Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

First Time Building PC: Windows OS What to pick

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm getting all of my parts together to build my first ever computer. I was just wondering which Windows OS is considered the best at the moment? I keep hearing things about display settings getting messed up and stuff getting deleted with Windows 10 and wondering if I should just get 7 or 8 until 10's problems have been ironed out more? I'm very new to the PC world so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!!

Sorry if I sound like I don't know much (I don't, I just really want to play MGSV).

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Windows 10 is the ironed out version of 7 and 8

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been using Windows 10 since it was first released and it has been great. I skipped 8, and I'm really impressed with the OS. I haven't run into any problems running games. I'd just recommend getting a cheap license for Windows 7 and then doing the upgrade to 10.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Only crazy people build a PC and install an old operating system.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get 8. It's trash.

Get either Windows 10, or Windows 7 provided you can find it for cheap enough and it still qualifies for the free W10 upgrade. Windows 10 has generally been very smooth for me, just remember to turn off all the data collecting settings.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@turtlebird95 said:

Don't get 8. It's trash.

What is trash about Windows 8, exactly? Specifically 8.1 which people should have been using for a long time at this point. If your problem is with the Start Menu, Classic Shell solves that and is a 30 second (and free) fix.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Valhallen

Awesome! 10 it is! Thank you everyone!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @turtlebird95 said:

Don't get 8. It's trash.

What is trash about Windows 8, exactly? Specifically 8.1 which people should have been using for a long time at this point. If your problem is with the Start Menu, Classic Shell solves that and is a 30 second (and free) fix.

I was referring to 8, not 8.1. I didn't even realize 8.1 was a free upgrade. I have 8 on a laptop and I'm not kidding when I say it's one of the worst operating systems I've ever used.

I still don't really see why one would buy it over 7 or 10 though. Windows 7 keys can be bought for next to nothing and you get a free upgrade to 10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.