Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Do you use you PC with a TV?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By kaos_cracker

Poll Do you use you PC with a TV? (38 votes)

All the time 71%
    Only for games 24%
    Depends on what I'm doing 61%
    Never 42%

I been listening to older bombcasts about how Ryan and Brad would hook up their PC to a TV and how it makes a lot of things better. I haven't done that since I got a monitor but today I decided to try it again. I gotta say, watching stuff from Giant Bomb on a TV is really nice, and I'm excited to be able to play games on a bigger screen, so it seems like something that'll be worth it.

Anyone else use their TV with their PC or does everyone just stick with a monitor?

• 
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

For browsing no (it's really hard to make out text that small) but for playing games and watching videos definitely. You haven't lived until you've seen a close up of Jeff's face in 1080p on a 51 inch television.

Steam In-Home Streaming is rad because I can hook my laptop up to the TV and play games with the power of my desktop. It's like having a console that can play almost every game ever (every PC game and every console game up to the Wii).

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShapeOfDespair

I drag my PC out to the living room when friends come over so we can play party and fighting games.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Sometimes, sure. My PC and my TV are about 6 ft apart, so it's quite easy. For games that work well with a controller, I have no issues with playing them on my bigger TV. For those games that play better with a MKB, however, I usually stay on the PC for comfort.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not. I have considered doing it but my eyesight is terrible considering how far we have the TV away from the couch. It's clear enough to see TV shows but to see anything I really want to focus on, like the graphical detail in games and text I need to have a monitor a few feet away from my face.

Steam streaming does sound pretty rad though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what I'm doing. I tend to use it only as a multi-monitor because my 1440p monitor is typically the game one.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do, unequivocally. But then I accept cables from my K+M and my controller to my PC. I have thought it out if I was forced out of the living room. The main hassle would be consoles on a monitor, which I believe is no problem.

I am considering a 4K TV soon.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have a TV as my second monitor.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Main monitor is a fancy TV, and second "monitor" is a neat full HD projector that gives us 300 inches of videogame/movie goodness.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the games but for most console ports yes, for simulators and RTS games no. I stream stuff all the time too. I still have a great deal of friends who don't know their laptops have HDMI ports though.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Nope, never.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have everything hooked into a 40 inch. The thing has 5 HDMI ports, so I got a Wii U, Xbone, PS4 and PC all hooked up at once. It sits on top of my giant desk, 4 feet from my face at all times.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's how I always use my desktop. It's good for videos and most console style games, but I can't stand browsing the internet on it, or playing a proper mouse and keyboard game. I feel like I need to set up a desk for that kinda stuff.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By seemah

I haven't owned a monitor in over 3 years. Currently I have a 51" LED 120HZ about 5 feet away from were I sit. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard for surfing the internet and a Xbox 360 controller for all gaming.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the time! I have a computer monitor that I do my real work on, but I have an HDMI cable running to my TV (55 in.) so I can watch videos, browse the Internet, and play games from my couch.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15 sgtsphynx  Moderator

The PC I am using right now is hooked up to a 47" HD Plasma TV, and I use it as my moniter

Herman30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I generally play all my games on my pc monitor but use the tv to watch videos on. Like a lot of people are saying it's more comfortable play mouse and keyboard games at a desk.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No me not use me computer with TV.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once i plugged my PC into my tv i never looked back to my old (by now) monitor .

It's a such a great experience to play games , browse the web and watch different kinds of materials all with one device and on top of my comfy couch .

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Hell yeah! Always for games. That with a X360 controller is a great upgrade in experience (especially cause it's a laptop)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope I thought about it though but I kind of like sitting close up when I'm gaming get to see more detail and feel more immersed into the world.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By SubwayD

I'm the other way around. I run my consoles through a PC monitor.

Probably the more common set up, right?

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the living room PC connected to a TV for YouTube, Giant Bomb videos and games suited for a controller.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Twisted

I think I broke the poll.

And no I do not, just have it connected to my 24" monitor at my desk.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

People using TVs instead of monitors entirely make me cringe. The latency and blurriness is horrible, not to mention having 1080p all stretched out at 40+ inches (that DPI *shudder*) in front of your face.

Watching GB content and Twitch on a TV is great though, but I use a PS4 or a Raspberry Pi with XBMC on it for that.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

For games suited to a controller I do. And I also use it for playing media off my NAS and various streaming services.

bhurnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I do the reverse - I have a PCI board that lets me watch over-the-air TV on my PC. No need for an actual TV in the room too...

But in terms of the poll, sometimes - I've never done it for games, but I will often set up the living room TV to watch videos from the PC. It helps that it's a "smart" TV and connected to the home network, so it's usually no more difficult than showing the file on the real monitor. Even streaming video works fairly well (UPF archives can make a pretty decent background to housework).

Thinking about it now, I can hardly imagine playing a game on it. I guess it's an opinion thing but for my situation I'm pretty sure it would offer literally no benefit and plenty of downsides.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since I moved into this house, I've had my 32-inch TV hooked up to my PC as a second monitor. It's indulgent, sure, but it's the only place it would fit. Great for games and videos, too.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had a monitor in years. Everything is connected to my TV.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: the latency on my Sony 42w802a is 17 ms and i've never noticed any blurriness on the screen. The only thing i can agree on is seeing pixels once i get closer to the tv but this is why i bought a 42 inch screen which is to get as far as possible from the tv screen and still enjoy every single detail.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard

@giant_gamer: As long as you sit a decent distance away, I can respect that. Sitting with it at standard monitor distance to me is scary though.

17ms is 5x longer than the latency of a decent monitor though. And that's a latency of an entire frame at 60fps. Not that it matters that much to be honest.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The TV I have my PS4 plugged into sits next to my PC. I use it quite a lot as a second monitor. Handy when I want to watch a twitch stream or video whilst i'm playing a game.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would if my TV didn't have that latency, I guess it's also called input lag. I play a lot of shooters so that just doesn't work out. Whenever I'm at a friends house and I notice the latency on their big TVs.. They're like playing Destiny or something and going "wtf are you talking about, input lag?!". I'm like, "you could just use your PC screen and the game will feel a lot more responsive." Then they're like, "but I want the full-HD experience, big screen, bla bla." Then I proceed to explain what HD really means and that PC screens have had HD resolutions for over 10 years. This is something that will probably cause me eternal sighs for as long as I live.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hook my laptop up to my TV to watch Netflix quite frequently. Once in a blue moon I'll hook my desktop up to it so I can play games that are better on a controller.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ezekiel

TVs are too big for me. When I sit far away, I can't make out the details so well, especially computer text, and when I sit closely I have to move my eyes too much. 24 to 27 inches is perfect for me. I don't watch TV, other than some shows I pirate.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the opposite entirely, I use my great computer monitor for my PC and all consoles. Never will go back to TV, quality just doesn't come close.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

I use my PC as a gaming console so it is set up to run through my plasma. I have a decent laptop for all my word-processing etc needs. The laptop is also capable of running most games at mid-level settings so any games I want to play that really don't work with a controller I will usually play on that.

Salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

32" Sony TV + 1 27" PC monitor.

I use the TV for playing a game fullscreen/windowed and watching videos on the pc monitor to the side. It's a great setup and I honestly couldn't go back to a smaller monitor/TV.

I thought alot about input lag before I purchased the TV when i played a lot of online FPS' but I didn't notice any lag and I still got good K/D ratio's, so I guess it didn't affect me. Maybe it's the type of TV that input lag is more noticeable? Refresh rates, cheaper TV's etc etc... But these days I don't play as many fps' and its fantastic for all the games I play now. These newer games look absolutely beautiful on a big screen.

Mind you the TV is more or less set up like a monitor in my room - in front of my face on a desk next to the PC tower.. Going for a bigger TV doesn't seem desirable to me and any bigger would be for the living room at a distance.

Anybody use a bigger TV close up like a monitor? 40" and up? I'd imagine myself getting sick playing a game like Borderlands or something and I don't get motion sickness in games...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Never, not because I wouldn't ever do it, but because I have my PC in my bedroom. My monitor is my Wii U screen, actually. When I move out on my own, I'll play on having my PC in the living room. Or at least a server/media center/Steam streaming PC connected to the living room TV.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: its response is really low when you compare it with pc monitors but it is still descent for gaming and i never noticed the input lag.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My second monitor is my TV.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By nickhead

I bought a long hdmi cable just so I could play controller-type games on my home theater. Big screen with surround sound made it totally worth it to hook up my PC.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At times with my laptop. Sometimes as a 19" 16:9 screen for what little gaming I can do with Intel 1000 graphics, and sometimes as a second and slightly bigger screen for video editing. And when I build my desktop, my TV will be a monitor for that until I can get one of those fancy 144Hz monitors.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have an HDMI cable hooked up to my HDTV in the living room. I use it all the time when watching movies or TV shows on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. (I don't pay for cable). I rarely use it for games though. Even for console-style games I find myself playing it on my monitor instead of my TV.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have one PC permanently hooked up to my main TV, and a TV hanging off my biggest PC as a secondary screen when I want it.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the people saying no seem to assume you have to use the TV exclusively. What I do is hook up my PC to my TV via a long HDMI cable and use it as a duplicated second monitor. That way I can sit down and do my work / use mouse based PC games, and then use the TV for movies and most games without having to reconfigure anything. It's really convenient. If you like, you can even get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad on it for navigating netflix or whatever, but I find that it works pretty well without it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.