Exclusive: Windows 8 "Windows Experience Index" Now an 9.9 Scale

#1 Posted by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

With the release of Windows 8, Microsoft has drastically changed the Windows Experience Index from a 7.9 scale to a 9.9 scale. The "WEI" as I like to call it goes through a complex analysis of your PC's components to rate how awesome or shitty your machine is. Your lowest sub-score is your base score and you must do everything in your power to increase this score to please the all mighty "PC GODS" for we are the "Master Race."

With this new advanced system does this entice you to install Windows 8? For Windows 7 users does this infuriate you because you can not access the new WEI system?

All kidding aside I remember Jeff and Ryan talking on the bombcast about their WEI numbers on windows 7 and how dumb it was how the score was out of 7.9 and well it looks like they have changed it up. I thought someone made a youtube clip out of that conversation but with a quick google search i couldn't find it, post it if you know where its at!

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15156 posts) -

It really is a dumb number to stop at. We need Jeff's input on this late breaking revelation

#3 Posted by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Well they needed to stop at 9.9 so the next version of windows can have a scale of 10, now that is going to be the day.

#4 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

WHAT.

#5 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

10 isn't possible in Win8. Wait for Win9.

#6 Posted by Giantstalker (1728 posts) -

The old Windows experience index was literally perfect. How do you improve upon perfection?

#7 Posted by Duff_McWhalen (23 posts) -

Time to upgrade.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

It'll be 13.4 or some other random, nonsense number. No normal, ordinary numbers allowed!

#9 Posted by ez123 (1997 posts) -

It still starts at 1 though. Will wait for Windows 9 for it to be 0.1 to 9.9.

That is the one and only legitimate scale.

#10 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Windows 8 gives you the tools needed to measure your true penis length.

Upgrade today.

#11 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

I'm still waiting for them to add the "Reviewer's Tilt" sub-score.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

Argh, because of my old ass hard drive I only get a 5,9! God damit, whats a good 9.9 hard drive? Need to upgrade as soon as possible!

#13 Posted by Animasta (14725 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Funkydupe said:

It'll be 13.4 or some other random, nonsense number. No normal, ordinary numbers allowed!

ordinary numbers are for apple lovers

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This is so stupid.

I love it.

#15 Posted by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

@Animasta: and the letters S and i , they really love that S - i combo.

#16 Posted by Snail (8662 posts) -

Isn't it supposed to be ever increasing? Pretty sure that's why it's sort of a weird scale.

#17 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5090 posts) -

You can't beat 9.9!

#18 Posted by psoplayer (241 posts) -

@Snail said:

Isn't it supposed to be ever increasing? Pretty sure that's why it's sort of a weird scale.

Yes. They introduced the rating with Vista, and it maxed out at 5.9 at that point. Windows 7 bumped the max up to 7.9.

And now Windows 8 bumps it up again to 9.9. As long as you're on board from the start I guess it makes sense?

#19 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

When will these go to eleven?

#20 Posted by Binman88 (3691 posts) -

Should've been an 8.8 scale am I right guys.

#21 Posted by Jeff (3670 posts) -

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*goes to newegg*

Staff
#22 Posted by AlexW00d (6444 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

Argh, because of my old ass hard drive I only get a 5.9! God damit, whats a good 9.9 hard drive? Need to upgrade as soon as possible!

Probably this.

#23 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

The old Windows experience index was literally perfect. How do you improve upon perfection?

You improve upon this supposed "perfection" by not having an arbitrary number be indicative of quality of your pc, that's how.

Seriously, where is my DGI? Every technology since the dawn of 21st century has been judged by how equivalent is it to X number of duct-taped gamecubes. I want to know whether my PC is 8 DGI or 12 DGI, not some 5.9 or 6.4 as judged by THE MAN.

Every sensible person is on Duct-tape GameCube Index already. MS needs make this switch on W8 ASAP unless they want W8 to be the next Vista.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

OH FUCK. GAME CHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Posted by nasseh (83 posts) -

This changes everything. Everything.

#26 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Maybe now we can stop hearing negative talk about Windows 8. It even has DXDIAG.

I can't believe my SSD and processor are tied for the lowest rated components in my PC.

#27 Posted by L1GHTN1N (546 posts) -

I got excited when I saw my WEI was .1 higher than yours, before being incredibly depressed that I got excited that my WEI is .1 higher than yours. Also making it 9.9 instead of 8.9 is a huge mistake I hope they rectify soon.

#28 Posted by Fattony12000 (7568 posts) -

This is the worst WEI in the whole trilogy.

#29 Edited by bigsmoke77 (791 posts) -

@Jeff: Ryan said on twitter he went back to Windows 7 aka the inferior 7.9 scale so you should totally go out of your way to get a higher score than his new $1500 machine.

@L1GHTN1N: What you got for a CPU? I got a i5 2500K, it works pretty good but wish I could snap my fingers and have a i5 3570K or better.

#30 Posted by L1GHTN1N (546 posts) -
@bigsmoke77: I have an i7 2600K which is a 7.9, 12GB RAM which is 7.9, and a OCZ 60GB SSD which is a 7.9. Only thing holding me back is my graphics card, a GTX 560TI which is a 7.7.
#31 Posted by Ben_H (3439 posts) -

I wonder how bad my HDD is on the new system. On the old one it was a 5.9, while everything else was way higher. I plan to get an SSD and a new processor soon anyway and possibly put Windows 8 on, just because I need a new OS since my copy of Windows 7 is linked to the computer I am giving my dad.

#32 Posted by WEB_War4 (110 posts) -

More games need to use the score, as it gives a general idea of your computer's capabilities. Or something. POINTS!

#33 Posted by Sachinprasanakumar (1 posts) -

A combination with i3-2350,nvidia GEFORCE,win8,2gb ram, low desktop graphics why ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.