FIFA 2012 or PES 2012?

#1 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Which one should I get. I have never played a soccer video game before and want to check one out. I will be playing on PC with a 360 controller. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by johnbon (92 posts) -

Fifa probably...PES hasn't been good for a few years now.

Online
#3 Edited by Soap (3592 posts) -

I think you should just wait for Fifa 13 in like... two months now?

EDIT: Unless of course your getting it super cheap or something

#4 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

If you're playing it online, I would purchase a console version of FIFA to be honest. Stronger community on console. FIFA also takes a workhorse of a PC to get working well believe it or not.

PES has not been good since around the mid 00's - so just forget all about that franchise...

#5 Posted by johnbon (92 posts) -

What happened to PES...it used to be far superior...I think the last good one was PES 6. I think that was a 360 launch title...or close to it. I remember that game being so good.

Online
#6 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

PES hasn't been any good in years and FIFA 10 absolutely crushed it. Stick with FIFA now cause I very much doubt PES will handle the transition to the new consoles well at all.

#7 Posted by L44 (561 posts) -

FIFA is pretty superior now, and PES has bugger all licenced teams.

#8 Edited by D0tti (786 posts) -

On PC, PES is better I think, it has better "mod"-community. Alot off sites have there own patches and fixes for the PES PC version. At least 2011 had plenty off patches and fixes.

#9 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

@Benny: PES is still struggling to handle the transition from the PS2 to current gen - nevermind the new consoles in production lol

#10 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

For simulation is FIFA, for arcade gameplay is PES. FIFA for PC has some mods but nothing compared to PES, which is why I play more of PES.

#11 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

@Soap said:

I think you should just wait for Fifa 13 in like... two months now?

EDIT: Unless of course your getting it super cheap or something

I have found both online for about 25.00 so not super cheap but cheap enough for me to buy it just to check it out.

@JerichoBlyth said:

If you're playing it online, I would purchase a console version of FIFA to be honest. Stronger community on console. FIFA also takes a workhorse of a PC to get working well believe it or not.

PES has not been good since around the mid 00's - so just forget all about that franchise...

Playing online is not that important to me plus I don't own a console. I think my PC can handle pretty much any game at this point. Might go with FIFA because it sounds like people have nothing nice to say about PES.

#12 Posted by wilsouk (40 posts) -

As someone obsessed with football and 10+ years of playing football games, definitely FIFA by a mile. And I was PES all the way up until 2 years ago.

#13 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like PES might be better for my situation. I like a more arcade type game over a sim and I am playing on PC.

#14 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Now I know nothing about football or there games, but you can pick up the 2010 versions of these for like £1 and I think the 2011 versions for about the same, they can't be that much better right?

#15 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Now I know nothing about football or there games, but you can pick up the 2010 versions of these for like £1 and I think the 2011 versions for about the same, they can't be that much better right?

Fifa 12 is very different to both 11 and 10.

#16 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

@Hizang said:

Now I know nothing about football or there games, but you can pick up the 2010 versions of these for like £1 and I think the 2011 versions for about the same, they can't be that much better right?

Fifa 12 is very different to both 11 and 10.

True, but if you're new to the genre, maybe start with a cheaper, older title and see if you like it. FIFA 10 is well-loved.

#17 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@SuperSambo: So the new one will be like £50 when it comes out, where as last years model is about £2, so are you telling me there are £48 worth of differences that make it totally worth it?

#18 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@SuperSambo: So the new one will be like £50 when it comes out, where as last years model is about £2, so are you telling me there are £48 worth of differences that make it totally worth it?

He is saying Fifa 12, which is around £20-£25. I think the price difference is worth it. Active online which has been much expanded, learning how the new defence works, better single player seasons, updated stats and players etc etc.

And you need to shop around if you are buying new releases for £50...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.