Getting Ready to Build A New Gaming PC

#1 Edited by Jnal (213 posts) -

Hey guys just wanted to get some input on some of the parts I'm am trying to put together for a new gaming pc. I'm trying to max out any game I play, including BF3 when it comes out. I'm trying to keep the computer around $1,000 but hopefully under. Anyway here are the parts that I'm looking at.

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233184

HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Disk Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136236

The only thing I don't have listed is a power supply, which I'm debating between a 750w or 700w. Any suggestions will help.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

Not much to comment on, seems like a good system, although you might want to move up to a GTX570 if you're really interested in maxing out games. Also, if you're tossing up between higher and lower wattage power supplies, then go with the higher; having said that though, you'll probably be fine with a 700.

#3 Edited by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -

I'm looking into building a PC for the first time and I think I'm understanding everything except for the PSU. I'm not familiar with what different pin connectors I need and how many of them I need. I've been seeing that some video cards now require two types of pin connectors.

Also, I notice that you didn't list a sound card. Do you have one in mind yet? Also, do you not need to buy a fan since your case appears to be loaded with them?

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I'm looking into building a PC for the first time and I think I'm understanding everything except for the PSU. I'm not familiar with what different pin connectors I need and how many of them I need. I've been seeing that some video cards now require two types of pin connectors.

Also, I notice that you didn't list a sound card. Do you have one in mind yet? Also, do you not need to buy a fan since your case appears to be loaded with them?

Almost all name brand aftermarket power supplies will have every connection you will ever need and most video cards will come with adapters if they need a special connection.

Onboard soundcards are good enough for most people's tastes now and the stock cpu fan are good enough until you get into some heavy overclocking which isn't common these days with most games being developed to run on 5 year old consoles.

#5 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Jnal said:

I'm trying to max out any game I play, including BF3 when it comes out. 

I'm trying to keep the computer around $1,000 but hopefully under.

Sorry, not gonna happen. BF3 needs a monster machine to be maxed out (according to DICE, 2 GTX 580's).  
 
The CPU you chose (i7) is useless for gaming. Downgrade to i5 2500K (or 2500 if you don't wanna overclock it) and spend the difference money on a GTX 570 like  @BeachThunder said. Then you'll be able to run BF3 on medium/high. 
Good case and RAM, but i'm not familiar with Gigabyte motherboards. Make sure it supports SLI (multi-GPU) in case you wanna do that in the future. It also should have a new chipset version but I have no idea what a chipset is ;p a 700W PSU should be enough for this machine, however if you're thinking of going SLI in the near future, I recommended 850 or even 900
#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

If you want to Max out BF3, you should probably wait until they have at least system requirements and/or benchmarks for that game.

#7 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Very jealous. I want to build a new PC in January.

You probably aren't going to be able to max out Battlefield 3 until better cards come out.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

I'll never understand why people on a budget try to build an Intel/Nvidia PC; AMD crushes on value.

If you want to do a $1000 build, follow Geno's guide in this forum, he's put alot of work into it and knows his stuff, you won't do any better unless you find something on sale.

#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Jnal said:

I'm trying to max out any game I play, including BF3 when it comes out.

I'm trying to keep the computer around $1,000 but hopefully under.

Sorry, not gonna happen. BF3 needs a monster machine to max it out (according to DICE, 2 GTX 580's).
The CPU you chose (i7) is useless for gaming. Downgrade to i5 2500K (or 2500 if you don't wanna overclock it) and spend the difference money on a GTX 570 like @BeachThunder said. Then you'll be able to run BF3 on medium/high. Good case and RAM, but i'm not familiar with Gigabyte motherboards. Make sure it supports SLI (multi-GPU) in case you wanna do that in the future. It also should have a new chipset version but I have no idea what a chipset is :P a 700W PSU should be enough for this machine, however if you're thinking of going SLI in the near future, I recommended 850 or even 900

Thanks for the info! In researching Jnal's list, the motherboard he has listed does support multi-GPUs, which I'm interested in for the future. I didn't even consider the higher wattage you suggested, however, so that gives me something more to think about. I can always upgrade the PSU down the road.

I didn't know that an i7 would be considered useless for gaming when compared to an i5 2500, but I'm still learning. Could you please elaborate on why it'd be wiser to go with the i5 (besides cost)?

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@bonorbitz: the i7 is simply an overkill for games. An i5 2500K overclocked is all the processing power you need for even the most demanding games out there. It's the "perfect" CPU to go for today, and anything more is simply an overkill that won't make a big change in performance.  
the i7 is used by people who do cpu-heavy video rendering and stuff like that.
#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@bonorbitz: the i7 is simply an overkill for games. An i5 2500K overclocked is all the processing power you need for even the most demanding games out there. It's the "perfect" CPU to go for today, and anything more is simply an overkill that won't make a big change in performance. the i7 is used by people who do cpu-heavy video rendering and stuff like that.

Sold! I'll be updating my wish list and be pumping that extra money into a nicer video card like you guys suggested. I have a sound board question: I do minor, minor sound editing and wonder if mobos usually have a simple "line-in" input or will I need to purchase a sound card for that?

#12 Edited by Jnal (213 posts) -

Thanks for all the input guys, I figured it would be wishful thinking to max out BF3 without multiple GPUs, I've downgraded to the i5 and bumped up the graphics card to the GTX 570 after reading up some and also looked at Geno's thread about building a computer.

@bonorbitz: I haven't looked into a sound card, but did think about it. Some sites I read said there was no need to buy a sound card unless there was any music editing you wanted to do. I talked with a guy today who swears that I should get one as it gave him some of the best sound he had ever heard out of a PC. I still might as my current computer skips audio every couple of seconds during cutscenes that don't happen in game and no amount of researching online has fixed it.

@Kidavenger: I've been talking to a few people about the AMD processors, and looked at benchmark test between the Phenom II X6 1100 and the first gen i7s and i5s which match really well given the price difference. Unfortunately I can't find any comparisons to the Phenom against sandy bridge processors. Everything I've read points to the sandy bridge i7s and i5s being vastly superior until the new Bulldozer chips but can't confirm that. Would the difference even be noticeable enough to justify the price tag of the 2nd gen i series processor?

Edit: @Kidavenger: Also forgot to mention that from reading on Newegg the Phenom will only support up to 1333mhz for Ram. My ram knowledge isn't the best, so I don't know if I would use a faster ram speed if I don't plan on overclocking.

#13 Posted by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -
#14 Posted by Ghooble (80 posts) -

@bonorbitz: Just a suggestion, you are using upper high end parts (The GTX570 and 2500k) But you are using a cheaper case. With those parts you want ample room and cooling so my suggestion would be something like the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139005. It's a fantastic case, it's labeled as a mid tower but it's larger than a lot of full towers. Remember this is just my opinion but I would take it xD. (If you don't want to drop the extra cash on the case, an option is to drop the sound card and dump the extra money into the case, then buy a sound card at a later date)

-Ghooble

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

@Jnal said:

@Kidavenger: I've been talking to a few people about the AMD processors, and looked at benchmark test between the Phenom II X6 1100 and the first gen i7s and i5s which match really well given the price difference. Unfortunately I can't find any comparisons to the Phenom against sandy bridge processors. Everything I've read points to the sandy bridge i7s and i5s being vastly superior until the new Bulldozer chips but can't confirm that. Would the difference even be noticeable enough to justify the price tag of the 2nd gen i series processor?

Edit: @Kidavenger: Also forgot to mention that from reading on Newegg the Phenom will only support up to 1333mhz for Ram. My ram knowledge isn't the best, so I don't know if I would use a faster ram speed if I don't plan on overclocking.

I guess my point is the same as most that recommend getting an i5 2500 over an i7, the AMD may not be the cream of the crop right now, but they meet the needs of anything you are going to see in gaming at this point, Intel really blows them away spec wise, but you are paying for it and if it comes down to splitting a budget on the gpu and cpu, I'm putting my money into the gpu.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735 this guy takes 1600mhz ram, and with the overclocking options stated, I'm inclinded to believe that the CPU isn't limited to 1333mhz.

#16 Edited by Vinnylegs (96 posts) -

@Jnal said:

Thanks for all the input guys, I figured it would be wishful thinking to max out BF3 without multiple GPUs, I've downgraded to the i5 and bumped up the graphics card to the GTX 570 after reading up some and also looked at Geno's thread about building a computer.

@bonorbitz: I haven't looked into a sound card, but did think about it. Some sites I read said there was no need to buy a sound card unless there was any music editing you wanted to do. I talked with a guy today who swears that I should get one as it gave him some of the best sound he had ever heard out of a PC. I still might as my current computer skips audio every couple of seconds during cutscenes that don't happen in game and no amount of researching online has fixed it.

@Kidavenger: I've been talking to a few people about the AMD processors, and looked at benchmark test between the Phenom II X6 1100 and the first gen i7s and i5s which match really well given the price difference. Unfortunately I can't find any comparisons to the Phenom against sandy bridge processors. Everything I've read points to the sandy bridge i7s and i5s being vastly superior until the new Bulldozer chips but can't confirm that. Would the difference even be noticeable enough to justify the price tag of the 2nd gen i series processor?

Edit: @Kidavenger: Also forgot to mention that from reading on Newegg the Phenom will only support up to 1333mhz for Ram. My ram knowledge isn't the best, so I don't know if I would use a faster ram speed if I don't plan on overclocking.

2500K and GTX 570 are awesome choices. I have them and they don't let me down.

Personally I would also go with this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128494 if you don't need integrated graphics with z68 but want the other z68 features and this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202Those will help you save some money on top of switching from 2600 to 2500K. Also this PSU is a good brand and is at an awesome price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027. I can't comment on sound cards because I don't use them. So with your other parts your at roughly $1024. If you could I would spend a little more and get a better case.

Good luck with your final choices and the build!

Edit: If you want a bigger psu for sli 570s in the future I say go with Corsair HX850 for an extra $60.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.