Does anyone here still buy retail copies of PC games?

• 105 results
#1 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

So today I went over to my local computer store just to drop in and see what they had.  I was looking around at stuff and what caught my eye was the Blizzard Games.  I really don't have a strong relationship with Blizzard, with the only games being Diablo, Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft.  Anyways, make a long story short, I picked up Warcraft Battlechest for $19.99 and I am installing it right now.  The only thing I could harp on is the fact that there is no Warcraft 2 and 3 on the disk.

But this got me thinking, will I ever use a service such as Steam?  I find interesting that even though that I am purchasing a game at the retail end, I could probably get it cheaper online.  Also I remember from somewhere (forgot where) that the majority of Blizzard's sales came from the retail.  Anyone else in that demographic?

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If it has a Steam code and cheaper than Steam.

#3 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

Only if it is cheap. I always regret it though if it isn't steamworks.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36120 posts) -

That would imply that I, at some point, bought retail PC games. That's never been the case.

#6 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

I buy PC games off of steam. Think last game i bought for pc in person was like 2 years ago... (CoH)

#7 Posted by Daveyo520 (6663 posts) -

Steam for me.

#8 Posted by dagas (2753 posts) -

If it's much cheaper than Steam then yes. I don't buy many PC games anymore though.

#9 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
#10 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Godwind said:
  Also I remember from somewhere (forgot where) that the majority of Blizzard's sales came from the retail.  Anyone else in that demographic?
This is because they don't sell on Steam. Morons.

If they sign exclusively onto Steam, then every other digital distribution platform for PC games will cease to exist. Save for maybe GoG.
#11 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

I buy retail copies from the internets, because it's always a lot cheaper (for new games) than DD.  I couldn't care less about Steam - I don't find it significantly better or worse than any other DD site.

#12 Posted by mortal_sb (520 posts) -

bought portal 2 for 25 euros new from the uk. over german steam store i would've paid 49,99€.

#13 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Godwind said:
  I find interesting that even though that I am purchasing a game at the retail end, I could probably get it cheaper online.  Also I remember from somewhere (forgot where) that the majority of Blizzard's sales came from the retail.  Anyone else in that demographic?
Even though I bought my copy of SC2 retail, the product basically is still digital because after putting my disc in for the first install, the only thing that mattered is the serial number. It might as well be digital, but the only reason why I bought retail is so I won't have to dl a 8 gig file. I don't care how fast your net is, the servers to dl games whether its Blizzard or Steam is a little over a gig per hour. 
#14 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
@Godwind said:
  Also I remember from somewhere (forgot where) that the majority of Blizzard's sales came from the retail.  Anyone else in that demographic?
This is because they don't sell on Steam. Morons.If they sign exclusively onto Steam, then every other digital distribution platform for PC games will cease to exist. Save for maybe GoG.
Err, what?  Why?
#15 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

I love them PC game boxes, so purty!

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I bought Mass Effect 2 at a retail store late last year. If I'm looking for a game and I see something I want, I'll buy retail.

#17 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

I only buy stuff on Steam when it's on sale, it's too expensive otherwise. I just order stuff online, haven't bought a game in a store in ages.

#18 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

I do, especially if I can activate them on Steam

I bought disc versions of the Dawn of War 2 games, Lost Planet 2 and Starcraft 2, the two earlier ones because they were super cheap
#19 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

I would say 90% of my games were online purchases and a handful I bought retail as it worked out cheaper.

#20 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
@Aus_azn said:
@Godwind said:
This is because they don't sell on Steam. Morons.If they sign exclusively onto Steam, then every other digital distribution platform for PC games will cease to exist. Save for maybe GoG.
Err, what?  Why?
Among virtually everyone I know, the only games that people actually go out to buy full-price retail for are Blizzard games.

Considering Steam's ridiculously large userbase at this point, and the fact that they're leading the digital distribution market, if Blizzard were to sign with Steam, it'd be the end of other distribution platforms because nobody would be able to outlast them, except for GoG's niche market in old games.
#21 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

I mainly buy my pc games of Steam unless they're prices are ridiculous or the game I'm looking for isn't available there in which case Ebay is my next stop. As for brick and mortar game stores I stopped buying from there pretty much altogether including other console games since I don't think they care how much they try to charge their customers.

#22 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

nope

#23 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
This, but if it's cheap enough I'll buy retail without a steam code.
#24 Posted by NTM (7288 posts) -

I do. Only if they're exclusive, or if I already bought it on the consoles previously. I rarely (if ever) but games that are on PS3 or 360, on the PC first. And when I buy games that are exclusive to PC, I go retail. Steam is for games that I've already played elsewhere. Right now, I'm thinking about getting Dead Space 2 on Steam, which I already have on PS3, and Crysis 2, which I have on the 360.
#25 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I still do, my local video game store does a lot of awesome sales :)

#26 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

The next game I'll buy retail for PC will be either GW2 or D3. Aside from that, I don't need anymore boxes cluttering up space, and steam does a fine job being what it is.

#27 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

No way. I wouldn't even know where to go.

#28 Posted by MonetaryDread (1995 posts) -

I still buy physical copies whenever I can.  With a fifty gig bandwidth cap I don't want to waste ten gigs of it downloading a game. 

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I like having a physical disc. That said, if I own something and it goes really cheap on steam, I might buy it for the convenience.

#30 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

I have easilly been getting about 95% of my games off steam, I pretty much only ever buy games off steam now.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
@Jimbo said:
@Aus_azn said:
@Godwind said:
Err, what?  Why?
Among virtually everyone I know, the only games that people actually go out to buy full-price retail for are Blizzard games.Considering Steam's ridiculously large userbase at this point, and the fact that they're leading the digital distribution market, if Blizzard were to sign with Steam, it'd be the end of other distribution platforms because nobody would be able to outlast them, except for GoG's niche market in old games.
I still don't follow your logic.  The other sites don't sell Blizzard games now and they wouldn't sell them after - it wouldn't make any difference to them.  D2D, GamersGate etc. aren't going to shut down just because Steam started selling Blizzard games.
#32 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

The Blizzard service is not competing with Steam. Steam already won. The Blizzard service exists in its own bubble because Blizzard does well enough that they can compete outside of the paradigm. Sure they could be on Steam, but why would they need to? They have enough hundred dollar bills to wipe their ass into the grave.

#33 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

very, very rarely. last retail box i bought was mass effect 2, and that's because it was only £11.

#34 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I do.

#35 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1736 posts) -

I stopped buying retail PC when all The Orange Box had in it was a piece of paper with a Steam code.

#36 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Bought CIv 5 not that long ago. I should buy all my PC games physically, but when Steam does a deal like Mass Effect or Dead Space for 5 dollars, I cant refuse. 

#37 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
I stopped buying retail PC when all The Orange Box had in it was a piece of paper with a Steam code.
But the box was nice, right? That was a nice box.
#38 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Didnt even know they still made retail boxes for pc games.

#39 Posted by Sargus (723 posts) -

The internet at my house is absolutely horrible, so buying large games digitally doesn't make any sense whatsoever for me. I buy physical discs whenever I can (which I like anyway), unless it's a smaller game like Trine or Torchlight.

#40 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1736 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
@SoldierG654342 said:
But the box was nice, right? That was a nice box.
Not gas and sales tax nice though. 
#41 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2324 posts) -

I just got a copy of Rainbow Six 3 for $2 from Amazon, free shipping. Meanwhile it's $10 on Steam.

I love Steam sales, but their regular prices aren't all that good. For older games you'll get better deals on physical copies.

#42 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Yes, I do! I like boxes!

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I love them boxes. i can't stand digital purchases 

@KaosAngel said:
Aside from Steam's occasional sales, they sell games at full price while other 'B-list' shops sell them for much less.. so how is Steam cheap exactly? i just pre-ordered BF3 limited edition for 50 bucks, including shipping. that's cheaper than what Steam will get me, and will be a free non-steam-whipped piece of software (Steam's software limitations, and having to have Steam on/working to be able to run the game.. ew) , and i'll have the box to jack off to. 

sounds like a better deal to me
#44 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Blizzard games are also sold on Battle.net for digital.. And warcraft 2 and 3 are sold on disk. Also to buy them off battle.net would be the same price as retail so it is just rather a choice to drive to get them or not. Also steam is a good choice for anyone who wants to play a game or 2 or 50 on pc as it has the mast majority of them all on it and usually sell for cheaper.

#45 Posted by Spoonman671 (4566 posts) -

Sometimes.  You can get a lot of retail copies through Amazon for cheaper than Steam sells them.  There are also some games that I would just like to have a boxed copy of, such as Civ 5 and Oblivion.

#46 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I buy boxed versions if I can because very simply:

They tend to actually be cheaper than digital (Witcher 2 is £25 boxed, £30 on Steam)
They aren't tied to an online account
I don't have to download my game, install from disc is much nicer
Digital limited editions are bammer!! Who the fuck wants a PDF of an artbook, or a PDF manual.
#47 Edited by uniform (1832 posts) -

I sure do. I most recently purchased a copy of "The Next Big Thing" after watching the Ryan and Vinny QL. I have a stack of eight PC games, all purchased within the last couple years. If one day they're phased out, making digital distribution the only way to obtain PC games, I'm sure I'll be one of the last to get on board.

#48 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

Stopped buying retail after The Orange Box and that's when I got introduced to Steam, never looked back since.

#49 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

I will buy the Collector's Editions of games I've very excited for. If they have the exact same content on a digital copy, then I'll stick with digital. But they usually have something that is exclusive the retail CE, so I buy those. 

Case in point:
  • Witcher 2 Collector's Edition
  • Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition
  • Starcraft 2 Collector's Edition
  • and so on.

Of course, I'll more often than not also buy the digital copy cause I like looking at my beefy steam library. 
#50 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The last game PC game that I purchased at a retail store was WoW. Steam is too awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.