Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

fallout 1 and 2 question

xnoxiousx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xnoxiousx

Should i get 1 or 2 first?

Also will it work on windows 7 from this site if i buy it

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had the first one and it worked on 7. I never made it past the first fight, after like 8 tries I uninstalled the game. Everyone seems to like 2 the best anyway.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Undeadpool

They're definitely worth looking into, but be warned: they are fundamentally different games from Fallout 3. The perspective is isometric and the combat is purely turn-based. The game is also MAD glitchy and doesn't auto-save, so save often (I once lost 2 hours of gameplay because the game quit to desktop for no reason and I had completely forgotten to save for two hours). Apart from that: the character interactions are interesting, the party is way more useful and 2 is a much better game than 1, but 1 is still worth the playthrough. It's one of the only RPGs I've ever played where you literally can beat the game without attacking (though it requires a VERY specific play style that I wouldn't recommend for your first time). Sadly I have no idea if it'll work on a modern system, but it SHOULD. Hope that helped.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

I tried running 1 on windows 7. It worked, but not well. Sound was messed up.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

1 does not work on vista 64 bit, or at least I cant figure out how to make it work

clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clock

Here's a helpful site if you decide to get #2
     http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55555&start=0
    Haven't used it myself yet but it's supposed to fix most of the bugs and also adds back in content the was cut before the game was released from what I recall.

Also from what I can recall both will work on win7 with a bit of messing around. It'd be best to ask the people at the site I linked for help.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

I prefer F2 myself in terms of overall game design and locations/characters/options.
    But one must really start with F1 in my opinion to know what it is all about from the start, know the original experience etc...
    If you play F2 first and then play the first one then it will be a diminished experience, but if you play F1 first and then F2 then it will be an enriched experience.
    At least that's my 2c.

nirokogaseru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nirokogaseru

Fallout 2 is definitely the better game, but 1 is certainly worth playing.  Hope it works on 7!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

I say just get 1 first and play 2 after. They are both great games. I bet the steam versions would work on 7, except they are twice as much.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

Okay, people saying they had problems need to be specific about where they got the game. Most GOG.com games are updated to run on modern systems. 

Their forum on Fallout 1&2 is here:  http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_mods and I'm not seeing anyone with major problems. Also check out the Fallout 1 mods thread for an awesome screen resolution mod.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chummy8

Gog.com is usually really good about getting games to play on modern systems.  I just got divine divinity from there and it works great.  Any pre-Fallout 3 game is a great buy. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august
    @hematurge said:
    " I had the first one and it worked on 7. I never made it past the first fight, after like 8 tries I uninstalled the game. Everyone seems to like 2 the best anyway. "
    You seriously had a problem with the rats outside he cave? Uh. Yeah. 

The combat isn't any easier (or different) in Fallout 2, either. So he shouldn't skip 1 for that reason.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

Oh yeah, I forgot about Temple of Trials where you start of in Fallout 2, that place is no slouch and might be quite brutal to somebody who is completely new to the game. Fallout 1 is relatively easier at the start compared to that. :)

Avatar image for lonely_misanthrope
    Lonely_Misanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you plan on playing both then go in order.  F1's gameplay is fine but if you head into it after already becoming familiar with the improvements they made for F2 then the differences could easily become annoying.  You may also want to play F1 first if things like character medium awareness and breaking the forth wall will effect how you view the games since it happens a lot in F2.   Other than that it doesn't really make any difference which you play first, F2 takes place eighty years after F1 and has almost nothing to do with the original plot.  While part of the fun of F2 is seeing how locations in F1 have changed it'd probably be just as rewarding going into F1 in order to see how those locations used to be nearly a century ago.  

Since the minimum system requirements for that version of the game is Windows Vista I'd think that Win7 should be fine.  Probably.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chummy8
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " Oh yeah, I forgot about Temple of Trials where you start of in Fallout 2, that place is no slouch and might be quite brutal to somebody who is completely new to the game. Fallout 1 is relatively easier at the start compared to that. :) "
    I never got the problem with the Temple of Trials.  Back when the game came out I played Fallout 2 all the time and never once had a problem getting out of the Temple.  Where are people having a problem?
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mosdl

Visit gog.com's forums for the Fallout series, I bet you can ask there if windows 7 works for the games (or search for windows 7)

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@august:  No the rats were no trouble, I guess maybe it was a random encounter. A few raiders or something like that, they had guns.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @TekZero: 
    I personally never had problems with it, but I can see how it can be problematic for people new to the series who don't know the system.
    Especially considering the console generation.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jim_dandy

Start with 1, move on to 2.

Stick with it even when it's a bit slow, and you'll enjoy the fuck out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.