Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

DDR4 RAM getting released next month.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TyCobb

Sweet. That basically just set my next computer build to be a year or so from now once it has its initial price drop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noo! I just built a new PC. It'll be like how I was with DDR2 all over again.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mrcraggle

Is this actually coming next week? I thought ddr4 was awhile off due to motherboard stuff. If this is the case though that's awesome as I'm looking to build a new comp early next year and that would mean I skipped an entire generation of ram (built my last comp just before ddr3 was introduced).

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Chipset's won't support it until next year, and that will most likely only be Haswell-E at that point. Don't expect to see it in the mainstream desktop platforms until Skylake (Skylake being Broadwell's successor).

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Devildoll

@blu3v3nom07 said:

It does suck though. There's no way XONE could have get released like late-December, or something. Maybe console parity with PS4 would have been different. Although, XONE would have had to get a whole new motherboard, and all that stuff. Anyway, interesting stuff I suppose. Thoughts?

Its not like this DDR4 announcement just popped up today and blindsided both sony and microsoft.

They could have implemented DDR4 into their systems years ago, knowing that it would be ready for 2014-ish.
    The reason they didn't, is cost.

The thing is, DDR4 is just getting "released" now in December, its not "mainstream-put-it-in-a-console" cheap.
    it could take until 2015 or longer until DDR4 goes down in price enough for most people to consider putting it in their pc's even.

Personally, i dunno, what do i need more bandwidth for? nothing i do benefits from it anyway.
    It'll be cool when it gets cheaper than DDR3 though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lookin forward to getting a new PC. I think I'll put it together this time if it's really as easy as Brad says it is (practically just slotting components in like lego).

I was nervous and lazy 6 or so years ago about putting one together and just bought an HP desktop, but it hasn't been particularly fun to upgrade.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By bacongames

Does anyone know the turn around time between introduction and consumer motherboard adoption was for DDR3? I can't imagine it will be any later than caledar 2014 before we start seeing motherboards with this socket support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames: Maybe half a year? Possibly less? I remember that happening with DDR2, but when I made my last system, it was right around the time that the i3/5/7s were pushing the Core Duos out of the market. I don't see Intel releasing a new chip so close to Haswell, or at least one that'll require a new socket. But I wouldn't give broad DDR4 adoption more than a year.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ubersmake: @bacongames: DDR4 support will be included with Skylake's chipset in 2015. You may see early support on Haswell Extreme in late 2014.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one lame thing I've noticed about building my PC: there's always a better part then the one I have right on the horizon. I bought RAM literally today.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@ubersmake said:

One of many reasons I've been waiting to build a new machine.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#13  Edited By sammo21

People need to understand that once you build a PC after 6 months its technically outdated thanks to how fast consumer PC equipment comes out. Being worth it in price to get them as soon as they come out? Probably not...

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Hamst3r

64 GB of RAM. Give it to meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

probably have to upgrade to a motherboard that supports it, so not concerned with upgrading immediately..

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They are going to fuck you on price for the first year anyway.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are going to fuck you on price for the first year anyway.

To be fair that stuff is going to be expensive as fuck to produce.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

well this comes as a surprise I wasn't expecting to see DDR4 till about a year from now really, I thought they might just have skipped DDR4 and switched straight to GDDR5 instead actually.... Well if this is correct theres absolutely no way people should be upgrading their machines at all until the new motherboards come out.... Normally you'd expect the new types of RAM when Intel produce new types of CPUs, usually how it goes but their i7 8-core (16 threads) aren't going to be released until the middle of next year.... very interesting

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought this thread was going to about some sort of special Random Access Memories edition of Dance Dance Revolution.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume I'd need a new processor and motherboard to take advantage of it, so I'm not really too concerned at all. Maybe in a year or two if I decide to build an entire new PC instead of just upgrading my GPU (though I probably won't need to, tbh).

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll only need a new motherboard, unless you only have an sub-par CPU then it would be worth upgrading that too

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This all sounds pretty great. My computer isn't really limited by my RAM atm though so I'm not super concerned about upgrading any time soon. If anything my memory card and power supply are in need of an upgrade well before this.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, now I have to put off building my PC even longer now! I hope the leap from DDR3 to DDR4 is significant. I don't think the DDR2 - DDR3 jump was all that great.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a very significant jump, DDR4 is double the speed, tripple the density (more GB per stick) and 20% less power usage (dream for overclockers)

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GG no re Next Gen Consoles

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but the PS4 is using GDDR5 memory, even tho its shared memory, you could look at this is a direct competitor to that system if you wanted to, but in all honesty, if you had a SSD in your machine anyway, you're already accessing faster then the PS4 or XBOX 1 anyway, regardless if you load up a SSD inside the new consoles, the OS's inside the consoles are no where near optimized to make use of a SSD speed, looking at gamespots PS4 launch proved that, it was barely faster then their regular 5200 RPM drive, may install faster, but that be about it...

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Xeiphyer

Having this included in the new consoles would have been prohibitively expensive though.

Still, them specs looks nice, looking forward to getting me some of this in some years.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's how it goes with building a gaming PC. I wouldn't worry about it, as DDR3 is fast enough. It's the video card that's the most important anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to build a new PC next year.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have 12g ddr3 ram, wont need ddr4 for at least 2 years and even then, will it be worth it to spend money on it even when it hits a price drop?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By korwin

@vackillers said:

You'll only need a new motherboard, unless you only have an sub-par CPU then it would be worth upgrading that too

False. AMD were the first to fully integrate the memory controller into the CPU with the Athlon 64, Intel followed suit with the first generation i7 CPU's on socket 1366. Any CPU moving forward from those parts will only support the memory that the on die controller was designed to work with.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSQUAD got 5 ddr's. PC master race loses this round

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the 5's.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I won't need this stuff until about midway into 2015 anyways, so I'm fine on the wait for the price drop. However, NEW HARDWARE SPECS YO! This shit gets me hard.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Troispoint

@naru_joe93 said:

5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one lame thing I've noticed about building my PC: there's always a better part then the one I have right on the horizon. I bought RAM literally today.

I built a new mid tier gaming PC literally today.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@vackillers said:

False. AMD were the first to fully integrate the memory controller into the CPU with the Athlon 64, Intel followed suit with the first generation i7 CPU's on socket 1366. Any CPU moving forward from those parts will only support the memory that the on die controller was designed to work with.

That only applies if the CPU sockets are different, like AM3+ or Intel socket 1155. If there isn't any new CPUs out by the time DDR4 and the new motherboards are made, they'll still be using the same CPU sockets, so ppl will be able to re-use their current CPUs, no one knows for sure yet too early to tell what the new motherboards are going to be like, thus why its strange DDR4 being released now, as apposed to next year when the new CPUs are released.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

And it has all the Gs too. One of them, but that's all of them.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@vackillers said:

That only applies if the CPU sockets are different, like AM3+ or Intel socket 1155. If there isn't any new CPUs out by the time DDR4 and the new motherboards are made, they'll still be using the same CPU sockets, so ppl will be able to re-use their current CPUs, no one knows for sure yet too early to tell what the new motherboards are going to be like, thus why its strange DDR4 being released now, as apposed to next year when the new CPUs are released.

Again, they will unable to use their current CPU's, it is a technical impossibility. The only exception to this was the Phenom II which was enabled by including both a DDR2 memory controller and a DDR3 controller on the die.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1782/amd_phenom_ii_ddr2_vs_ddr3_performance/index.html

You cannot change the supported memory for a platform without a compatible controller, back in the old days this wasn't much of a problem because the memory controller sat on the chipset North Bridge however those days are far behind us. As all CPU vendors now integrate the memory controller directly into the CPU die mid stream change out's using north bridge controller upgrades are more or less out of the question, you will be unable to pick up a current Haswell CPU and drop it into a DDR4 platform regardless of pin compatibility. You may see a Haswell refresh or desktop Broadwell part with a DDR4 memory controller, but the current crop of CPU's is a big fat no.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreggD

Meh. I'm sticking with my DDR3 16gb build. By the time this is affordable, I'll consider upgrading. Maybe by then games will actually need that kind of horsepower...

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After my motherboard died I kept my overclocked quad core i5 2500k aside and moved my GTX 570 into a media pc with dual core i3 2120 at stock speeds - and haven't noticed any difference, the only point of a new graphics card for me would be 120 fps gaming so... This new RAM would be pretty pointless for quite a while :/

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Sony using DDR5? Or is that graphics card memory, and thus different?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Sony using DDR5? Or is that graphics card memory, and thus different?

It is currently most common in video cards, yes. However, they're apparently using it as the actual RAM solution. It's mind boggling.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nictel

@tycobb said:

Sweet. That basically just set my next computer build to be a year or so from now once it has its initial price drop.

Mine too, 64GB memory build incoming. <I am going to run all of the virtual machines>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.