Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Fell in love with steam, need to buy/ build a pc now to run it.

Sillybigwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sillybigwillie

I have just recently begun to dive into the money pit that is steam. After listening to bombcast after bombcast and the many accolades from vinny, I started looking into it and I have purchased roughly 30 games, only about 10 of which are actually playable on my work laptop. When it comes down to it, the value is ridiculous So this brings me to my problem. I don't know how to build a pc, but I'm willing to try, or just buy a desktop pc that can play a good range of current pc games that won't break my budget. I want to stay around $500 price range but i am realistic and will spend a little more if it means securing much better performance and a longer lifetime. I know this is common question and one of the most subjective ones I could ask, but i'm looking for a place to start or at least some leads. Thank you for any help in advance.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bishna

What games are on that list of games that you can't run yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's been a while since I built mine so I'm not all up on more recent tech, but if you go to the public wishlists on newegg and just search for a price you can find some nice things to start from.

Manekineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Manekineko

You should take a look at http://www.logicalincrements.com/ . It's an easy way to get a first look at a system around your price range.

Always remember to research each hardware component. Look for deals from different sites. Sometimes better alternatives are on a sale somewhere on the internets.

Also quite interesting to look at is http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html. These give you a more in depth reasoning behind some of the rankings and I highly advise you to look at those too.

The building part is quite easy. It's like lego for adults. Most of the time the connector ar even colour coded.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

People interested in building should seriously take a look at this thread.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jrinswand

I have found that $750-800 is the sweet spot for building a PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.