Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Dumb Question, Window A/C On Same Circuit as my PC...

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I only have 3 plugs in the room with my PC, there all on the same 15A circuit so everything is on the same damn breaker, i eventually do plan to run myself another outlet on a separate circuit as i need more outlets anyways, but i am curious if anyone here knows weather or not it would hurt my PC at all having a small 6000BTU window air conditioner running at the same time im gaming on my pc which is pretty power hungry in its own right with a 780ti and a 5820k. Its not kicking the breaker or anything, so i know im not over drawing on it, just wondering if theres any possibility of it screwing with my PC when the compressor is drawing lots of power. Dont want to fuck anything up is all. Thanks

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By maginnovision

I would get an ammeter and check. If nothing else you can check what the ratings for your power supply and a/c are, they should both have amperage ratings for normal usage. With your setup I would assume you're only pulling about 3-4 amps for your PC, and maybe 10(probably 5-7a normally) max for the a/c(If both the compressor and blower were attempting startup at the same time. Electric motors require more amperage to start than run.) Check the ratings, or use an ammeter though. I'd bet you have plenty of power to spare and it's fairly unlikely anything is going to go wrong due to your setup.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

Is your computer plugged into a surge protector? If not, you should have your PC plugged into one of those whenever possible. If yes, then your PC is good; actually, your PC is probably good without a SP because Mainboards usually have surge protection built in.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I might look into a surge protector for the PC. If the A/C does short out the breaker, your PC should be safe.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, i have a surge protector, and if i get a chance i'll check the amps this weekend. I figured it was fine, just was semi-nervous something might go wrong. Thanks guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.