Direct2Drive turned into GameFly, almost all games missing

#1 Edited by Flappybat (73 posts) -

This is insane. A few games will be missing? I have two games. Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean and Sid Meier's Pirates (I guess pirategames made it ok?). Two out of seventeen!

I'm missing:

• Lego Star Wars 3
  • Dirt 3
  • Dirt 2
  • Mass Effect
  • Fable 3
  • Football Manager 2011
  • Split Second
  • Rift
  • DC Universe Online
  • Bad Company 2 Vietnam
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  • Supreme Commander Gold
  • Zeno Clash
  • Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Penumbra Collection
#2 Posted by Branthog (7510 posts) -

Wait, what do you mean by "missing"? Surely D2D can't just strip out games from your account that they're no longer selling? Steam doesn't do that. They may stop selling a game for whatever reason (has happened a few times), but those who bought it still own and have access to it.

If that's not the case, here, then it sounds like D2D has given people yet more reason to commit morally justified "piracy" simply to attain things they have already paid for the license to play.

#3 Posted by Flappybat (73 posts) -

They got bought by Gamefly and it has been relaunched as part of Gamefly.

Here is part of the email I got last week:

We're currently moving as many game titles as possible from Direct2Drive to GameFly. We will continue to work hard to bring ALL Direct2Drive titles to GameFly, if possible. Some older titles may take a bit longer or may not be migrated if their specs are no longer supported by today's technology. The number of these unsupported titles will be minimal, and will not impact the majority of our customers.

I'm missing just under 90% of my purchases.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

Why didn't you download them before the switch?

#5 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Damn, almost 90% of your stuff is gone? If that doesn't get fixed soon, that's really shitty of them. They do say that some titles may take longer, so maybe they'll be on there soon? I can't see them just passing over Mass Effect or the DiRT games.

#6 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1577 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Why didn't you download them before the switch?

I have to echo this sentiment. I am by no means saying I approve of what happened here, but this merger wasn't exactly a secret. It was a pretty shitty thing to happen, but you could have avoided it with preparation. Still, that sucks.

#7 Edited by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Those all seem recent enough that they'd transfer, I hope they eventually make it over.

This is why I hate the idea of having to buy games from Origin. When dealing with Steam's competition you never know if they'll either fold, or get rolled into another company or what.

#8 Posted by Flappybat (73 posts) -

I did download most of them? That doesn't really make up for them disappearing.

#9 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

@Flappybat said:

I did download most of them? That doesn't really make up for them disappearing.

So you downloaded them and now you can't play them? That's crazy, I'd be freaking out.

#10 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I thought it was cute when people were trying to downplay Origin back before BF3 came out by talking like D2D was more of a permanent fixture.

#11 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

I am only missing 3 of my games.

#12 Posted by Flappybat (73 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Sometimes they added some extra DRM to them so they had their own patches but I don't think they required an internet connection

#13 Posted by leftcoastguy (1 posts) -

Why not just re-download the games? Because eventually hard disk is going to fried again (or you will get a new computer) and then what? All this proprietary DRM crap isn't going to let you simply move your games to a new hard drive or computer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.