Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

CryEngine 3

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Black_Raven

CryTek has released a video of their new engine, Cry Engine 3. Its also a platform for Xbox 360 and PS3 and if you watch the video you can easily tell due to it looking less impressive then crysis/Crysis Warhead in many aspects.

Watch more videos of Crysis

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By myke_tuna

idk about that less impressive shit, but in some parts I think it looks just as good. It doesn't really matter though since I'm pretty sure whatever updates are in this engine will make the jump to PC soon after.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

That looks damn good.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RedSox8933

Damn I was just about to post this.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vaiz

Ouch, talk about some chugging framerates at a few points there. I guess CE3 is probably pretty early along, so it's gonna be a bit unstable like that. I imagine the focus of cryengine 3, based on this video, isn't a graphical jump, but instead optimization for consoles.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Warhead had a few less impressive elements than Crysis too. They're sorting performance I imagine and that's a good thing, whether it's done just because it's going to be a multi platform engine or not. Optimising it further hopefully enables them to have a less ridiculous draw distance for detail elements. I'd almost prefer to have none of those elements than to have them pop up 5 metres ahead of me completely breaking immersion in the process. And yes that's on max settings on PC, in both Crysis and Warhead. My PC isn't the greatest but since I only run games @ 1680x1050 since that's my monitor's native res, they run with no hicups @ max settings.

Edit: Having watched the video, it looks more polished than the Crysis games to me. The urban areas are incredible and having those in Crysis would probably make it drop the fps flat. Great work. Lighting on surfaces seems better too. I'm not sure what you found so worse than Crysis but I haven't fired it up in a while.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Alexander

Yeeeah. Now check out this vid made on Cryengine2 by some dude using Fraps and his own rig

This makes the Cryengine3 tech demo look like shit and it's a big shame that no one is fully supporting the PC anymore.

[edit] I said "shit" I just downloaded the cry3 vid in hd and it looks a lot better, but the tech demos fro cry2 still looked better.

Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Grim_Fandango

Port Crysis over to the consoles, then we will see how powerful it showcases itself to be.

Seeing is believing.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9  Edited By mrhankey

i think it looks just as good, if not better. Something tells me a lot of games are going to be moving away from eye popping graphics to either innovative gameplay or innovative uses of physics and how that impacts the game.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bioderm

You can see some framerate issue even with this watered down cryengine 3 especialy when they shoot the house and make it explode. I don't console have the power for physix and great graphics. I'm sure the next gen console will be able to run crysis but right now I don't really see it happening unless they turn practicly everything down.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think this is running on PC mr elitist. And that kind of urban areas would lag any PC if they hadn't optimised the engine further like they seem to have done for this version, which is the main advancement in this engine and one that should please console and pc users alike considering the flaws of the first engine versions. Crysis never had crowded areas like the urban areas seen in this video for a reason. It looks like they manage to have architecture of the Unreal Engine 3 level in this one, and that's a good thing for an engine that wants to be diverse and not only do terrain based environments.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bioderm

At the begening of the video it clearly says Xbox360 and Playstation 3 nothing about PC. Please don't call me PC elitist :P.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sure, but it can't possibly run on both at the same time, or perform and look 100% identically on both.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mikemcn

Damn,  i need a new PC

That water effects were impressive. I also love how Crytek makes an engine so powerful it slows down the system they made it on. They have a knack for makeing things that work best 5 years into the future.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Sure, but it can't possibly run on both at the same time, or perform and look 100% identically on both."
    When someone says something as stupid as "I don't console have the power for physix and great graphics."  I think the thread has nowhere to go but downward.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tekmojo

Doesn't look nearly as good as the older engine. Of course that's why it was designed for consoles. I would be very careful about the framerate dips in the bigger environments, and this was just a tech demo. Add explosions, more physics, AI, and you have a ton of more problems to deal with.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, and also add it's also designed for PC and that it's not finalised, and you have less problems and elitism to deal with.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

Sounds like they want to put Crysis on 360 and PS3 to me!!!

Also, there was a decidedly steampunk feel to a lot of the stuff in that video.  Wouldn't mind seeing Deus Ex 3 using that engine...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Steampunk is up to the art, can fit in any engine (and I'm not really seeing it here tbh). Deus Ex wasn't steam punk either... Cyber punk maybe. I'd want Deus Ex in UE3 myself, it performs better and looks bettter and far more detailed in artificial environments (not terrain water etc for example). In the aspects it lacks in, it's probably just because they didn't have to focus on those aspects for the games that use it so far. If someone wanted to make scenes that are more open looking, of course he'd probably want to improve areas like foliage rendering, god rays, water etc. They wanted those in Crysis so got them better in it, when in UT3 they're minor elements. Alas, Deus Ex 3 will probably suck anyway, at least if we judge it by its prequel and how they still don't consider it a dud. Anachronox studio should have never closed and instead taken up Deus Ex under its belt, they'd have done a much better job at it imo. Far more creative bunch, wonder what companies each of them are in atm.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bioderm
    Diamond said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    When someone says something as stupid as "I don't console have the power for physix and great graphics."  I think the thread has nowhere to go but downward."
    Oh wow I made a small typo go find something more constructive to post about
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Raven
    Al3xand3r said:
    "I think this is running on PC mr elitist. And that kind of urban areas would lag any PC if they hadn't optimised the engine further like they seem to have done for this version, which is the main advancement in this engine and one that should please console and pc users alike considering the flaws of the first engine versions. Crysis never had crowded areas like the urban areas seen in this video for a reason. It looks like they manage to have architecture of the Unreal Engine 3 level in this one, and that's a good thing for an engine that wants to be diverse and not only do terrain based environments."
    I don't know why you think cryengine 2 was badly optimized, I have an 8800GT and it runs great on high settings, better then a lot of other games that don't even look half as good. The main advancement in Cryengine 3 is that its developed with consoles in mind, if that was running on a PC then its a bad way to show off your new engine, looking worse and running at a low framerate...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

You never had scenes as complex as the urban area in that video (and as someone said, watch it in HD). It was all terrain, trees, terrain trees, empty flat base with copy pasted buildings, etc. Mostly looked good thanks to lighting, great textures and pixel shaders (ice snow etc) than actually having very busy scenes. Also, the pop in I mentioned. Eye sore 100% of the time except when the ground was busy looking and you didn't notice it, like in the darker foresty areas. The much hyped foliage didn't even look that realistic being blown to smitherens with your weapons.

Optimising it to fix those things, give them the ability to have busier scenes, less nasty pop in, and all that, than trying to push visuals further in other ways, is the best course of action, whether they do it just because they'll also put it on consoles or not.

Also, boring and extremely linear games, so much for the engine's hyped ability to have huge streaming maps, hope they make the next one good >_>

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
    Black_Raven said:
    I don't know why you think cryengine 2 was badly optimized, I have an 8800GT and it runs great on high settings, better then a lot of other games that don't even look half as good.
    As a general rule, PC games were never very optimized.  That's one thing that happens to developers when they've only made PC games and they start to develop for consoles.  They learn a lot about efficiency.  I don't think the 8800GT gets anything near great performance in Crysis, but it's not very inefficient like the GTA4 port to PC.  Why anyone liked the graphics in Crysis is because Crytek exceeded the boundaries of game graphics.  Lots of people bring up Cryengine 2, but it was really how the engine was leveraged towards bringing higher end graphics.  It's one of those things where people won't see how well or badly the engine really performs until future better looking games come along.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Gunner

Looks pretty much the same as cryengine 2, my guess is they are trying to make an engine that will run on consoles while looking as good as crysis. But the thing is, crysis is almost 2 years old now, and killzone 2 already looks way better.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EntwineX

Looks about the same as CE2, but obviously a bit worse since it's showed off on consoles. The view distance is lacking and foliage is a bit off at places, otherwise not bad for consoles. But I don't really see the point in naming it CE3 other than to gather hype.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By agent_lost

OK, if it doesn't kill your PC as the last one did and still look good, then I'm all for it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By get2sammyb

I don't think it looks anywhere near as impressive as people are making it out to be. In honesty I think Killzone 2 looks far superior.

EricWinholt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EricWinholt

Looks pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but I'd be totally thrilled to sit down and play that on my TV instead of on my computer. [Implying I like the idea of the engine being built for consoles. . .]

Also, I think Alexander said "urban areas" enough times for me to make a drinking game out of it. It could be because I was busy chuckling about that, but I had a hell of a time trying to find the point he was attempting to make in those blocks of text. Something about elitism, optimization, and PC's.

<3

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not much fun in just having 4 shots. I only repeated because people clearly ignored it in the video as there were no areas like that whatsoever in Crysis, and if there were the frame rate would have dropped flat on any PC as the engine couldn't support it like this revision can. Seeing those scenes here, you might as well be looking @ a tweaked Unreal Engine 3 whcih was built for that kind of artificial environments, unlike Cry Engine which was previously mostly for natural environments. Now it can do everything.

EricWinholt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EricWinholt
    EntwineX said:
    "[. . .] But I don't really see the point in naming it CE3 other than to gather hype."
    Missed this comment earlier, I apologize for being late, but you hit the nail right on the head. To gather hype !

As good a reason as any, I think. I wouldn't have even clicked the link if they had a new name for it, heh.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By floodiastus

Agree that crysis biggest problems have always been buildings, the game is fine in open environments.

It's important that they push for an optimized engine, I don't really understand what the fuzz is about :)
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422

I want to see the engine running on a PC...if all their "new" engine is, ends up being a less than impressive version of Cryengine 2(the way it looks when shown on the 360/PS3) and looks exactly the same on the PC with barely any improvements I'm gonna be kinda pissed. They have no reason to even call it a new engine at that point.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's really a shame crysis is the last of the great pc games, casual crysis warhead can't match it's graphics on very high and now they downgraded their engine to console levels.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

It would be very sad if true, yes, because it's really not great at all. Good riddance CryTek, I'll stick with my Blizzard, Valve, Stardock, and the multitude of creative indie devs. And if you make a good multi platform game, maybe I'll buy it too, but that's highly unlikely >_>

PS: It goes both ways, ya know, formerly console-only devs have started doing decent ports, ie CAPCOM.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By mracoon

I'm sure it'll look better on PCs but they were just showing off what they could do on consoles, which obviously wouldn't be as good. Also it's probably still in early development so I'm sure they can make it look a lot better by the end.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Black_Raven
    HitmanAgent47 said:
    "It's really a shame crysis is the last of the great pc games, casual crysis warhead can't match it's graphics on very high and now they downgraded their engine to console levels."
    The only great thing about Crysis were the graphics, other than that it was an average shooter, there are plenty of better games on PC and a lot more to come. Also that was a console demonstration, it has nothing to do with how CE3 will look on PC....
    Avatar image for deactivated-64eba2fb499a6
    deactivated-64eba2fb499a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al3xand3r said:
    "You never had scenes as complex as the urban area in that video (and as someone said, watch it in HD). It was all terrain, trees, terrain trees, empty flat base with copy pasted buildings, etc. Mostly looked good thanks to lighting, great textures and pixel shaders (ice snow etc) than actually having very busy scenes. Also, the pop in I mentioned. Eye sore 100% of the time except when the ground was busy looking and you didn't notice it, like in the darker foresty areas. The much hyped foliage didn't even look that realistic being blown to smitherens with your weapons.Optimising it to fix those things, give them the ability to have busier scenes, less nasty pop in, and all that, than trying to push visuals further in other ways, is the best course of action, whether they do it just because they'll also put it on consoles or not.Also, boring and extremely linear games, so much for the engine's hyped ability to have huge streaming maps, hope they make the next one good >_>"
    jesus,  ask developers what hits the framerate of a engine more and they will tell you its NOT urban areas  rendering FLAT  Un dynamic walls is piss easy for any engine to render, forest on the otherhand have wavy uneven ground  and tons of trees to render  the more shape somthing has the more polys.

before talking again please read up on deveopment.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, except the areas seen in the video are totally not just flat, unlike the bases I crticise in the original game as being empty and flat. Please read up on posts before commenting. Maybe your development 101 comes from when people did make buildings just flat (Half-Life?), whereas ever since 2004 or so (UT2004 was a good start), some developers have had the ability to go for extremely detailed architecture and artificial environments rivaling any great outdoor. Some still do it flat, like CryTek did in the first games, and appear to be fixing it here. UT3's a good example of modern artificial detail, it sure doesn't run much better than Crysis for a place full of "flat" does it? And it's not even trying to render real urban areas for the most part, only enclosed arena spaces which may include some elements of that.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Black_Raven
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Yes, except the areas seen in the video are totally not just flat, unlike the bases I crticise in the original game as being empty and flat. Please read up on posts before commenting. Maybe your development 101 comes from when people did make buildings just flat (Half-Life?), whereas ever since 2004 or so (UT2004 was a good start), some developers have had the ability to go for extremely detailed architecture and artificial environments rivaling any great outdoor. Some still do it flat, like CryTek did in the first games, and appear to be fixing it here. UT3's a good example of modern artificial detail, it sure doesn't run much better than Crysis for a place full of "flat" does it? And it's not even trying to render real urban areas for the most part, only enclosed arena spaces which may include some elements of that."
    They may not be totally flat but its still simple geometry and much less complex then pretty much every level in crysis with its realistic terrain and hundreds of highly detailed trees. You don't honestly think that anything running on a console could compare TECHNICALLY to Crysis on PC
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Al3xand3r

Levels in Crysis were pretty bland, and the buildings in it were even blander, so if they could afford more detailed buildings, why didn't they make them so? And uh, hundreds of trees? Even the busiest scenes didn't have that many. And what's a tree? A few cylinders and sprites for the leaves, and with lod trees further away may as well be flat and you'd never notice it. Heck, many of the small breakable trees (not palm trees or the other stuff) were very flat even up close. They tried to make stuff busier with detail elements like fallen branches and what not but wherever the ground was a bit bright (so not in foresty areas) you could see those pop up like 10ft ahead of you totally breaking immersion.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By VACkillers

did you guys see how poor it ran on the PS3 and xbox 360 in the videos of this? maybe it was a lot different in person at the show but i thought it ran very slow and jerky in a lot of the scenes that was shown for the consoles, especially with the jungle area's.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    Black_Raven said:
    "HitmanAgent47 said:
    "It's really a shame crysis is the last of the great pc games, casual crysis warhead can't match it's graphics on very high and now they downgraded their engine to console levels."
    The only great thing about Crysis were the graphics, other than that it was an average shooter, there are plenty of better games on PC and a lot more to come. Also that was a console demonstration, it has nothing to do with how CE3 will look on PC...."
    I don't belive that, I meant the game is still over 90% on gamerankings (I belive in the gameranking and metacritic system alot because it's like a compass towards what the score should be from all reviewers) so it has gameplay and graphics. Warhead was different, the levels were smaller and it's more of an action game because the game is more linear, so the score was lower. The console version will be downgraded even more terrain wise and probally gameplay, which is going to be more linear. Crytek forgot what made them so great in the first place or how to create crysis level graphics.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, can't have sandbox games in consoles, they're gonna dumb it down lols, it's not like they dumbed down warhead which is a pc exclusive also. And Crysis wasn't smart to begin with. And, Game critics aren't always right, scores mean little more than hype, otherwise you should worship consoles for all their top raters.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Rapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Rapture

they probably dumbed it down for the consoles

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Snail

DID YOU SEE TE PALM TREE LEAVES MOVE?!

It is awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.