corsair so far not impressed poor company

#1 Posted by crimson26 (49 posts) -

So i built my pc just this year...

So far i have had issues with all the corsair products for my build.

First the biggest my psu broke 0 power wont start any more after some kinda power surge. I have anti power surge connection not sure if i had bad luck or what. I spent a crap load on my psu also it was around 200$ it was 850w gold rate and corsairs best rated psu and got alot of awards.

Second the case the usb ports at front stopped working fan controller broke.

Third the ram i had issues getting it working at first.

Last but not least i try to contact them to get psu replaced i was on hold for over an hour and half and gave up.

So my question is whats a case brand and psu brand i dont plan on buying corsair again.

#2 Posted by RVonE (4623 posts) -

@crimson26: I've used Corsair memory and PSUs for years in perhaps 9 or 10 different builds. Only had an issue once with faulty memory.

At any rate, I hope you'll have better luck with whatever you buy next.

#3 Posted by ZosoZep (8 posts) -

From my experience Corsair seems to have some pretty top notch quality control and customer service. Granted I've never had to get a hold of them and I just use one of their PSUs. Maybe you just got really unlucky?

#4 Posted by Korwin (2839 posts) -

I have trouble imagining that many corsair products going wrong in a single build, they're more or less the best choice in the industry for a number of things.

#5 Edited by Andorski (5248 posts) -

For PSUs, I only implicitly trust Seasonic. They are the best in the business in reliable PSUs. Also - and this does not excuse the issues you are having with Corsair's PSUs - but Corsair themselves do not make power supplies. They buy them from one or a few OEM manufacturers and brand them as their own. This is very common; rarely will a PSU that you buy be from the company who's name is brandished on it.

Cases are a roll of a dice. Many case manufactures have such a wide array of cases that will range from top tier to buttom barrel. Corsair has some fantastic cases. I love the Graphite Series 600T. Their Obsidian 350D is also great. Sometimes you just get a dud though.

With RAM, I go Corsair or G.SKILL. Like with cases, so many people buy Corsair RAM and most people never have an issue with them. You just got unlucky.

#6 Posted by andmm (213 posts) -

Got 8gb of Corsair Vengeance ram, never had a problem.

#7 Posted by Stonyman65 (2661 posts) -

@andorski said:

For PSUs, I only implicitly trust Seasonic. They are the best in the business in reliable PSUs. Also - and this does not excuse the issues you are having with Corsair's PSUs - but Corsair themselves do not make power supplies. They buy them from one or a few OEM manufacturers and brand them as their own. This is very common; rarely will a PSU that you buy be from the company who's name is brandished on it.

Cases are a roll of a dice. Many case manufactures have such a wide array of cases that will range from top tier to buttom barrel. Corsair has some fantastic cases. I love the Graphite Series 600T. Their Obsidian 350D is also great. Sometimes you just get a dud though.

With RAM, I go Corsair or G.SKILL. Like with cases, so many people buy Corsair RAM and most people never have an issue with them. You just got unlucky.

Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic. At least they used to be.

#8 Edited by alternate (2694 posts) -

You were either really unlucky or you just don'r know how to fit all the parts together :D Everyone gets a bum part occasionally but a bad case, memory and PSU is beating the odds.

#9 Edited by Andorski (5248 posts) -

From Tom's Hardware. There seems to be a lot of overlap between all the Corsair series of PSUs. One would need to look at the specific model to figure out who was the OEM.

#10 Posted by Stonyman65 (2661 posts) -

I've got a Corsair SSD and an HX850w PSU in my system right now. No problems. I also had their 650D case at one point, but returned it because it didn't work that well for my setup, however it is an excellent case aside from the thin case fans it ships with. Corsair is really one of the best PC parts companies out there. Great quality control.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but with that many problems you either have incredibly bad luck or you seriously fucked something up while building it. I can understand getting bad memory or a defect PSU every now and then, but to have 3 things fail on your system within a year that's just unheard of. Sounds like operator error.

#11 Posted by Stonyman65 (2661 posts) -

@andorski said:

@stonyman65 said:

From Tom's Hardware. There seems to be a lot of overlap between all the Corsair series of PSUs. One would need to look at the specific model to figure out who was the OEM.

Oh yeah that's right. I forgot about the other companies. According to that list the one I have is made my Channel Well.

#12 Edited by ZosoZep (8 posts) -

I guess if OP is still wondering on what to get that's not Corsair at least case wise I've never had a problem with Thermaltake or Cooler Master.

#13 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Thats unfortunate. I've built dozens of PCs for people and only rarely had the odd bit of corsair tech go bad. Always RAM, but even then most of it is perfectly fine. sounds like you got unlucky as hell OP!

#14 Edited by Arzen (81 posts) -

Last but not least i try to contact them to get psu replaced i was on hold for over an hour and half and gave up.

Why not try an RMA request through technical support on their website? It's really easy. Why wait on hold when you can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes?

#15 Edited by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

You should replace your busted Corsair with more Corsair. I am not joking.

#16 Posted by Strife777 (1516 posts) -

I've bought two Corsair PSUs and haven't had a single problem. From what I had heard, they were basically the best choice and I wasn't disappointed.

Everything from packaging to built quality is impressive in my opinion.

You shouldn't put the blame on them for that PSU breaking, power surges can't fuck your shit up pretty bad no matter the brand or quality. I had a laptop and a computer destroyed by a single power surge and swore to always plug those things on either a UPS or a damn good surge protector.

#17 Posted by kn00tcn (158 posts) -

i have a different corsair OEM psu information link from the one on tom's

#18 Posted by Nictel (2402 posts) -

@crimson26: I am going out on a limb here and say that you tried overclocking? Specifically overclocking by adjusting the volt levels?

#19 Posted by labam89 (311 posts) -
#20 Posted by TriBeard (127 posts) -

As far as PSU's go, I've always been a fan of PC Power and Cooling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.