Ghz and if the differences really matter?

#1 Edited by Deminos (39 posts) -

So I've been browsing New egg to find a good Phenom II X4 and discovered a 80 dollar quad with an L1 cache an L2 cache and an L3 cache at 2.8 GHz.. 
   I'm thinking that's an easy OC to at least 3. GHz if not 3.2, (no heat sink and fan included but i have that anyways) but I wouldn't really be able to go past maybe 3.4 ghz even if its hopefully stable up to 3.2, so is it worth it to get it over say a stock 3.2 GHz quad with an L2 cache and an l3 cache which will likely go up to 3.4 easier and even beyond that for 40 dollars+? 

Ex products.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103940 the 2.8 GHz quad  
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808 the 3.2 GHz quad (really can be any higher priced quad but just an example of the products I was seeing.) 

#2 Posted by Sn1PeR (139 posts) -

I would not advise purchasing a current Phenom generation AMD chip right now.  They are expected to release the next generation Zambezi (Bulldozer) cpus any day now.  Waiting a few weeks would be a good idea if you are in the AMD camp.  At the very least you should get more for your money.

There is an AMD event July 16th that will be showing gameplay on Bulldozer chips. 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1612784

#3 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

I would wait. The current generation of AMD chips is on its way out. If you are so inclined to stick with those chips you will at least benefit from the inevitable price drop, but I'm sure similarly priced chips will replace those with better performance. I hope you are patient!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)

#4 Posted by Deminos (39 posts) -

Well my mobo only supports up to phenom 2 regardless, and the chip set isn't too bad, not like i'll be doing anything but gaming with a quad anyways. 

#5 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (822 posts) -
@weeman105: That's a bit of a strange wiki entry, it says there will be four Bulldozer CPUs then it shows five in the table. Also it shows an FX8150 at 3.2ghz stock when the FX8130 has been widely reported as having a stock of 3.8ghz. I guess we will see on Saturday exactly what is being released. This has got to be one of the most frustrating launches I've watched for a long time now, and I have been been watching for a very long time! :(
#6 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

@TheKeyboardDemon: That's interesting. I didn't even pay close enough attention to notice that. Good catch. It seems like there has been a steady stream of edits to the wiki but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were accurate. I'm very interested in this launch as well as I want to see how this measures up to Intel's offerings. It seems like AMD has been playing catch up for quite some time now.

#7 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (822 posts) -
@weeman105: lol, AMD has been playing catch up for quite some now, approximately 8 years IIRC. Are you planning on building a Bulldozer rig or looking at a new rig and want the info in order to decide between that or a Sandy Bridge?
#8 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

@TheKeyboardDemon: I'm personally more of the latter. I'm not one to drop huge sums of money on a system so I used to go the AMD route, but Sandy Bridge seems to be a fierce competitor. I think brand loyalty is silly. Just get whatever the best product is imo.

#9 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Sn1PeR said:
I would not advise purchasing a current Phenom generation AMD chip right now.  They are expected to release the next generation Zambezi (Bulldozer) cpus any day now.  Waiting a few weeks would be a good idea if you are in the AMD camp.  At the very least you should get more for your money.

There is an AMD event July 16th that will be showing gameplay on Bulldozer chips. 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1612784
Seconded. Bulldozer is expected to release sometime in Q3/early Q4, which is quite soon. Phenom X4, especially the lower end chips, are 2 years old at this point and weren't the highest end chips to begin with. It would be several times better value to get an Intel Sandy Bridge processor right now, or wait for Bulldozer. 
#10 Posted by Ghooble (80 posts) -

Wait, wait, wait....wait. Bulldozer comes out SATURDAY?! 
 -Ghooble

#11 Edited by Devildoll (909 posts) -

you can only compare frequency on processors where everything else is the same.

for example , an amd phenom II 945 and a 955 are the same , cept for the difference in frequency.

but if you compare a pentium 4 to a modern sandy bridge i7 , frequency doesn't tell you jack shit.

similarly when you compare any other two kinds of processors.

if you want to know which one is best, you simply have to look at tests where they measure how good the specific cpu performs in specific programs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.