Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Could I get a Netbook that can do the following for $300?

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rubsnick

HDMI Out- is a must!

Play Stepmania

Play games the following games
    Command and Conquer the first Decade
    Fallout Trilogy (tactics being the 3rd)
    MechCommander 2
    Starcraft Battle Chest
    Warcraft III: Battlechest
    World of Goo
    X-COM: Apocalypse
    X-COM: Enforcer
    X-COM: Interceptor
    X-COM: Terror From the Deep
    X-COM: UFO Defense
    Diablo Battle Chest

play everything up to N64 emulators with a ton of mame.

Have a HUGE HDD! (300Gigs up) It would be nice but not important. I think 160GB would be plenty but a little tight.

I'll be using it for basic school work and programming (C++ and Visual Basic) programming isn't all that important for this a netbook since I have two other Laptops that do have the power.

So I'm thinking something with the following specs will fill my needs.

Any Intel Atom thing (don't know much about Netbook CPU's)
    1 Gig of RAM
    160GB HDD
    Windows XP, (I rather have Windows 7 Home then starter)

That should be enough for my needs I'm thinking of going to costco and feeling the netbooks. Any netbook should feel these needs right? But I'm mostly worried about it having HDMI.. that is the most important thing of all. 

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AgentofChaos

Sounds like you want a cheap laptop, the netbooks ive seen can barely run SimGolf.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

Actually, I think a standard netbook will do you fine. C&C generals might be a little tight, but the other ones are better anyway. N64 emulators aren't going to happen...

I've never done any coding on a netbook, but for basic stuff I'd imagine you will be fine. The only thing is HDMI, I know that mine doesn't have it. I'm sure they exist, but I don't know if its in your price range.

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rubsnick
    @AgentofChaos:  I already have dual core laptops so that's kind of not an option. I want a Netbook for the size.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Look on Tiger Direct or newegg, almost any netbook would beable to play those games fine and have atleast a 160gb hard drive with 1-2gb ram.

LINK

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

Try to get a Pine Trail one, don't get a regular old Atom (I have that, it can't play games worth a shit)

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Bones8677

Netbooks are only designed for typing and web surfing. I wouldn't trust them to play any games.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

Not HDMI for sure - that's a pipe dream. IMO, save up for a couple months and spring for a *real* laptop.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By korwin

If your looking for any kind of higher performance from a netbook you need to look at the Nvidia ION line-up.

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rubsnick
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " Not HDMI for sure - that's a pipe dream. IMO, save up for a couple months and spring for a *real* laptop. "
    Why would I get a real laptop when I already have two that can do all this... it makes little sense... I don't need a new laptop I just need something really small. So yeah.... I don't need to spend the money and I guess I'll make due with my laptop.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Coombs

I would have to say your out of luck.
    Netbooks are not intended for gaming of any kind really

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rubsnick
    @Coombs said:
    " I would have to say your out of luck. Netbooks are not intended for gaming of any kind really "
    Yeah but I don't want to game with demanding games just games that are from 2000 and older.... I've heard netbooks are perfect for this...
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

I got that for 200 at the American appliance store

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @rubsnick said:
    .I'll be using it for basic school work and programming (C++ and Visual Basic) programming isn't all that important for this a netbook since I have two other Laptops that do have the power.  
     There are some pretty small laptops out there that still have full size keyboards, but I don't know if you'll be able to find a 300 dollar netbook with one.  I just graduated with a Comp Sci degree and one of my buddies used a netbook for some class projects while I was in school.  If I were you I would stay the hell away from doing any kind of programming on a netbook sized keyboard, but maybe I'm just picky.  
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubsnick said:
    " @Coombs said:
    " I would have to say your out of luck. Netbooks are not intended for gaming of any kind really "
    Yeah but I don't want to game with demanding games just games that are from 2000 and older.... I've heard netbooks are perfect for this... "
    You heard wrong. They can hardly run Photoshop efficiently. If you want to play games, look elsewhere. Emulators for 2D systems? It might be alright, but I can see it not running a lot of the other games you mentioned.

Just get a cheap laptop instead.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shirogane

War3, world of goo and some of the later games in the CnC thing might be pushing it a bit with most netbooks. 
    Also, HDD space ain't getting that high, considering a lot of netbooks don't even have a proper harddrive. 

And i don't think any of them have HDMi, cause they don't even have a proper graphics unit.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By marrec
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By artofwar420

I think most cheapo netbooks can run most of those games.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoeH

I havea netbook, it struggles to play peggle. Get a real laptop.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bhhawks78
    @AgentofChaos said:
    " Sounds like you want a cheap laptop, the netbooks ive seen can barely run SimGolf. "
    Huh my acer aspire 1 netbook that sells for 250-275 could easily run all those games don't be a troll.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mmmslash

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but my netbook does all of these things.

It's an Aspire 1410, 11.6 in
    1.3GHz 1MB L2
    2gb
    250gig drive 
    HDMI out

It's also on the higher-end of netbooks, especially since it has a dual-core, but it plays most of those games you listed swell. Your biggest gaming issue (Assuming you're only playing old school tittles, like 03 and earlier) is getting the games to run at the native resolution (1366 x 768, for me).

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By agentboolen
    @rubsnick:  I would recommend the budget laptop that I bought at Best Buy 2 months ago for $500 but I can't find it anywhere on the Best Buy website (or my local store), which blows me a way because it was said to be a new model when I picked it up.  If you can find it you would be able to do everything you mentioned, hell even run dreamcast emulators and not to mention Portal and Dirt 2.   But I have no clue where to find it anymore but here are the specs just to give you an idea of what you can get by with. Also AMD's with ATI's are a bit cheaper then Intel's and nvidia video cards. Not to mention I found not many Laptops at a budget price even offer video cards.

Its a Dell inspiron 1546 with a  AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz, with a  ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 video card and 4 gigs of DDR2 ram that only cost me $500 which i consider really low for what I manage to get running on this machine.  The only problem I found is it doesn't have a HDMI but I have been happy enough with the VGA and Stereo out options when hooking it up to a LCD.

Little more looking on Best Buy site and here is the only proof of this machine i can find on it
     http://m.bestbuy.com/m/b/product/review.jsp;jsessionid=8B7011AFFB267A7E4FC35616ADC88571.bbmolsp-app09-12?sr=00&en=10&id=&sn=1&dp=1&pid=1218161854342&pg=1&scr=&df=dt&ri=2213992&skuId=9727302&dx=
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coombs
    @Mmmslash said:
    " I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but my netbook does all of these things.  It's an Aspire 1410, 11.6 in 1.3GHz 1MB L2 2gb 250gig drive  HDMI out It's also on the higher-end of netbooks, especially since it has a dual-core, but it plays most of those games you listed swell. Your biggest gaming issue (Assuming you're only playing old school tittles, like 03 and earlier) is getting the games to run at the native resolution (1366 x 768, for me). "
    He's looking for under $300
    For that price No they will not be able to play those games.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Coombs:  I was replying to the general consensus that a netbook would never be able to provide him with what he needed.
    AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentofChaos
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " @AgentofChaos said:
    " Sounds like you want a cheap laptop, the netbooks ive seen can barely run SimGolf. "
    Huh my acer aspire 1 netbook that sells for 250-275 could easily run all those games don't be a troll. "
    Lol fuck off, I made that post 3 weeks ago. The Netbooks I've seen typically suck, IN MY EXPERIENCE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.