Game sugestions for Coop with girlfriend/partner

#1 Posted by Cousken (30 posts) -

Hello!

I have been desperatley searching for games me and my girlfriend can play in coop. She loves fantasy RPGs but isn't that much into the combat aspect, she loves them for the story and would not mind having the combats beeing cutscenes. I will start on the list with some short descirptions of how the attempts went in hope that people will continue :) What we have tried so far:

World of Warcraft, Rift, The Old Republic

I'm making one post for the three of them because from our perspective they are pretty much the same. Our favorite so far have been Rift for the gameplay and TOR for the story, we played much more TOR and are still playing. Tor we like because the both of us can have actual characters with personality and dialogue choices (which is pretty much a must for us) unlike the other two where you are just an avatar. One of our greates moments in gaming happened here, only once, where my character actually spoke to hers. We want more stuff like this! However the usual issues with MMO stories like beeing the only one who can save the galaxy... with thousands others on the same quest still persist. We play this pretty much like a single player game, if the server would be empty besides the two of us and our friend we play with, we would not mind much, actually might be an improvement. I think that Tor is the game what has worked best so far for us even with all it's issues.

Fable III

It was a nice experiance for me but not so much for her, untill we changed and she played the main character. The biggest issue with Fable as most RPG coop games is that the other player dissapears as soon as some story element is played out, in this case quite literary. So what this is is a RPG game which you play alone and your partner can join in on the combat, which was very frustrating for her and basicaly pointless unless she played the main character. I didn't mind just tagging along and beeing the main actor during combat. But what we really want is a game where both of our characters have personalities and can impact the story. The moments when one of us is gone have been very frustrating, but we did finish the game...

Neverwinter Nights 2

We haven't really played more of this that the tutorial. I have finished the game on my own a while ago, but playing it together didn't feel satisfying at all. It is as if we were in two separate parties that are on the same quest, so the only thing we can really share is combat and equipment... In fairness maybe we should give it another try, but the first impression doesn't encourage to it. I have been looking for some story heavy mods for two playes, but to no avail.

New Super Mario Bros Wii

This is totaly not a role playing game but the fun factor made it work for us anyway. We laughed a lot and thew eachother in lava a lot or cause other forms of death not allways intenrional. I think she enjoyed it more than i, i suck at mario. There's not story to speak of.

Games i think about trying but haven't yet:

• Hunted: Demons Forge
  • Epic Yarn
  • Vampire the Masquarade: Redemption.
#2 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

minecraft ?

#3 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2272 posts) -

You guys could play Portal 2. She'd like the "cutesy" parts of it.

If you both have a console/computer go try Saints Row The Third. Its really fun to play and girls usually like the character creator elements, especially when they give you so many stupid options like skin colors like shiny metallic blue.

I'd try out the Walking Dead game too. Not really a co-op game nor is it really much of a game in the first place, but you can share in what choices you make and its just a really enjoyable game to play with a group.

#5 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Play that fucking gameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#6 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

Terraria was a great success here, along with Borderlands, Trine 1 & 2, Little Big Planet, and TERA.

#7 Posted by SharkEthic (1040 posts) -

Portal 2 was super fun to play with my wife. She was really in to giving virtual high fives at every available opportunity which was really cute...at first.

#8 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -
#9 Posted by Cousken (30 posts) -

Thanks for all the sugestions guys! I forgot to mention that we played some Lego games like Indiana Jones and Pirates. That was fun while it lastet but doesn't stick for long.

I showed here some trailers of the games and the thing that struck best was Trine. I hope to get that later and try it ^^ Portal also intrigued her, but also scares here and she hates to dies in game so she doesn't really wanna try, but i think i can convince here with time.

Terraria and Minecraft have no story at all so that didn't interest her. Borderlands and Red Dead are basicaly shooters so she wasn't interested either (i played both and loved them ^^ I actually have played all games mentioned here). Saints row is sort of the same, pluss its very oversexualised so it wasnt appealing, but not as oversexualised as TERA.

One of the reviews here said this about the game "The elves move constantly as if doing a seductive dance even when standing still, but the effect that it creats is as if they were trying to signal a plane to land with their boobs."

I don't have a PS3 or anything but the little i played of LBP i didn't really like. Maybe if we both get Vitas we could try again or something.

Again thanks for all the suggestions and hope this thread helps someone else besides me ^^

#10 Edited by RuthLoose (800 posts) -
#11 Posted by Cousken (30 posts) -

That was an exelent suggestion which made me look into a lot of other games like Eternal Sonata. Will report later.

#12 Posted by VACkillers (1060 posts) -

Trine and Trine 2 are good for what you want i think... Lot of the games suggested here aren't for the PC, im wondering if this post should be in a completely different forum? Cant remember if torchlight had coop or not? Diablo III is also one to think about.. but of course quite a bit of combat in that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.