Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Dual Monitor Issues

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By mscupcakes

I've been using two monitors for over a year now and most of my games don't seem to have a problem with that. Granted sometimes the resolution gets messed up on the second monitor or something minor like that, but nothing too bad. Lately I've noticed that the majority of GFWL games don't even start when I have my second monitor attached and only show a black screen. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make games run without having to unplug my monitor?

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By piropeople13

@mscupcakes: i have to ask.

do you have your latest graphics drivers?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mscupcakes

@piropeople13: I just installed the latest driver and now Microsoft Flight only opens in my second monitor, which I suppose isn't such a bad thing. But Red Faction Guerilla won't budge.. I'm starting to suspect it's a problem with Guerilla itself now, maybe someone should lock this thread so I can make one specifically for th game.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@mscupcakes: Oh, that's exactly the problem I was having, guess I'll have to double check my drivers!

Hrm... my drivers are up to date but I still get a black screen for Flight... Odd...

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Did you have your heart set on watching as movie on the second screne while playing the game? WHy not just cut your losses on a flawed free to play game and just turn off the second monitor in Windows?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mscupcakes

@ShadowSkill11: Microsoft Flight's Aerocaches require you to search using Bing (or google) to find clues as to where they are hidden in the world since they change daily. It's much easier to do so with a second monitor instead of alt tabbing between two windows on one.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By qawsed

How would you be able to use your cursor on the second monitor?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mscupcakes

A lot of games let you move your cursor between windows when paused.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PatchRowcester

I have been using a triple monitor setup for a long time, and I have not had a problem with GFWL games. I recently played Gears of War and Fallout 3. The monitors work, although when the game is running, I can;t use my cursor on the other monitor.

Can you tell us what kind of graphics card, and what version of drivers you are using?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @mscupcakes
    Yeah same here. No issues with GFWL games and multiple monitors. However with MS Flight in particular, my second monitor goes completely black instead of keeping my whatever was on it. This happens with no other game. 

I'm thinking your primary monitor got changed somehow. As @PatchRowcester said, we need to know that videocard you're using, etc.

MS Flight is not a multimonitor friendly game, at least in fullscreen mode. Perhaps once you get it showing up, you might be able to get it to run in a maximized window while keeping a browser in another monitor.

edit: Yes windowed mode allows things to appear on non primary monitors.
    TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TyCobb

Are your monitors running the same resolution? In game, are you running the same resolution as you do when just sitting at the desktop?

These matter. I can use my secondary monitor IF the game is running the same resolution. This makes it quite difficult when playing older games that never supported widescreen.

mkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if the game Microsoft Flight, runs on the wrong screen the solution is as follows, go to the in game setting > graphics, unmark the fullscreen mark, and accept. The game goes into windowed mode, now you can drag it to the correct screen, and then reapply the fullscreen setting, this will make it run on the screen you want in fullscreen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.