Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Finalising a PC build

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mrflibble  Online

I'm hoping to build a PC myself and think I've decided what components to go with but would like a second opinion.

I'm trying to save money in a few spots and planning on upgrading later, mainly adding a SSD. I am also wondering if it's worth spending extra on a I7-2600K or getting a http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-DirectCU-Graphics-DisplayPort/dp/B0096EXIQ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354780871&sr=1-2

I haven't built a PC before so any tips would be appreciated, my may concern is what surface to build my PC on, I'm probably worrying to much but I've heard static can be a problem.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By OldGuy

In general there are so few games that are processor bound that it is almost always better to put your money into the graphics side of the house rather than the processor... (IMvHO)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous
    @MrFlibble said:
    I haven't built a PC before so any tips would be appreciated, my may concern is what surface to build my PC on, I'm probably worrying to much but I've heard static can be a problem.
    Just touch a piece of metal (like your case, which will probably be metal) every few minutes and you'll be fine. Also, if you're on carpet, don't wear socks.
    pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pandorasbox

Look bro, i'm just going to be honest; i'm not clicking all those fucking links. If you want serious help, list the specs of the build, and don't expect me to open 20 tabs to figure that shit out.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zelyre

You're going to get a packet of thermal paste with the heatsink. When you apply it, less is more. Too much and you end up trapping heat. I apply a bead a little bigger than a grain of rice and spread it with a plastic card so that it's a very thin layer. Don't torque screws down. You don't want to crack or flex the PCB. Don't put all the metal standoffs in the case before trying to mount your motherboard. If you put a standoff in each hole, chances are they won't match up with the board and you'll short the motherboard. Count out the holes on the motherboard. Then put the stand offs in the board. If your board has 8 holes, you'll put in 8 metal standoffs. Put the board in the case and make sure the standoffs line up with the holes.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WasabiCurry

Seems to me that you got a pretty solid gaming rig~

As OldGuy stated, there are very few games that used multicore to their advantage. I could only think that Battlefield 3 (maybe Witcher 2, but I don't know for sure) can use more than 2 cores. Maybe next year games will start using more than 2 cores at a time, but that is more of "looking into the crystal ball" than anything else~

Also, here are some videos to use as a reference when applying thermal pasting~

And

Tek is a good guy (though he can be off the rocker at times), but the dude makes some good guides~

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By tmthomsen

@ajamafalous said:

@MrFlibble said:
    Just touch a piece of metal (like your case, which will probably be metal) every few minutes and you'll be fine. Also, if you're on carpet, don't wear socks.

Just don't clean it with a vacuum cleaner. Mine wouldn't start for several hours after I did that :P

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeJerk

I say that processor is a good investment that will last many years, you should consider at least a small SSD to put games on, and get 16 gigs of RAM because it's dirt cheap and a very good idea with DDR4 rolling out for consumers in 2014.

Alexzont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alexzont

Make sure you get a fully licensed version of Windows 8, not just an upgrade version. Also you probably don't need such a big PSU, 500 watts should be plenty.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By djou

I just built my PC and didn't use an anti-static bracelet. I assembled most of it on top of the anti-static bag and box the motherboard came with.

As pointed out you have the wrong version of Windows (unless you plan to install Windows 7 first and upgrade). You need the Windows 8 OEM Systems Builders edition.

I followed the Tested video where they built Jeff's PC. The only thing I did differently was organize my cables better, threading them through the non-viewable side of my PC case. I also installed my HDD directly in the path of a fan, something referred to in the video, but not shown.

My build was similar to yours, I would recommend against the i7 seems like overkill and not many games need it. I'm playing FC3 on max settings and its runs great with an i5 3750, its also easy to upgrade a CPU. If you can upgrade something go for an SSD and make that the boot drive. It will be cumbersome to upgrade later since you need to relocate the OS. There's a good deal right now for the Samsung 840 256GB that includes a copy of AC3. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897035-REG/Samsung_MZ_7TD250BW_250GB_840_Series_2_5_.html

On the software side, I used http://ninite.com/ which helped aggregate all the programs I wanted to install into one zip file. And the Neogaf PC thread was very helpful.

If you want to save money maybe consider a cheaper case. I used a BitFenix Shinobi (~US$50). Its simply designed but quiet which is what I wanted. I also used the stock cooler, been working fine since I don't have plans to overclock soon.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bell_End

i built mine on a small table i have. could of done with a lot more room but it was ok in the end.

i got a i7 2600k, ASUS GTX570, 8GB Cousair RAM and the fasted HD i could at the time.

i was quite concerded about mounting my i7 2600k on to the ASUS mobo but its was a breeze and was not hard at all.

the only bit i struggled with was the coolmaster heatsink i got. the bracket was very fiddly. but the fractel designs R3 case i got has a section cut out under the mobo for this very reason and made it much easier that it could of been.

been over a year now and still running like a dream

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

i spend quite abit on my fans, i wanted it to be a quiet as possible and read the noctua fans are concidered the quietest availble. The fractal designs case also has a specail coating inside to cut the noise down also. so it really is whisper quite.

No Caption Provided

cost me the best part of £1000 in the end.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrflibble  Online

Thanks for the tips, didn't notice I had the wrong version of windows 8 listed.

@pandorasbox: Unfortunately I was in a hurry when I made that post, looking at it now there was probably a better way of showing my build.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrflibble  Online

I've put my PC together but am having trouble getting it to start in BIOS. The PC starts and all the fans, case lights, and keyboard work fine but I don't get an image the PC just beeps once. I've tried putting the disc that came with the motherboard in but I still don't get an image. I've only got an HDMI cable and a TV at the moment I was hoping wouldn't need to get a proper monitor is it possible it's just the resolution of the TV causing problems?

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By bishna

@MrFlibble: Man that sucks, I know that feel. When I built my PC in the summer I ran into some hiccups.

First suggestion, make sure your tv is set to the right input.

If that isn't the problem, I am curious if you are plugging the hdmi into your motherboard or your gpu?

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrflibble  Online

@Bishna: I'm plugging the HDMI into the motherboard.

I really hope I just need to get a proper monitor, at the last minute I changed to a cheaper case and PSU so I could get everything the next day on Amazon prime but half way through the build I really regretted that decision. I think it turned out okay considering I had problems lining up screws, the PSU only has three of the four screws in.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bishna

Hmm, I really doubt it is the fact that you are not using a proper monitor, It shouldn't really matter. Have you double checked all of the power connection inside the system? Its possible your CPU isn't getting power.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Andorski

Do you have to GPU already plugged in? If so, try removing it and then booting up your PC.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By envane

plug the hdmi into the gpu ?

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrflibble  Online

Plugging the HDMI cable into the GPU got me a picture and I've got the BIOS working.

Should I be worried that the HDMI port on my motherboard is broken?

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bishna

@MrFlibble: After you get everything up and running, as well as all of your drivers up to date, try it then. If it is still a problem, call the costumer support for your motherboard, they will help you decide if RMAing it is the best option.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrflibble  Online

Success! I'm making this post from my new PC, thanks for all the help.

Building my own PC has convinced me that I never want to do it again, it was really stressful I'm really surprised I didn't break anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.