Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Does the 360 headset work on PC?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sickVisionz

I know you can connect a 360 controller to a PC and have it work perfectly, but can you plug the headset into it and use that for voice chat for steam, skype, etc or do you need something specifically built for PCs?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yit

Actually, on Windows 7 (only OS I've tested on), if you plug a 360 controller into a USB port, and the headset into that controller, it will show up in the audio control panel. It will work like any other mic!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Yit said:
    " Actually, on Windows 7 (only OS I've tested on), if you plug a 360 controller into a USB port, and the headset into that controller, it will show up in the audio control panel. It will work like any other mic! "
    I never even thought about trying that LOL! Nice fun fact.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xMP44x

Unfortunately, the 360 headset will not work itself through the PC, as it uses a 2.5mm audio jack, and all PCs basically use 3.5mm. However, plugging a Wired 360 controller into the PC USB, and attaching a headset to the controller will work properly. A Plug and Play kit won't work for this for some reason. The PC recognises it as something else, but I don't recall what it recognises the device as.

@Yit said:

" Actually, on Windows 7 (only OS I've tested on), if you plug a 360 controller into a USB port, and the headset into that controller, it will show up in the audio control panel. It will work like any other mic! "
    It worked for me on Windows Vista as well. Admittedly I never tried it on XP, so if an XP user is up for trying this it'd be great.
    OldChili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By OldChili

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By demontium
    @sickVisionz said:
    " I know you can connect a 360 controller to a PC and have it work perfectly, but can you plug the headset into it and use that for voice chat for steam, skype, etc or do you need something specifically built for PCs? "
    Mine does. Win 7
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Yit said:
    I never even thought about trying that LOL! Nice fun fact. "
    Yeah that's really interesting and can save money for people.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman

I wonder if this would still word through a wireless controller paired with the wireless receiver. I'm guessing it would, but idk. 

@xMP44x said:

" ...A Plug and Play kit won't work for this for some reason. The PC recognises it as something else, but I don't recall what it recognises the device as. "  
    It's actually because the plug and play kit is only made to transmit power, not data that would be able to translate into commands. That was a bit of an oversight by Microsoft imo.
    Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Spoonybard37

Sweet baby Jesus my mind has been officially, BLOWN.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xMP44x
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I wonder if this would still word through a wireless controller paired with the wireless receiver. I'm guessing it would, but idk. 
    It's actually because the plug and play kit is only made to transmit power, not data that would be able to translate into commands. That was a bit of an oversight by Microsoft imo. "
    Oh, cool. I didn't know the exact description for that, so thank you. And yes, it's definitely something of an oversight. I imagine it would work through a Wireless Controller and Receiver pairing, because I seem to remember someone getting it to work with a PC and a Wireless Headset on YouTube. At least, I think it was a wireless headset.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.