Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Controller use in PCs?

pcguy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pcguy2

Anyone use xbox controllers on PC?  I've always wondered why more xbox developers don't go for the PC market via port considering that controllers are always an option.  Are there really that few pc gamers left? :(

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sanryd

I do for racing games, but, other than that, no.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I bought a wired 360 controller to play Jedi Academy. Haven't tried to use it yet.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Best examples are obviously racing games.

Also, Just Cause 2 felt way better with the 360 controller on the PC.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

I do, depending on the game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Just racing because it's like the only kind of game that requires pressure sensitive controls. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Best examples are obviously racing games.  Also, Just Cause 2 felt way better with the 360 controller on the PC. "
    This, and any sort of a fable/dmc kind of game. Although I'll play singleplayer games with a controller if I feel more like chilling on the couch and relaxing.
    bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By bellmont42

I do for some games.. shooters? no... racing games, devil may cry, force unleashed? better on a controller

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Grim Fandango on the PC at the moment with a wired 360 controller.
    It makes the cumbersome tank controls infinitely less annoying imo

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By blackbird415

3rd person shooters always feel better with a controller to me than a keyboard and mouse. Racing games of course. Flight games etc etc. I bought a wired controller but have yet to use it considering i have a not quite built computer.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

I do for adventure games or games that would feel more natural with a controller.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @pcguy2: Controllers have always been an option with PC games, at least for the past 15 years or so. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro from ages ago kicking around in a box somewhere complete with Gameport to USB adapter, SIXAXIS style motion control back in 1998 ;).  Motorcross Madness used it (Pack in game) probably the only one....

On topic, the PC has always been dominated by the Mouse and Keyboard for the most part leaving controller support to the user. There are so many makes and models of controllers it would be impossible for them to have a standardized control scheme. Most Games for windows live games interface perfectly with a 360 controller, odd exceptions like Bioshock 2 exist (UI changes). I got my PS3 controller to play nice with a Bluetooth adapter and it just masquerades as a 360 controller (google Motion in Joy) and it works perfectly in games like GTAIV or Street Fighter IV. Just have to substitute A for X etc.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

I use an Xbox 360 wireless controller, works on every major title, along with quite a few you wouldn't expect it to work with (mainly indie games). I use it for racing games and some slower paced shooters or adventure games.  

Porting to PC isn't just a change in control scheme, they would need to rewrite and recompile most of the code and make sure it's compatible with the majority of configurations. It's almost as much work as making the game from scratch. 

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By tourgen

I got a wireless receiver so I can use my xbox360 controllers with my laptop.  It works pretty well and was cheap on dealextreme.  I'm playing Trine with it and it's working out great.

I'm not really sure why the PC doesn't get more ports of console games.  It must just be simply the man-hour investment could be better spent doing the next console release instead.  I think they could certainly turn a profit with a PC port but the return on the time invested is better if they just move on.  Maybe that's going to be the death-story of PCs and open computing architectures.  Closed systems are more profitable in the short term.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I use it for devil may cry 4, racing games and street fighter 4 which will be difficult without it. I'm using a logitec cordless rumblepad 2, not recommended because the button layout isn't exactly like the xbox360 one. If it thinks you are using a xbox360 controller, the config is going to be messed up if you can't reconfigure the buttons for the options.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pazy

I have a few controllers I use on PC, especially a wired 360 pad, PS3 and a PS3 Fightpad. Some games just feel wrong with a keyboard and mouse especially when your talking about emulators.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Jadeskye
    @pcguy2 said:
    " Anyone use xbox controllers on PC?  I've always wondered why more xbox developers don't go for the PC market via port considering that controllers are always an option.  Are there really that few pc gamers left? :( "
    i always have one plugged in for various uses. Some games simply play better with one due to the console-centric nature of gaming today. 

I prefer to use a mouse and keyboard when possible but many times it simply doesn't make sense.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warxsnake

Yes i love using my xbox controller for select PC games, even though im considered PC hardcore or wtvr the fuck kids call us these days.  

I use it for racing games like Dirt2, and for *some* TPS like Mafia 2, where I prefer analog movement (walking speed - running speed). Mass Effect 2 on the other hand was mouse and keyboard because of all the hotkeys I could bind. 

They just need to get off their asses and provide analog movement to keyboards (pressure sensitive keys) or analog nubs on the mouse, etc. I'm tired of pressing shift to run or sprint. Shift should be used for something else. My pinky is tired.  

I find it wierd game reviewers still get amazed everytime a game switches its GUI to console version on the PC once you connect the xbox controller. Most games do that these days

dudewhaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dudewhaa

Ya I use that wireless receiver to hook up my xbox 360 controllers to my pc and it works great. Right now I am using it to play Need for Speed: World, cool racing game that sucked with the keyboard. Another pc gamer I couldn't play without the 360 controller was dead space, I'm wondering if that'll be the case for dead space 2 as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I use a Horipad EX2 for almost everything except FPS's and some RPG's.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostiet

I use either my trusted Logitech Rumblepad 2 or a Dual Shock 3 with system tweaks. Mostly for fighting games, hack'n'slashes and sports games.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hashbrowns

In very rare cases I use the X360 on my PC.  For instance, Batman: Arkham Asylum just didn't feel right with a mouse and keyboard. 

Actually, I've been playing through Halo CE on the PC recently, and I was able to use BOTH a X360 controller and the mouse.  I held the controller in my left hand and used the analog stick for more precise movement than WASD can produce, while my right hand used the mouse for pinpoint aiming.  I don't know if that was sacrilege, but now I want every shooter to support that control scheme.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By djames216

Games I've played with a wireless 360 controller on PC include Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, GTA4, Resident Evil 5.  If a game has the "Games for Windows" logo, then you know for certain that you can play it with a 360 controller if so desired.  Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 don't have the GFW logo but they still offer support for the 360 controller.  So you may find that there is more controller support for PC games than you realise. 

Edit:  Ah yes, thank you for reminding me Hashbrowns, I also played Batman Arkham Asylum with the controller.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OldGuy

I played thru the GTA3 cycle again recently and used the mouse and keyboard for all on foot activities and picked the controller up out of my lap for all the in car stuff.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SSully

I do for third person shooters, they just never feel right with a keyboard and mouse, that might be because of my love for socom. A recent example is with Mafia 2, tried it with keyboard and mouse at first and it was fun, but once i tried the 360 controller with it i couldnt turn back .

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I use PS3 dualshock controller + motionjoy (which emulates the PS3 as the XBox 360 controller) for driving, flying and emulators.  The triggers on the PS3 controller are better for driving games, IMHO.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo7676
    @pcguy2:  To play game that are meant for consoles such as AC 2 and Prince of Persia I use controllers.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

As a games programming student I've used Xbox 360 controllers on the PC for debugging games but I haven't used controllers on PC games outside of that.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By CL60

I used to use my PS3 controller, but it stopped working, and I can't get it working again.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By FakeKisser

Like everyone else is saying, I use a controller for racing games.   I also use a controller for certain puzzle games like Chime.   

With 3rd-person games, it's somewhat complicated.  I played Assassin's Creed with a controller, but that's because it has melee combat.  I prefer using mouse/keyboard with pretty much any game with guns (Splinter Cell is a good example of 3rd-person shooter where I use mouse/keyboard).

Currently, I'm playing through the original Mafia.  I use the mouse and keyboard the whole time, unless I'm in a car.  Then, I just pick up the controller until I get out of the car where I switch back to keyboard and mouse.   One big advantage of playing on PC is that you can have multiple inputs hooked up at once to do this.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Branthog

Makes no sense to me. The primarily benefit of PC gaming is WASD+M.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockanomics

I use my 360 controller all the time, just finished up the newest PoP game with it. I pretty much use it whenever analog movement is important. I played RE5 with it but that was because of RE4 being on the GC.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I did for Indigo Prophecy. 
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tranquilchaos

I often use my dualshock 3 to play games on steam.

Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skunkboy72

I used to use a PlayStation knock-off when there was still Madden for the PC.  Now I just use a 360 controller for games like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Asylum, Street Fighter, Lego Star Wars, Dirt 2, etc.  Basically anything that plays better for me with a controller. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.