Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Cruddy computer parts.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Edited By AndrewB

The Logitech MX Laser 1000. Released in 2004, the MX Laser was the first ever consumer laser tracking mouse to be released by Logitech.  

No Caption Provided

This is a Logitech MX Laser 1000 6 years later. 
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Logos and symbols worn off, product stickers peeled off, and clearly in need of some hardcore cleaning. To tell you the truth, I never really noticed how grimy it was until I started scratching away at the side (which you can see in a couple of those pictures). It was covered so thoroughly that it looked like the normal sheen of the plastic. It's to a level where I'm almost ready to give it up as a lost cause and buy a new mouse. Unfortunately, this mouse still works perfectly fine, and I'm not in a position to drop another $70 or so on a new top-of-the-line mouse. Thus, I'll simply be retiring it until I can put it through a heavy cleaning cycle.

So my question is this: how often do you clean your PC peripherals? Do you have any horror stories or pictures?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewB

The Logitech MX Laser 1000. Released in 2004, the MX Laser was the first ever consumer laser tracking mouse to be released by Logitech.  

No Caption Provided

This is a Logitech MX Laser 1000 6 years later. 
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Logos and symbols worn off, product stickers peeled off, and clearly in need of some hardcore cleaning. To tell you the truth, I never really noticed how grimy it was until I started scratching away at the side (which you can see in a couple of those pictures). It was covered so thoroughly that it looked like the normal sheen of the plastic. It's to a level where I'm almost ready to give it up as a lost cause and buy a new mouse. Unfortunately, this mouse still works perfectly fine, and I'm not in a position to drop another $70 or so on a new top-of-the-line mouse. Thus, I'll simply be retiring it until I can put it through a heavy cleaning cycle.

So my question is this: how often do you clean your PC peripherals? Do you have any horror stories or pictures?
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mmmslash

This is hardly relevant, but something I discovered.

The RAM in your old, junk PC's is actually more valuable than their modern day equivalents. Imagine my chagrin when I went to look up a stick of 512mb DDR, and found out they wanted $22!

(Please note that I work in a PC Repair shop, and was not trying to "pimp my ride" or something with a 512mb stick of DDR :P)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AndrewB
    @Mmmslash said:

" This is hardly relevant, but something I discovered.  The RAM in your old, junk PC's is actually more valuable than their modern day equivalents. Imagine my chagrin when I went to look up a stick of 512mb DDR, and found out they wanted $22!  (Please note that I work in a PC Repair shop, and was not trying to "pimp my ride" or something with a 512mb stick of DDR :P) "

In that case, I'll be set.
    No Caption Provided
    Top = 128MB SD 100mhz. Apparently going for about $15. That makes me want to start a thread about old computer parts.

People will spend unreasonable amounts of money on dinosaur parts : / They'd be better off buying a whole new computer, at that point.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I clean my mice and keyboard all the time with alcohol, i'm one of those ppl who are germ phobic. I don't care about dust though.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By captain_clayman

you've had it for 6 years.  wtf do you expect? 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewB

And now this blog post/thread is officially off-topic.

Geforce FX 5200
     Geforce FX 5200

Nvidia Vanta LT, with a whole 4MB of video ram.
    Nvidia Vanta LT, with a whole 4MB of video ram.

Ye old modem.
    Ye old modem.

Athlon 900MHz processor.
    Athlon 900MHz processor.

And a 1.6GB drive that uses more power than it's worth.
     And a 1.6GB drive that uses more power than it's worth.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

if someone here owns a Voodoo 3, or a 6800GTX.... I WILL PAY YOU TO SELL IT TO ME.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dark_Jon

I have a retro 8800 GTS in the closet. Man, those things are ancient!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

I still have an old 25MHZ 486 computer in my back room.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Marz said:
    " I still have an old 25MHZ 486 computer in my back room. "
    You actually own a 25hz SX model? Dude, put it on fucking Ebay!
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    @TRega123 said:
    "

This will be a blast from the past.

First, we have an astounding 4.3GB Samsung hard drive. You will never need more than 4.3 GB, even with all of your games installed, such as starcraft, duke nukem 3d, and diablo, you will never, ever EVAR run out of space.
     Second up is the legendary AMD K6 processor. It is Windows 95 compatible, woot woot.
     I also have some Samsung ECC memory (Error checking!!!) So my windows 95 doesn't crash.
    Finally, we have the incredible 36,600 baud modem. It also has a pass through so you can connect a telephone to it and rage quit during starcraft.
    "
    Nice. I remember paying $399 for a 2X CD burner when they first came out.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By korwin

Pretty sure i have a Riva TNT floating aroun here somewhere i could show off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.