Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Gaming on a laptop clearly not intended for games

Belf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Belf

I recently purchased a laptop for school and such and, as someone who knows very little about computers, was wondering what sort of games could run on it.
    It's a Toshiba Satellite c650-05P
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-featuring-intel-pentium-t4500-c650-05p-black-c650-05p/10155103.aspx?path=6a43dc4f4324e8bfc29f854967dcc8b1en02

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

Heh, I bought a Toshiba Satellite too, it's arriving tomorrow.

Anyways, looking up benchmarks for the video card in that laptop, led me to this site:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-4500MHD-GMA-X4500MHD.9883.0.html 

Scroll down a bit to find the game benchmarks.

Now, while they've tested the card in various laptops (click the scores to view which laptop it is) - I'd say it's a good bet that you should expect to run things on their lowest detail settings at best unless the games are old (Quake 3 looks to run great) or 2D (Plants vs. Zombies).

EDIT: There's still a lot of choice in that though. Check out good old games or search for top 10 lists of games from years prior to 2002.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By shirogane

Intel GMA? Yeah...not gonna run much...
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Try Torchlight. Some other very old games may work too. Play Diablo 2. 

But yeah, you ain't playin' a whole lot on that.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Minecraft, Snake, and Chess

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jrhawk42
    @Hamst3r said:   
    Anyways, looking up benchmarks for the video card in that laptop, led me to this site:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-4500MHD-GMA-X4500MHD.9883.0.html     
    bookmark that site if you're a gamer who will ever buy a laptop.  They have the best info on laptop graphics cards... most of which probably won't help if you don't know jack about pc gaming.  Well hopefully you can understand FPS, and that should give you a clue. :) 

Also I like Toshiba Satellite's they're cheap and pretty durable.  My current one is about 5 years old, and only cost $500 and able to run windows 7 which replaced another that was about 5 years old and died due to electrical failure (not the laptop's fault).
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

At first I was laughing at the thread, pc gaming, laptop. Then I clicked on the link and it said $475. I mean that's great value, I never was interested in a laptop until now.

I doubt you can really play any games with intergrated style gpu and will stutter even at the lowest setting. The cpu is already a bottleneck. However i'm suprised at the price because I always thought laptops were suppose to be very expensive. You can practically get by if the battery life is good enough. Canadian prices are much higher though. Oh well.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Meowshi

Laptops are expensive because of the mobility.

Of course if you never leave your house, you certainly wouldn't need one.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

Try Crysis, I heard that game is off the hook.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By GrandMarshal

I once watch one of my freinds play a bit of Dawn fo war 2 on his laptop... it was painfull

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

Dont let the fact that your specs might meet minimum requirements fool you into thinking you can run something. You'll probably overheat the fucker. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

I play games off my laptop and they run pretty great.  Mostly TF2, but l4d and counter strike runs good, and a bunch of the smaller games like torchlight and portal.  I played a bit of starcraft 2 on it and on about medium to high settings it ran decently.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @RobotHamster: I can play counter strike at 300 frames per second and those other games from the steam engine with high framerates too. It's not an indicator that your laptop can run other type of games well because most pc's with at least a dual core and a gpu should be able to run those regardless. I'm only saying.  

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamefreak9

Try tetris :P. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jack268

I have a HP Probook 4320i, runs WoW at 30-60 fps on low settings, but can hardly handle Minecraft with low draw distance. Assuming Minecraft draws little resource just because it looks like shit is faulty. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

As an occasional netbook gamer, I think that this is a good place to start.

I also recommend Doom and the indie game Iji, which you should really play anyway. If you like CS, you can play with bots. Star craft is also always a hit.

Source engine games often run on very low spec systems.

At this point, there are enough old games that finding things that will run shouldn't be too hard. The biggest issue that I have is with the actual nature of integrated graphics: they often cause weird bugs, presumably because games aren't tested on them. On the other hand, I find them to be better at running really old stuff than dedicated graphics.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By alternate

world of goo, super meatboy when it comes out, braid.  lots of good indie games are low spec

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.