Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Giving up my 360 for PC

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Over the last few days I have been running my PC through HDMI onto my 1080p TV. The difference between playing the PC though it in terms of visual over the 360 (for the same games) is like night and day.

Has anyone else done this? Seeing as i can play games using the 360 controller, which is connected to the computer, it kind of makes my 360 useless.

I guess it saves money not paying extra for console games and I can upgrade the PC whenever I want.

Who else has done the switch?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

I play both but I prefer to play on my PC. I use my 360 mostly for driving games, third person shooters and exclusives.
    Edit; I also use my 360 for multiplayer games.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

Pretty much the same here, I play everything but prefer PC overall. Though I have never done anything quite like hooking it up to my TV and I dont plan to.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Yeah I do like racing games on the 360 but with the wireless controller receiver and TV, its just the same really. 

I do also have a PS3 for those exclusives but being able to see the games running on the TV on full HD really steps it up.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Black_Raven

Yea I made the switch, a few years ago my 360 died and since then I've never really felt the need to own another console, there are not enough games on the consoles I like to justify the purchase.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

OH MAN I AM REMOVING YOU FROM MY STEAM FRIENDS LIST.

just kidding.

My TV wouldn't like my PC output, but even if it did, I'd miss the games that are on 360 but not on other platforms.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funzzo

I play PC on my 42 inch 1080p its nice. PC FOREVER
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eclipsesis

To me it feels like MS are trying to pull everyone from PC gaming to add them to the Xbox install base, so in my opinion in makes no sense to switch to PC exclusively. But hey, i'm a fan of all gaming platforms and i am especially looking forward to the release of Starcraft 2. And i guess if visuals are your thing (Dirty Graphics whore, joking, i also passed out when i seen crisis running at its full monty on a 47") PC does prevail.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Hamst3r
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    "The difference between playing the PC though it in terms of visual over the 360 (for the same games) is like night and day."

Fuck yeah it is.  *PC terrorist fist bump*
    Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shadowsquire

Mainly all my FPS games are played on my PC. I love the fact that if you get a game off steam you don't have to pay taxes. Its not huge savings, but they add up. That, and nothing will ever replace the keyboard/mouse for shooters... NOTHING!

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By blackbird415

what about spltscreen with friends and whatnot.? Ive been really thinking of making the transition myself by investing in building a new computer, but what about splitscreen? whether it be with friends playing streetfighter or tekken, or playing left for dead with my girlfriend? It would be awesome if I could get proper splitscreen support for pc. then I'd definitly switch, but until then the two will coexsist. anyone know a fx for this???

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Shadowsquire said:
    " Mainly all my FPS games are played on my PC. I love the fact that if you get a game off steam you don't have to pay taxes. Its not huge savings, but they add up. That, and nothing will ever replace the keyboard/mouse for shooters... NOTHING! "
    That's the reason why console/PC cross platform online gaming for FPS games will never happen. And if it does/has, that is the worst decision ever. A keyboard/mouse will always be superior to a gamepad in terms of sheer aiming speed and accuracy. However, I far prefer the gamepad as it is more comfortable and I am not at all used to the mouse and keyboard for gaming.
    CriPPleR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CriPPleR

PC hooked up to a 50" 1080p Kuro plasma baby. Although I have the 360 and PS3 hooked up to it as well and you are right about it being night and day.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monkeyroach

I had my pc connected to my tv for a good 2 weeks and i went back to my monitor, now iam thinking about buying a 42incher just for my pc.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Maru

I went from original black Xbox to PC. I did consider purchasing 360, but red ring of death turned me off and built my self a gaming PC (needed a new computer at the time anyways :))  With PC and PS 3 I have long list of games that I still need to play. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@eclipsesis said:
    " To me it feels like MS are trying to pull everyone from PC gaming to add them to the Xbox install base.
    I don't think they are not doing this whole "Games for Windows (Live)" program just for shits and giggles, there is obviously still money to be made.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By oldschool

I don't play hardcore PC games and uber graphics are not my thing.  However, I really love my RTS games on my Mac (running Windows for most) and connecting it to my 106cm HD plasma is superb (not HDMI though, just regular PC connection).  Just having the big screen for Civilisation is worth the money I paid for the extra cables.  Still not giving up home consoles though.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust

I play less and less the xbox 360, and more the pc. 

I don't know if i'll buy a new console again, unless it is a ps2, as i have a ton of games for it, and i love them. 

But the new consoles don't have the same appeal to me unfortunatly for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would keep your 360. What are you going to say when Gears of War 3 comes out? Also there are games that only come out for consoles and not PC that are great. Like Condemned 2: Bloodshot, The Darkness, Final Fantasy series, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

any mp games i will play on my pc, shooters, and strategy/rpg games.  the only thing i use my ps3 for is sports games, and those racing exclusives like motorstorm (2 sucked), gt5, and brawlers like viking, gow, and deamon's souls. 

pc is a lot easier and better, no 20 minute installs or anything, and with steam, not putting the disk in is extremely nice. 

just keep an eye out for terrible ports, it happens often, so shoving the 360 in a closet, while i would love to tell you to do so, the respect for pc gamers just isnt present (fo3, for instance).
    Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea it's nice to have a console to play those exclusive games like Final Fantasy or gears of War or Drake's Fortune. Nothing beats the mods for PC though like Fall Out 3 and Half Life 2 mods which are free and are amazing.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By mrhankey
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Over the last few days I have been running my PC through HDMI onto my 1080p TV. The difference between playing the PC though it in terms of visual over the 360 (for the same games) is like night and day.  Has anyone else done this? Seeing as i can play games using the 360 controller, which is connected to the computer, it kind of makes my 360 useless.  I guess it saves money not paying extra for console games and I can upgrade the PC whenever I want.  Who else has done the switch? "
    I hooked up my pc up to my 1080p LCD TV once...i didn't really care for it, kind of ruined the experience.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just recently got a nice enough computer this year to run modern games again, and I've played most things I can run on the PC on the PC now.  I much prefer L4D2 on PC than on 360.  I do need to upgrade my graphics card though.  It's holding me back a lot, I could run many more games if I just upgraded it.  But alas, Christmas has rendered me broke.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Lunarbunny

I suspect this is a trend we'll see up until the next console lifecycle. My hypothesis is that as the developers push the limits of the consoles, they produce games that have the possibility of looking even better when they aren't constrained to the limits of a particular console.

At the same time, it is extremely hard to argue with the ease of use of consoles. I don't expect a PC dominance after another year, I just expect a statistically noticeable rise in PC [re]adoption.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

Join the dark side. We have less jaggies ^ ^. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Yeah i will miss Gears or War 3, but i may rent or borrow a console for that. I will still be keeping my PS3 however, too many interesting titles for that coming out. 

Plus the blu-ray is a must for me, considering the TV i got. 

But yeah the PC coupled with the wireless 360 controller is more or less an uber graphics 360, so why not?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Agreed. I like to hook my pc up to my big ass tv and chill on my couch with my wireless 360 controller. I did that same thing and ran resident evil 5 on 360 and pc...holy crap totally different and I dont have to tell you which one won that.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mikemcn

HAHAHAHA another convert to our glourious empire! Soon we will regain what is rightfully ours and become the most popular gaming platform on Earth! Flee before us infidels! FLEEEEEE !!

Oh god, what just happened, i blacked out for a second there, anyways, welcome dude! You'll love it!
    theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By theduke

i just sold my 360 to put together a PC

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Jams

After all the steam deals, I feel stupid for even buying console games (at $60.00 a pop).
    I got these games at about these prices over the past couple days on steam:

1. Torchlight $10 (was $4.95)
    2. Ghostbusters $7
    3. Mirrors Edge $4
    4. GTA IV $7
    5. Audio Surf $2
    6. Braid $2
    7. Lucas Arts adventure pack (2x Indiana Jones, Loom and some other one) $2
    To be honest I think I bought a couple more, but I bought so much that I can't even remember. Having bought AC2, MW2, Demon's souls, Uncharcted 2 for the consoles, the PC seems to even out in terms of hardware costs and game costs compared to the initial console cost plus the super expensive games. Plus you can do everything else on the PC like render video and edit photos and watch... videos hehehe

EDIT:
     OH yeah, and the two S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. One for like $2 and Clear Sky's was $11. Those were the first ones I bought.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Geno
    @jams said:
    " After all the steam deals, I feel stupid for even buying console games (at $60.00 a pop).
    I got these games at about these prices over the past couple days on steam:
    1. Torchlight $10 (was $4.95)
    2. Ghostbusters $7
    3. Mirrors Edge $4
    4. GTA IV $7
    5. Audio Surf $2
    6. Braid $2
    7. Lucas Arts adventure pack (2x Indiana Jones, Loom and some other one) $2
    To be honest I think I bought a couple more, but I bought so much that I can't even remember. Having bought AC2, MW2, Demon's souls, Uncharcted 2 for the consoles, the PC seems to even out in terms of hardware costs and game costs compared to the initial console cost plus the super expensive games. Plus you can do everything else on the PC like render video and edit photos and watch... videos hehehe "
    Yeah I've saved thousands of dollars on games myself. PC gaming is expensive to initiate but it's just gravy once you're there. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.