in and it's not feeling as Intimidating as it was. I'm going to keep refining my list and hopefully put. In a parts o rider at the beginning of September.

#26 Edited by Garris (186 posts) -

And it has begun, ordered the case from ncix.

I'm going to update this post with parts and prices as I get them for a record for myself and any others.

Case - bitfenix merc beta - 33.39

Monitor - Benq 27" - 199.99

Psu - corsair tax 850 - 89.99

Muaha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.