Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Do you use steam offline mode?

Zojirushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zojirushi

Poll Do you use steam offline mode? (76 votes)

I got internet so I don't give a shit (also I got other things to do when internet goes out once in a while) 29%
    I never use it but I'm glad it exists, just in case 53%
    I use it now and then because I don't want to/can't be online a lot of times when I play games 16%
    I predominantly play games in offline mode/I depend on offline mode for various reasons. 3%

With Microsoft's announcement of their 24h check in policy I figured it'd be interesting to see how many people make use of steam's offline capabilities.

I guess what I'm wondering is if having to be online pretty much all the time isn't a total non issue for most people (especially for the ones crazy enough to buy videogame consoles around launch day)

• 
    SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SexyToad

I use it whenever my Internet is being wonky.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I only use it when I bring my PC to my parents home and I am too lazy to unplug the Ethernet cable from their PC and connect it to mine.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sexytoad said:

I use it whenever my Internet is being wonky.

Then quit uploading a bunch of nude shots of yourself to Perez Hilton.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams: I...I thought my Internet could handle it...

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I don't have internet, I don't want to live!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I've tried, it's usually garbage though; can be quite frustrating for "steam-only" games. Though if I buy a game on a sale digitally from their store it doesn't have the same impact so I don't care as much if it doesn't work offline; but those few times I've bought a hard copy of a PC game that had DRM and it refuses to work I was aggravated. Still doesn't even hold a candle to this 24 hour bullshit, Steam might not work offline about half the time; XBone won't work 100% of the time after 24 hours with no internet; which isn't really that uncommon of an occurrence (let alone all the potential for the system going down).

Psychohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use it a ton. My roommate often wants access to some game or other that's on my account, so she'll log into it in offline mode. (Or vice versa; she'll be online doing something, so I'll just hop into offline mode.) As long as both of us don't wanna play multiplayer stuff at the same time, it works fine.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

Bow down before my mighty internet connection, peasants!

Though Offline Mode has been helpful in a handful of situations.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use it whenever my internet is down and I want to play a game on Steam. It's infrequent but it happens.

I had an internet outage for several hours on Monday but I did not play games on Steam. Instead I fired up the PS3 for the first time in a couple of weeks and played a bunch of games on that without issue. That's the advantage of a dedicated video game console, I guess.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

I use it all the time to share my games with my wife so we don't need to both buy SP games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.