CPU reaching 90 degrees during heavy use.. Suggestions?

#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (809 posts) -

Hey duders..

So I have an i5 2400 that sometimes hits 90 degrees while playing Borderlands 2 and having youtube run in the background..

I had some problems with my computer a few months ago that led to me breaking the stock CPU fan (i hate those four post fans that you twist each post to make it come loose!) but I had a friend replace the broken stock fan with a spare stock CPU fan he had.. It's been running hotter even since, but usually stays between 35-50 during normal use (non game use, youtube and browsing, etc).. Which I'm totally fine with.. But it gets pretty hot when I run games and youtube..

Would there be an aftermarket CPU fan you guys would recommend (that is really easy to install)?

Thanks duders!

Also, what programs do you guys use to track CPU temp? I used to use AI Suite 2 from my motherboard but it isn't installing properly for some reason now, so I've been using CoreTemp for the past week or so.

#2 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

the ak 47 of cpu coolers is the 212, get one of those.

I use realtemp for the cpu and Hwmonitor for everything else.

#3 Edited by shinboy630 (1134 posts) -

Any of the Hyper 212 coolers are fantastic air coolers, and are actually pretty cheap. Assuming you can fit one in your case, I personally would recommend the 212 Evo. It's what I use and my core temps hover around 45-50C (according to speedfan) while playing Guild Wars 2, which is a pretty CPU intensive game.

Edit: I see @Devildoll beat me to my 212 Evo recommendation. Oh well, 2 people supporting it is better than one I suppose.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Any of the Hyper 212 coolers are fantastic air coolers, and are actually pretty cheap. Assuming you can fit one in your case, I personally would recommend the 212 Evo. It's what I use and my core temps hover around 45C while playing Guild Wars 2, which is a pretty CPU intensive game.

I also have the evo and it's wonderful, and it cost me £25 which is really cheap.

#5 Posted by MethodMan008 (809 posts) -

Sweet, that is less expensive than I was anticipating. It will definitely fit my CPU, right? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2400-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B004EBUXIA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362246915&sr=1-1&keywords=i5+2400

The thing I'm worried about is if it will actually fit in my case or not.. I'm at work right now and won't be home on lunch for a few more hours.. How much clearance should I have around my CPU to be safe?

Thanks duders, you guys have helped me so much with all my PC questions! :)

#6 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@methodman008: yes, under the details it say's it supports socket 1155.

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

@methodman008: What case do you have? The 212 Evo lists its dimensions so you should be able to get an idea of how large it is, and it is fairly large. It fits in my CM HAF 932, but on my mobo it just about collides with ram slots. Those are things you may want to consider.

#8 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I recommend the Noctua NH-U12P. I use it and my CPU never goes above 45C even on heavy load. Not entirely sure what socket your CPU uses though.

#9 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Razer Game booster is a great utility for pretty much everything. It tracks your CPU temp and does much much more. I've been pretty happy with it.

#10 Edited by alternate (2693 posts) -

more likely the thermal grease was incorrectly applied when you swapped the cooler. Even a crappy cooler should be doing a better job than that.

#11 Edited by Alexander (1721 posts) -

@alternate said:

more likely the thermal grease was incorrectly applied when you swapped the cooler. Even a crappy cooler should be doing a better job than that.

@MethodMan008Yeah, definitely look into replacing the thermal compound first. You'll need some rubbing alcohol / surgical spirit to remove the old stuff properly.

#12 Posted by MethodMan008 (809 posts) -

@alternate said:

@MethodMan008Yeah, definitely look into replacing the thermal compound first. You'll need some rubbing alcohol / surgical spirit to remove the old stuff properly.

Bah.. I know he used the Artic Silver removal compound and the Artic Silver thermal paste.. and he works at a computer repair shop.

But I live in the country, so whooooooooo knows.

I'm just afraid of breaking a post on the fan that is currently in there if I remove it myself.

#13 Edited by Codeacious (960 posts) -

If you're sure that it's the CPU fan, then yeah, replace it, but if you didn't check the CPU paste after installing the new fan, you should do that. If it doesn't look right, get some IC Diamond or GELID Extreme and repaste it, even if you're installing a new CPU fan, to make sure your temps aren't spiking. The fans people have suggested are perfectly fine.

It's not too hard to remove a fan, just be gentle and it'll be fine. There's also plenty of tutorials on how to remove and install fans if you look around.

Personally, I use Intel XTU and HWiNFO to monitor everything CPU related (and more) in my computer.

#14 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

@alexander said:

@alternate said:

Bah.. I know he used the Artic Silver removal compound and the Artic Silver thermal paste.. and he works at a computer repair shop.

But I live in the country, so whooooooooo knows.

I'm just afraid of breaking a post on the fan that is currently in there if I remove it myself.

It wouldn't hurt to get a replacement CPU cooler anyway as they often perform better and are quieter especially if the spare you are using has been used before. I can recommend Cooler Master (but check the specific model for reviews) some of their coolers give great performance and their prices are low, unlike Noctua. They also come with some thermal compound. Just about any cooler you buy will require you to fit a backplate to the motherboard, which of course means removing it from the case, which in turn means unplugging and unscrewing but you'd have to do that anyway to get rid of the old one. A tonne of videos on YouTube can guide you through just about anything. Some coolers can be tall, so make sure your case is wide enough. To remove the stock cooler without breaking the feet, just use a flat-head to unlock the 4 feet and then a pair of pliers to hold the 4 clips shut at the rear, it should come out easily. As for removing the old stuff, you don't need anything fancy, just rubbing alcohol and you'll find that in a bunch of places, even in the country.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.