First time building a PC (~£800), any build advice is welcome.

#1 Edited by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

My PS3 broke a couple of months ago and I'm building a gaming PC to replace it. Having never done this before, I've read plenty about the building process and parts to the point that I'm fairly sure the parts I've picked are OK and will go together.

Having said that, there are plenty of people out there who know far more than I do and can hopefully point out any stupid mistakes I've made in picking out parts.

And is this the right version of windows to buy to install it onto a new build?

My main worries are making sure the case will fit everything and that everything is compatible as I really don't know how to tell that. Are all these parts of a decent quality? Most seem to have reviewed OK but maybe people have had bad experiences with them or they have I bad reputation I don't know about.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

#2 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Looks like a solid build for sure, can't really think of any way to make it better in any really important ways without adjusting the budget. No issues as far as I can tell.

#3 Edited by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Nailed it.

Get ready to laugh at the new consoles when they come out. Although, I would say get a modular power supply. Like really. When you start shoving everything in that case, you're gonna instantly regret having a bunch of nasty cables at the bottom in a jumbled mess....trust me.

#4 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Do you have any recommendations, I get how they could be useful but it didn't seem worth the extra cost for no increase in performance.

@MordeaniisChaos: I can stretch to £900 or £950 at a push if it'll really benefit in the long run but I figured it would be better to save a bit for upgrades come the next console generation if it's needed.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man: Yeah, a seasonic modular power supply that's around 600 watts.

You're like in europe, but these should be the same one, or close enough.

I'd say peace of mind when it comes to your airflow is worth an upgrade. After I spent like 5 hours trying to build mine, having it end with me trying to wrestle and ziptie all these useless cables was goddamn anti-climatic. If I wasn't so lazy I'd open the side of my case and upload my shame that I think about every time I look at my tower.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

Nailed it.

Get ready to laugh at the new consoles when they come out. Although, I would say get a modular power supply. Like really. When you start shoving everything in that case, you're gonna instantly regret having a bunch of nasty cables at the bottom in a jumbled mess....trust me.

His case has a space to route those cables, it won't be that bad. Modular needs to be significantly higher quality to alleviate some of the downsides of the molecularity anyway. It's not at all essential. I'd rather put that money into a CPU cooler or better fans for the case.

#7 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

Is the Radeon 7950 HD I picked a better option than the GTX 660ti? It was only £10 more and seemed to perform better or as well in benchmarks so it seemed like a solid option.

#8 Posted by JohnLocke (257 posts) -

I would look at a Blu Ray optical drive perhaps over a DVD one (such as a Blu Ray writer, it will be a tad more expensive but may be worth it in the long run if you have Blu Ray films to watch etc).

However, that looks like a nice build. What games are you looking to run on there? (It may be worth checking out the current Steam sales as well to get a game or two to run on your system to give it a stretch whilst the games are cheap).

#9 Edited by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

@JohnLocke: I got about £90 of Steam vouchers when I traded in my PS3 games, they are already gone. Steam sales are the best.

I don't own many Blu Rays so I'm not too bothered about that.

#10 Posted by JohnLocke (257 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man said:

@JohnLocke: I got about £90 of Steam vouchers when I traded in my PS3 games, they are already gone. Steam sales are the best.

I don't own many Blu Rays so I'm not too bothered about that.

Ah very nice. What have you picked up (or so far) with them?

#11 Posted by Bollard (5597 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man said:

Is the Radeon 7950 HD I picked a better option than the GTX 660ti? It was only £10 more and seemed to perform better or as well in benchmarks so it seemed like a solid option.

I believe so yes. If you could stretch to a 670 I would say no, or it might be a cheaper jump to go to the 7970, but overall your build looks real nice for the price. Will beat next gen consoles all day.

#12 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

@JohnLocke: Assassins Creed and Far Cry 3, neither were on sale but I'm too in love with both franchises to wait until the next sale and I (stupidly and mistakenly) assumed they wouldn't be on sale this year. Borderlands 2, The Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3 I got on decent sales. I hardly bought any games this year saving up for a PC so these should make up for that. I'll have loads of free time in February as well... my backlog shall be attacked with a vengeance!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.