Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

G-Sync causing low frame rate

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So duders, I recently purchased a G-Sync monitor (this one to be exact), and like what I see so far, except for one issue. I know g-sync recently added support for games in windowed mode, but this has been super wonky for me. Games run at like ~20fps when in focus, but run at their "normal" framerate (100+ or whatever I can run it at with my rig) when another program has focus. I have tested it with multiple games so I know it is not a game issue. Also, launching whatever game without g-sync on leads said game running just fine.

I have tried all the "usual" fixes (reboot, driver reinstall, etc) and while they work temporarily, the issues still come back. Anyone else have a g-sync display and run into these issues? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have the same monitor as you, mine is fine but it must be late cause i have nno clue what you are getting at?. what is focus.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

what is focus.

Focus refers to which window is currently active when there isn't a program running in full screen.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

Well i don't have a gsync and don't know that much about them, but are you trying it in windowed mode? If so maybe that is the problem? Is the monitor brand new or is it acting up after the update? If so it could just be defective. Possibly an issue with dual monitors if your not running full screen? Just some suggestions since i don't have one and never used one before.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I don't have it but it sounds unnecessary to me. Are you even getting screen tearing in windowed games? Just max out the desktop refresh rate and disable windowed g-sync if it's giving you problems.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting:In games like MMOs (GW2 is one of the games where I am having issues) the frame rate is constantly fluctuating due to number of other players on screen, effects due to those players, etc. So yeah, it helps.

As for @oursin_360, yes I have it in windowed mode, but I also have "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode" checked, so at the very least it matches. I thought it might a weird dual monitor thing as well, but I talked to a buddy who has a (different) g-sync display and he is not having issues. Also, I don't think the monitor is defective as I am *pretty* sure this is a software issue somewhere that I am just not catching.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike

@shinboy630: Guild Wars 2 is severely CPU dependent. A good overclocked helped my frame rates in that game a great deal. You may want to try that if your PC is set up for CPU overclocking. Going from 4.0 to 4.6 Ghz gave me a good 12-15 FPS increase.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Well the issue isn't really overall performance (by fluctuating I mean going from 70-120fps and back again). It is more that with the issue I described in the OP it runs at like 20fps, then when I alt-tab to something else it runs at ~100 or whatever like normal, going back to 20 when the game has focus again. It is really odd.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630: Yeah I'm sure it's a problem with the way G-Sync handles windowed mode. I have an ROG Swift and I still have problems with windowed and borderless fullscreen modes in some games, even after the GeFroce driver update that supposedly addressed those issues. I normally just make those full screen and the problem goes away.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666

Which version of the video card drivers are you using?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nezroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I have the same issue with an Acer XB270HU and GTX680. Fullscreen G-SYNC, no problem. Windowed mode G-SYNC works fine if the game is in background; but foreground the game and it goes to crap. Pretty sure it is related to the windows compositing framework and a refresh rate lock somewhere. I had fixed this for a while by forcing my Windows desktop refresh rate to 120Hz, which meant the windowed mode + game + compositing framework would scale down to the game's best rate rather than the desktop locking things at 20Hz. However, since updating to the 355.60 drivers, the problem has resurfaced and forcing the desktop refresh rate to 120Hz is no longer working.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has this issue been resolved? Seeing this thread again i got an idea, maybe it's windows aero having a conflict? I know when i play games in windowed mode Aero has it's on Vsync (i use it to get decent frames in arkham knight). Maybe try disabling that and see what happens?

Risby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having this problem asweel with the latest Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and GTX 1080 in Windowed mode. Worked flawless first few weeks but now not even with beta-drivers, clean install of drivers etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.