Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Diving back into the PC world

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FesteringNeon

I've just done my taxes, and want to upgrade my PC. This will be for light video editing
    and gaming. I do intend on getting BF3 when it arrives.. but will only be using 1 Dell SP2309W monitor
    Since I don't know how to build properly, or have the patience.. I decided to check out ibuypower.com.
    Here are the components I picked out, and managed to come out $3.85 over budget.

1 x Case ( Thermaltake Dokker Gaming Case - Black )
    1 x Processor ( Sandy Bridge Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
    1 x Processor Cooling ( Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) )
    1 x Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
    1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 900MHz - Single Card )
    1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE] - 12-In-1 External Built-in USB Cable Flash Media Card Reader/Writer SDHC supported )
    1 x Free Stuff ( [Free Game Voucher] - Star Trek Online - Free with Purchase of Selected Intel Core i5/i7 Processor or SSD )
    1 x Motherboard ( [SLI] ASUS Sabertooth P67 -- Thermal Armor Airflow design )
    1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
    1 x Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- Standard )
    1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
    1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
    1 x Meter Display ( NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display )
    1 x Sound Card ( Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio )
    1 x Network Card ( [$49 - $20 Instant off = $29] Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card )
    1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
    1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
    1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
    1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
    1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - Deferred Delivery (Ship Out in 15 Business Days) - 5% OFF on systems over $999 (Coupon Code: defer) )

Better or equivalent to Jeffs setup?
    I know he has a faster card, and better case.. but I hope the mobo/cooling/dominator memory will help.
    Of course there are a few items not needed, but wern't too expensive

I went with the i5 over 7, because this is unlocked and shouldn't be much slower than a locked i7

What do you guys think? 
    For fun, do you think you could beat this system for 1500 on any other site? If so, I'll buy you a cookie! 

No Caption Provided
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contro

Beefy system. I've done may taxes and have come to the opposite decision - I'm done with PC gaming for the time being. I just can't be bothered to keep up with it any more. Maybe in the future I'll re-enter the rat race.

I've always wondered how those cookies vanish...

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dejkrigeren

Your system seems fine, however that PSU worries me. "Standard" is a very broad definition any way to check out what it is? I can't stress enough how important it is to get a decent power supply

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By fattony12000

I think you can scrap the watercooling, touchscreen fan controller, soundcard, and pointless network card. Also, what are the prices of the individual components?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fattony12000 said:
    " I think you can scrap the watercooling, touchscreen fan controller, soundcard, and pointless network card. Also, what are the prices of the individual components? "
    All of these parts are essentially redundant. I'd rethink your key-parts, get a better case and drop most of these. Dominator RAM and CPU are good, but you want an equally good PSU.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Where in the world?

PC World.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fattony12000

I'm up to this so far: 

EDIT
    Tweaked to include a full fat GTX 580 and 16GB of RAM

Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
        Item #: N82E16811352004
        $109.99

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire ...
        Item #: N82E16817182072
        $99.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
        Item #: N82E16819115072
        $224.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
        Item #: N82E16822136533
        $89.99

SPARKLE SXX5801536D5NM GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
        Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
        -$15.00 Instant
        -$45.00 Combo
        $25.00 Mail-in Rebate14-187-125  
        $694.98

Kingston DataTraveler 102 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Green) Model DT102/4GBZ
        Item #: N82E16820139250
        -$8.99 Saving

Subtotal:   $1,344.93
    3 day shipping:   $0.00
    Grand Total:   $1,344.93 

Building is not hard in the least, and hasn't been for about 15 years, what with colour coding and clear labelling on components and motherboards.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

Slightly worse than Jeff's setup (as his is a 570). Motherboard and memory have nothing to do with performance in games, if you're going to spend extra money, spend it directly on the graphics card. Your 8GB Corsair Dominator will barely give you a single fps performance advantage over 4GB non-Dominator. There's also no point in a network card, and barely any point for a sound card (speakers >>> sound card). The power supply is also a little sketchy if they're not giving you any sort of description. 

If you cut out the excess expenditure I mentioned above, you'd save yourself ~$200, which could practically get you GTX 560 SLI or a single GTX 580 if you were so inclined. 

Also, unless you're a heavy overclocker there's zero point in getting that motherboard, in which you could save additional money. 

sooperjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sooperjoe

There is no way you will need close to 16GB of RAM, put that money to use somewhere else.  Modular power supplies are cool, so is a faster drive for your OS and some games if you can find the money.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FesteringNeon

Here I'll list prices. And truthfully, I doubt no matter how easy it is to put together a computer.. I will end up screwing something up. I'd rather just have it made, and not have to worry about it. The reasons I went with the soundcard, is because I have a good pair of Sennheiser headphones and really need that extra boost in fidelity, and my Klipsch speakers will benefit as well.  The mobo (I want to eventually have the capibility to run SLI) is something I wonder about, the power supply is something I can work on, but couldn't find a way to fit a better one in without losing much.

I just started with Special A, and picked stuff out from there.  Now i'm not attached to ibuypower.com or anything.. but it was the first place i'd checked that will put it together for me. 
    The cooling is kinda part of the special, and the touchscreen isn't too expensive and might be kinda neat. Network card, power, mobo, and ram was the areas of main concern. The ram worries me a bit, because the pictured ram doesn't look like it has any heat spreading, unless it's the dominator ram. My thinking is with the cooling, it might help to keep the computer running better, for longer. I'm not going to get into extreme overclocking, but with the better cooling I was hoping to do a little. My main uses will be light gaming, but I'd also like great sound, something that will last me, and still be snappy. I don't know if any other sites have a better lineup of parts for cheaper.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FesteringNeon

bump?

contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By contagious
    @bukkookkub:  Are you saying you are keeping your soundcard and network card, yet not getting a decent PSU? Don't cheap out on the PSU, it is holding EVERYTHING together, you lose that and you can lose everything.
    I literally just woke up, so not sure if I am reading that right.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Rosewill Power Supply?

That's the only questionable piece of hardware in your rig.  

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By unchained

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but if you are buying this to get ready for BF3, then maybe wait until the nVidia's 600 series is released? Rumors are saying June. Also if you wait about 4-6 months, you can hold out for the Ivy Bridge processors as opposed to the current Sandy Bridge ones. The Ivy Bridge will have better ramifications for gaming.  

I'd suggest checking out NCIX. You choose the parts, and they build it for a $50 fee. I too am planning on building/buying a new system this year, but I'm going to hold off until Q3.  

Edit: Rumors are saying announcement in June. Sept-Oct for the release, I'd guess.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @contagious said:
    " @bukkookkub:  Are you saying you are keeping your soundcard and network card, yet not getting a decent PSU? Don't cheap out on the PSU, it is holding EVERYTHING together, you lose that and you can lose everything. I literally just woke up, so not sure if I am reading that right. "
    The network card can go.. but the soundcard i'd really like to keep. I have an onboard soundcard now.. and just doesn't give me the oomph or fidelity i'm looking for.  Everything else is kinda up in the air. I'd like to keep the fan readout / temp screen as it's only 20 or so bucks... I do want good parts, and will heavily consider getting a better PSU. I just don't know where else there might be a deal better or a way to keep all the things I want, and /or get a better deal.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @Unchained said:
    " I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but if you are buying this to get ready for BF3, then maybe wait until the nVidia's 600 series is released? Rumors are saying June. Also if you wait about 4-6 months, you can hold out for the Ivy Bridge processors as opposed to the current Sandy Bridge ones. The Ivy Bridge will have better ramifications for gaming.  

I'd suggest checking out NCIX. You choose the parts, and they build it for a $50 fee. I too am planning on building/buying a new system this year, but I'm going to hold off until Q3.  

Edit: Rumors are saying announcement in June. Sept-Oct for the release, I'd guess. "
    Nice thank you very much for this info! I'll definitely consider your advice. I can wait.. but it's sooo hard to when the money is just burning the bank. 
    Thanks for the NCIX option! I just found the US version @ ncixus.com .. gonna bookmark this and probably wait to read more on the Ivy Bridge. Are you thinking about the same budget? or going more hardcore? If so.. i'd like to know what you end up with. Maybe it'll help put things into perspective.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By warxsnake

If you're a multitasker with dual monitors and has stuff running while you play games, or maybe also are an artist and use modeling programs= More Ram 
    If you're single monitor and keep things simple = Focus on the GPU, upgrade to 570.

TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TravisT

Welcome Back to the PC Universe.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @warxsnake:@TravisT: 
    Yea i'd like to do the dual screen thing later as I do want to use my tablet more often.  But want to ensure that if i do that.. i don't need to upgrade anything for awhile. 

And thanks, i've always been in the PC universe.. but, just not in the way i'd like to be : /
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @bukkookkub:  I don't understand Audio very well and I am completely happy with my onboard sound card so forgive me if I am completely off the mark here, but as I understand it you want to replace the onboard sound card that gives you 24bits/192khz True BD Lossless sound for a soundcard that only has 24bit/96khz listed in the specs, and you want this to improve your audio quality.

This is the information listed in the mobo specs for the Asus Sabretooth.

Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Absolute Pitch 192khz/24bit True BD Lossless Sound
    - BD Audio Layer Content Protection
    - Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
    - Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O

And this is for the Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

- Playback: Stereo/Surround: up to 24bit/96kHz
    - Recording: up to 24-bit/96kHz
    - SPDIF: up to 24-bit/96kHz
    - Windows Vista/UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Compliant
    - Full Height, PCI Express 1x card

What I see here is that the onboard audio has support for BD, a bigger frequency range and all the outputs you would need while the Soundblaster is works with a 4 year old operating system, will clip the audio output of a BD recording and use up an expansion slot on your mobo, potentially blocking airflow and creating pockets of stale air in the case. Please explain how the Soundblaster is better, what am I missing?
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014

I dunno why. I'd got my system in 2008, with  just  a humble little geforce 8600 gt and core 2 dua @ 2.2 ghz, and I haven't u[graded it since, and it runs ALL current games at at least medium settings and smooth framerates. I also do plenty of video editing (tho it does slow down then)
    Im a happy man

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unchained
    @bukkookkub said:
     Are you thinking about the same budget? or going more hardcore? If so.. i'd like to know what you end up with. Maybe it'll help put things into perspective. "
    I'm probably going to shoot for about $2000-$2500 or so. I really want a "large" (120gb or more) SSD for my OS and my most cherished games.  And I'm going to buy the best single card GPU at the time.  

I'm really impressed by NCIX, and I'm glad you've considered them. Quite excellent. I've only ordered a singly component from them so far, but I was impressed nonetheless. 
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FesteringNeon
    @TheKeyboardDemon: Sorry, again I haven't been in the PC market for awhile now.. and don't really know much about that mobo, or if it's the best one to get. I figured a different soundcard might provide an extra bit of oomph in terms of power versus onboard. Then again i'm still rocking old '97 Realtek sound on this sweetass mobo i'm currently using. Thanks for pointing this out for me as it's still a learning process. This is another area that should save a few bucks to put toward a better PSU, along with ruling out a special network card, and finding/ordering different ram later and installing that myself (which i can do) . 

@Unchained:  Yea finding a SSD for the OS and a few games would probably be not a bad area to invest in.  The time then for me could be different, and maybe my PC budget will change.. but if that NCIX has the option to put it together.. and we have the ability to pick from more parts, that'll be a great option.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Time_Lord

Nice set uo I'm about done with pc gaming to much of a pain in the ass to get games to work corectly espicaly when you want to play everything on max.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @bukkookkub: Years back mobos were quite basic and it was up to the user to add the features they needed, these days there is a big market for good quality mobos and none of the manufacturers want to be left behind so they all look at ways in which they can add value, good soundcards is 1 of these areas, it has been a long time since the A97 chips have seen the light of day, these days a digital 8 channel solution is considered normal and you'd have to spend $150+ to get something significantly better, as I understand it. But as I said before, I'm not an audio expert, I would just like to see you get more for your money.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

I think that's a good build OP, but you probably overspend on the mobo and underspent on the video card. 

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Cirdain

PC GAMEZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishlist

BEWARE THIS IS ALL OPINION AND PREJUDICE (really, c'mon what were you expecting)

This may all change...
    EDIT: THESE ARE NOT PC-ONLY
    EDIT: THIS IS FOR THE FUTURE NOT FOR 2011 

1st place#

Robert Briscoe's Remake of thechineseroom's - Dear Esther!!!!
    -

It's some crazy standalone thing on the source engine which you have to buy. I don't care. Story telling has never been so direct or artsy.

-

1. Portal 2

I ♥ Valve.

2. Batman: Arkham City

I ♥ Rocksteady. I'm working on getting all of the Riddler challenges.

3. Duke Nukem Forever

DNF is the most fun looking game I've ever seen since Amped 3 or snake

4. BioShock Infinite

http://www.giantbomb.com/ten-minutes-of-bioshock-infinite/17-3257/ OMG DID YOU SEE THAT.. THAT BELL LIKE SMASH DOWN THEN THERE WAS LIKE THE CRAZY WAVY STUFF ON THE SIDE!! AND SHE WAS SWEEPING IN FIRE AND THERE WAS THE HOOK AND SMASH PEOPLE AT 100MPHS!! AND THERE WAS THAT PART WHERE HE CAUGHT THE CANNON BULLET THING AND IT WAS RED HOT AND IT EXPLODED INTO THAT DUDE WHO SHOT IT AND THEN THERE WAS THE CRAZY WEATHER STUFF WITH THE PLASMIDS AND THERE WAS THAT HANDYMAN AND THEY DESTROYED THAT BRIDGE THEN THEY WERE ALL LIKE "Is that it" AND THEN SHE WAS ALL LIKE "No"...

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Black and Gold is a great choice of colour palate. And I love the gameplay that I've seen of it so far. It's like mass effect 2, times infinity.

6. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

This may become the best RPG ever made.

7. Mass Effect 3

Finish the fight!! Man playing through the 4 different save games of Mass Effect 2 is gonna be a bitch.

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I ♥ Elder Scrolls

9. Bastion

5 people being awesome and a bloody awesome narrator.

10. Battlefield 3

I hope DICE do better than the Medal of Honor's multiplayer. Snipers at the ready.

11. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Very Very awesome story.

12. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Very Very awesome story.

13. Rage

Debut Trailer - http://www.destructoid.com/first-trailer-for-id-s-rage-needs-more-cyberdemons-37522.phtml

14. Spec Ops: The Line

"Spec Ops: The Line is an upcoming narrative-driven military-themed third person shooter set in Dubai in the aftermath of destructive sandstorms."

15. Max Payne 3

I know nothing about Max Payne and I'm gonna keep it that way till 2 weeks before this comes out where I will play through all the games before then and roll onto Max Payne 3. Rockstar Vancouver I hope this is awesome.

16. Brink

Parkour is awesome.. So is trying to shoot people in the head while they are moving really fast. Oh wait that doesn't.. I don't think I'll be good enough at this.

17. XCOM

ATTACK OF THE GOO OR ALIENS OR VORTEXES BUT MAINLY GOO!!!!!

18. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

I quite liked the early Ghost Recon games. Hopefully this is as ridiculously hardcore as ghost recon games should be.

19. Risen 2: Dark Waters

Rockpaper shotgun's article made me want this slightly

20. Aliens: Colonial Marines

Gearbox Shooter Aliens Survival Horror = Some sort of crazy

21. Diablo III

...I think I may be the only one in the world that doesn't like the Diablo style gameplay. But I'm gonna try this out anyway. Yeah, I tried torchlight, I didn't like it.

22. Half-Life 2: Episode Three

News on this is silent, therefore my anticipation for this is silent... But, when they start talking about this my excitement will be through the roof!!!

23. Natural Selection 2

FPS and RTS!!? Could be good. Indie games FTW :)

24. Red Faction: Armageddon

Red Faction: Guerrilla for the PC was one of the most disappointing and pathetic ports I have ever witnessed. I really really hope they make this less shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.