Entry-Level Mechanical Keyboard?

#1 Posted by Dacnomaniac (440 posts) -

Got my new rig about a month ago, and have £60 to spare for a keyboard. Can anyone suggest some entry-level mechanical ones?

#2 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

das keyboard with the cherry brown switches? still kind of spendy. I tried one and it was nice. I don't know, maybe find an ibm model M at an auction or something.

#3 Posted by Andorski (5191 posts) -

A mechanical keyboard with MX Cherry Browns are good for those who aren't sure what MX Cherry switches they want. They are a good halfway point between Reds and Blues. At £60 you will probably have to stick with Tenkeyless keyboards (without the numpad). Check out Cooler Master Storm series of keyboards - they are cheaper than the other popular mechanical keyboard brands and are of decent build quality.

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

Can you use monoprice in your parts? They're selling two of their own brand mechanical keyboards for around your budget.

#5 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@andorski said:

A mechanical keyboard with MX Cherry Browns are good for those who aren't sure what MX Cherry switches they want. They are a good halfway point between Reds and Blues. At £60 you will probably have to stick with Tenkeyless keyboards (without the numpad). Check out Cooler Master Storm series of keyboards - they are cheaper than the other popular mechanical keyboard brands and are of decent build quality.

I second the CM Storm suggestion, I use one with brown switches and it really solid for both gaming and writing. In terms of build quality, I spilled a drink on it, ran it through the dishwasher, and it is like nothing ever happened. I have this exact one, for the record.

#6 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

I use a SeelSeries 6G V2 for both work and vidjagames. I got mine for around £60, but they seem to have crept up in price, may want to shop around.

It uses black switches, which people seem to hate for typing as they're a little heavier and have no actuation feedback, but I've found them much more enjoyable than both blue and brown. Probably because I don't really like pressing the keys properly... For reference I've used a Razer Black Widow (blue) and a standard Cherry (brown) keyboard for around a year each.

STRONGLY suggest trying all types of switch before committing to one though, as you'll likely be using a mechanical keyboard for a while.

#7 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

I got a corsair k70 not that long ago, that might not be entry level one but i definitely recommend it !

#8 Posted by TIEfighter77 (80 posts) -

I really love my Razer Blackwidow. Its not exactly cheap but it is built quite well.

#9 Posted by KingGiddra (212 posts) -

Coolermaster has a nice line of mechanicals with a variety of switches to try, though they're all tenkeyless. I ended up getting Greens (stiff blues) and love the feel so far. The only thing I will say is never get tenkeyless if you can help it. You don't notice how much the numpad helps until you don't have it.

Before this one I had a Zowie Celeritas (Browns). It was quite nice, but the switches ended up with a lot of key stutter after about a year of use (pressing "d" once would give you "dd" for example).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.