Games For Low performance laptops

#1 Posted by Leugim (1 posts) -

Hi all,

I'm new here and there's one thing i always think about and know a lot of other people also do: I have a normal laptop, a bit old (3 years) and i want to know what games i can run.

Here are my specs:

Memory: 3.2 GB RAM

HDD: 100+ GB

Graphics card : ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 1.6 GB

CPU : Intel core 2 duo 2.4 GHz

I want to know if all these cool games like assassins creed and others can run in this...

Thank you and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place...

#2 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6186 posts) -

Probably not. There is the OnLive route.

#3 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

TF 2

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I made a list of some games that would play on my laptop that I owned. Some work better than others though.

Games I own that should run on my Wife's 4500 MHD laptop.

Good gaming goodness.

1. Grim Fandango

How about that.

2. Deus Ex

Why not? The laptop has 500gb of memory.

3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Sure.

4. The Longest Journey

Gotcha.

5. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way

Haven't seen you in a while.

6. Sid Meier's SimGolf

Where's my sequel.

7. Beyond Good & Evil

A good one.

8. Medieval: Total War

A pretty old game, should play on the laptop.

9. NASCAR Racing 2002 Season

Not as good as 2003, but cool none the less.

10. MVP Baseball 2005

One of the best ever.

11. Madden NFL 2005

I haven't played a Madden game in a while. Roster sucks, but who cares. Maybe there's a mod.

12. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
16. Sid Meier's Civilization IV
#5 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

you probably could do well with some indie type games.

Shatter

World of Goo

Binding of Isaac

Torchlight

Assassin's Creed would probably look bad, run poorly or both but you could check out steam indie games section. Usually in addition to being build for more modest spec pc's they're less of a huge investment.

#6 Posted by mlarrabee (2886 posts) -

The entire Telltale series works beautifully for laptops. On my laptop with specs comparable to yours, Civ V and Starcraft 2 work pretty well; if you don't mind lowering the graphical quality.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Minecraft! 

#8 Posted by pwn4g3IEE7 (31 posts) -

Starcraft, Counter Strike, Half Life, Basically any game that has to do with the Half Life 1 engine, Unreal tournament, Unreal, The Sims, Diablo 1 and 2, Battlefield 1942, Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, The list Goes on and on and on and on.....

#9 Posted by Zelyre (1126 posts) -

Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Terraria, Minecraft, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Planescape, Fallout, pretty much everything over at GoG.com.

#10 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Minecraft, terraria

#11 Posted by EkajArmstro (380 posts) -

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to run League of Legends and Starcraft II.

#12 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

san andreas worked on my 10 year old hp xp no problem i can easily point that one out for you, also the sims 2 , it may run a bit slow but it runs enough to play, keep in mind the pc i played sims 2 on was my xp which only had 512 mb so you should be more faster i hadnt tried on my current pc, which is 3 gigs , of ram , and nvidia geforce with cuda

, so ya , pretty much just look at the system requirments for the game , note gta iv dont try , those specs are wrong ,

#13 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

On my old crappy laptop I played Deus Ex no problem (had similar specs to yours I believe) also games like Sid Meier's Railroads and CivCity Rome ran real well.

Basically just aim low, get games from 2005 and earlier, all pretty much guaranteed to work, and there is a significant amount of great games to choose from.

Other than that, smaller games are fine, VVVVVV, Space Chem and Machinarium are pretty low intensity games, so should run just fine.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Does anyone know if a crappy Acer netbook can play indie games or older games? I remember trying to play the Portal demo and that failed miserably.

#16 Posted by RavenholmDX (174 posts) -

Anything on GoG.com that doesn't have "The Witcher" in the title should work...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.