CPU overheating, what is the first step? (ARMA III)

#1 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

So this has happened once before when I was playing Far Cry 3, I learned (thanks to these forums) that one or two of my case fans stopped spinning. I'm currently using an AMD Phenom II x6 1055T. I know it's not exactly a new processor, but really I haven't read anything bad about it. Now that I'm playing ARMA III, I cant get more than maybe 20 minutes in (Most of the graphics are on high/very high, but things like draw distance are turned down a bit because I know those are processor intensive) before my computer just shuts down.

So my question is, what's the first thing I check for? Is my thermal paste bad? Can that even happen? Should I think about replacing my processor soon? Or am I long overdue for an upgrade (hope not).

Thanks again.

#2 Edited by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Arma barely uses 50% CPU, so im surprised its overheating your CPU. Are you using the (shitty) stock cooler? Also how long 'til you last replaced the thermal paste?

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

If you want a stop gap: Take the case off and put a fan on it.

You really need to figure out why the case fans stop.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Get those babies spinning again! No ventilation = the heat stays trapped in your tower.

Maybe try reseating the fan connections to your MOBO or see if you can track down some fan control software and just set them to max RPM when you fire up ARMA.

One more thing: How many FPS are you getting in ARMA? If you're getting 120+, maybe turn vsync on or set your max FPS to like 90 or something. You might be rendering a ton of frames and overtaxing your hardware.

#5 Edited by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@alexw00d: I've never replaced the thermal paste ...

@extomar: @ravenlight: I've actually figured out and fixed why the case fans were stopping. It had to do with a fan control software I stopped using and forgot to uninstall and it caused some issue. I'll try setting my max frames lower.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@poppduder:

Good to hear! You're probably fine as long as your fans are going and you're not in the 200 FPS range.

#7 Edited by Anund (876 posts) -

The first thing to check in cases like these is to make sure your heatsink is not clogged with dust. 95% of the time this has been the case when I've fixed this for friends and family.

#8 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@ravenlight: Thanks, but see the problem seems to persist after I've fixed the fan problem.

@anund:I've gotten some canned air and I'll double check the heat sink shortly. I'm just worried about running ARMA again to test it out. I dont want to cause any damage to the CPU

#9 Edited by zenmastah (871 posts) -

I remember having that same CPU and experiencing shut downs when i was running Witcher 2.

Cleaning the dust from all fans and inside the case in general fixed it to a degree, but it ran really hot still.

Got a aftermarket heatsink on my new rig and my temps never go past 50 celcius, highly recommend buying aftermarket heatsinks over the stock ones in the future.

#10 Posted by Devildoll (876 posts) -

You should probably make sure that the shutdown is temp related first, unclear whether you've done that or not based on what you have written.

#11 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@devildoll: After it shutdown, upon restarting the Motehrboard came up with a warning "CPU OVERHEAT"

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@poppduder: You may want to apply some new thermal paste (depending on how old yours is) and possibly grab an aftermarket cooler. Stock fans are usually pretty mediocre. I use the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and it has worked wonderfully, and it was maybe $30. I don't think you actually have to get a new processor, so scratch that off of your list.

#13 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I remember having that same CPU and experiencing shut downs when i was running Witcher 2.

Cleaning the dust from all fans and inside the case in general fixed it to a degree, but it ran really hot still.

Got a aftermarket heatsink on my new rig and my temps never go past 50 celcius, highly recommend buying aftermarket heatsinks over the stock ones in the future.

Valid enough, but then I've been using a stock Intel cooler for about a year now with no issues. Never gets anywhere close to too hot. With CPUs getting more and more efficient, aftermarket coolers are becoming more and more irrelevant.

That said, it seems the OP's CPU is a tad old and less efficient than the newer 22 nm Intel models.

@poppduder: You could possibly benefit from a cooler with some fresh thermal paste, but I'd say at least start monitoring your temperatures more closely and find out exactly how warm things are getting.

#14 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@jjweatherman: Thanks for the reply. I've got my buddy coming over a little later with some fresh thermal paste and I'll be monitoring my temps more closely after that. If I needed to get a new heat sink, do you think I would have to buy a new fan as well? Or, do they tend to fit universally?

#15 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

@jjweatherman: Thanks for the reply. I've got my buddy coming over a little later with some fresh thermal paste and I'll be monitoring my temps more closely after that. If I needed to get a new heat sink, do you think I would have to buy a new fan as well? Or, do they tend to fit universally?

I believe aftermarket coolers generally come with both the heat sink and fan together. If you wanted to just buy a heat sink, I'm sure you could check some spec page and make sure the fan you have would fit.

#16 Edited by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@subjugation: @jjweatherman: @alexw00d:So I reapplied some thermal paste... When I took the heat sink off of the CPU the old paste was nearly non-existant. Just a thin dried film. I wish I could remember what paste I used when I built the thing because I'm never buying it again. I was able to run ARMA for a good hour without any problems, and increased performance to boot. Looks like that really was the problem. Just wanted to thank you guys, again.

#17 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

@poppduder: Awesome. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Hopefully it doesn't give you any more trouble.

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@poppduder: Right on duder. You should be good to go as long as you applied the thermal paste well. A nice, thin layer with all air pockets smoothed out is what you want.

#19 Posted by Devildoll (876 posts) -

@poppduder: run hwmonitor from now on, so you catch these things creeping up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.