Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

DirectX 10.1 Fizzled?

David335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By David335

DirectX 10.1 seemed to be a big thing for the future, but now we haven't seen any games that support it and the games that said they would have begun to pull their support or to minimize it. Has DX10.1 Fizzled or has it just not began in full force yet?

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Locke

As of right now the only cards that support it are the new ATI cards. 

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Scorched

the transition to dx10 is still being made by the majority of PC owners
    I have a card that will support it but the majority doesn't

David335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By David335

But what do you think of the recent announcements of games pulling their support of the feature?

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By unclejohnny79

well dx11 has been anounced so i dont really know anymore

David335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By David335

Do you think that Nvidia is leaving too DX10 quickly or will the market just skip it at this rate.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr
    David335 said:
    "DirectX 10.1 seemed to be a big thing for the future, but now we haven't seen any games that support it and the games that said they would have begun to pull their support or to minimize it. Has DX10.1 Fizzled or has it just not began in full force yet?
    "
    I think it suffered somewhat from the apparent decline in high end pc gaming at the time of its release.

You know the whole "PC gaming is dead thing", though i think its just in a quiet part of the cycle and not helped by  the consoles (particularly console exclusive titles) now being in full swing. Unfortunately people look at the data from the end of last year and say, "well the money is in console exclusives". Sony and Microsoft to happy to snag them.

Rampant piracy is no help either I imagine. I wouldnt even discount the effects of WoW and other MMO's monopolising peoples time and dollar. Thank christ for steam or thing might be looking pretty bleak.
    Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nobility

It died when Microsoft announced DX10/10.1 to be Vista only, while people have managed to port it to XP, it lost all momentum.  Hopefully DX11 will bring the innovation throughout the PC scene.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr
    Nobility said:
    "It died when Microsoft announced DX10/10.1 to be Vista only, while people have managed to port it to XP, it lost all momentum.  Hopefully DX11 will bring the innovation throughout the PC scene."

O yeh i forgot. Vista's fail sure didnt help. I know that why i didnt give two hoots for DX10
    Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Will1Lucky

Well Assasins Creed did use DX10.1 but apparently Nvidia forced it too be pulled seeing how there cards dont support it and ATI's did and those cards were having massive performance boosts.

Nvidia still refuse to support it while ATI are trying to push it, that is the reason why 10.1 hasnt been adopted very well, and with DX11 on the way it looks like it simply wont happen now.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By mrhankey

DX10.1 was kinda of like a HotFix....and if i read the DX11 report right those cards should be able to utilize a lot of DX11 but not all. Which by the time DX11 is released i hope to be upgrading graphics cards again.

SmokeyDaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmokeyDaBear

I have no idea what is going on with DX 10 and DX 10.1. I guess that they are failures because DX 11 is already on its way. I thought that it normally took a long time for those sort of things to happen, maybe I'm just not remembering things.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By aegis_and_pred

DIRECT X 11 WILL BE BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL CURRENT HARDWARE!!!! THERE WILL BE SPECIFIC DX11 HARDWARE BECAUSE MICROSOFT IS RETARDED AND WANTS TO SPLIT THEIR BASE AGAIN!!!! ...

sigh ... by the way ... this is an edit!

... ahem ... sorry ... Dx10.1 was a joke if you ask me and really what they're doing is just scrapping the idea and rolling out dx11 instead.

David335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By David335

Predarus, Do you have any links to support that I have not heard that, maybe I just missed it.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aegis_and_pred
    http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/blog/post/687365/Interview_Microsofts_Kevin_Unangst_on_Games_for_Windows_LIVE__DirectX_11.html

DAMNIT! ... Fooled again! ... :|

"DirectX 11

Kevin stressed that today's announcement was a "technology" announcement. Furthermore, "DirectX 11 will work on Windows Vista, as well as the next version of Windows, which will support DirectX 10, 10.1, and of course new DirectX 11 hardware."

Even though there will be backwards-compatibility with DX10 hardware, the compatibility isn't 100%. According to Kevin, "you can expect that there will be DX11 features that need DX11 hardware," though Microsoft isn't ready to announce what they are at this time.

"Some of the improvements," continued Kevin, "for example, the ability to take much better advantage of multi-core capable PC's [is] something that we're going to extend all the way down to DX10 hardware. There are improvements across the board for gamers that have DX10 and DX10 hardware as well as some new things that we'll do that will require DX11 hardware."

"If you look at DX11, which is a direct superset of what DX10 and 10.1 offer, you're starting to see all of the investment developers have made in DX10 and 10.1 and consumers have made in that hardware, that experience is only going to get better with DX11."

It's too early to hear about any specific games or developers that are getting DirectX 11-ready, but it looks like a good future for Games for Windows LIVE and DirectX 11."

this guy is a douchebag ...
    this guy is a douchebag ...

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Locke said:
    "As of right now the only cards that support it are the new ATI cards. "
    The I might get a ATI care :)
    Scorched
    said:
    "the transition to dx10 is still being made by the majority of PC owners
    I have a card that will support it but the majority doesn't
    "
    Thats true, lots of older gamers still wanna keep with XP for the better gaming capabilities.
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By albaker

Damn DX10 and 10.1 was a complete waste imo, even thoug I have vista and own a dx10 card I still don't think DX10 is that good.

Plus, Assassins Creed is the only game that uses DX10.1 ad nvidia doesn't wanna support it.

As long as our DX10 cards can run DX11 stable and good I am fine with it

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By y0y0
    albaker said:
    "Damn DX10 and 10.1 was a complete waste imo, even thoug I have vista and own a dx10 card I still don't think DX10 is that good.

Plus, Assassins Creed is the only game that uses DX10.1 ad nvidia doesn't wanna support it.

As long as our DX10 cards can run DX11 stable and good I am fine with it
    "
    Actually, Nvidia with the recent succes of the HD 4xxxx series have decided to put DX10.1 on the succesor to the GTX 200 series, this shows DX10.1 will definetly be used in the near future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.