Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good build for WoW?

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tupapison

Ok, so im building a new PC specifically for WoW: Mists of Pandaria

Hopefully this will run WOW at Ultra settings smoothly?

Here are the specs:

Any suggestion is great!

Motherboard:

ASUS P8Z77-V LE - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/MAS90 [...] E_ATX.html

Processor:

Intel Core i5 - 3450, 3.10 GHz - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/IC534 [...] Boxed.html

Video Card:

PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/GPZG5 [...] 024MB.html

Hard Drive:

(SSD) 2.5 "SATA 6Gb / s OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/H2D01 [...] 28_GB.html

Power Supply:

600 Watt ATX power supply, Corsair CX600 V2 - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/N60CO [...] 0Plus.html

Case:

Case Midi Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition - https://www.ditech.at/artikel/GMTT9 [...] SB3.0.html

How is this configuration to play Wow at ULTRA settings? This should allow me to max out all the settings right?

Anything suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray V.

Tag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tag

So first off, WOW is not a graphically intensive game, so a 560 is overkill, however it is still a nice card that will play pretty much everything out there at the highest settings.

Second, this computer will play wow on ultra no problem, except your missing ram, really any brand will do, id recommend 8 gigs as a bare minimum.

Your motherboard is good, however if you have no plans for overclocking or the like, i would get a cheaper one.

The SSD's are a god send for a game like wow. Loading in a major city is a huge improvement with a ssd.

Lastly the CPU is good, however again i would save a bit of money and buy a i5 2500k instead. The benefit of the new cpu's, increased GPU ability and power consumption dont play any real benefit to you. Your 560 will be doing the real work, and power consumption on a gaming computer is never much of a consideration. Also, the i5 2500k's are amazing overclockers if you did want to do that and get a nice performance boost.

However, dont expect performance to always be amazing. with games that are so heavily dependent on bandwidth/latency, you will still get slow down that is in no way related to your hardware. It may be better than it was befor, but it can still exist

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By s10129107

You can run wow off of an old shoe.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

I'm running an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core processor 6400+ 3.2 Ghz, a Geforce 8800 GTS 512 (from about three/four years ago) and 4GB of ram and WoW runs with everything at ultra at over 60fps. Basically, my entire rig was pretty fantastic about three or four years ago. Your rig will kill it!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

@Tag said:

Second, this computer will play wow on ultra no problem, except your missing ram, really any brand will do, id recommend 8 gigs as a bare minimum.

Bare minimum is a rather harsh way to put it. 8 is a healthy amount, I'd call it a catastrophic waste of money to get any more.

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tupapison

OK, made a few changes to the config.

Think this is my final build, unless you guys have any other suggestions!

-8 GB DDR3 RAM Kit, 1600MHz, CL9, CORSAIR Vengeance

-PCI-E 2.0 graphics card ASUS ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5, retail, 1024MB

-Mainboard S-1155 ASUS P8Z77-M, Micro-ATX

-600 Watt ATX power supply, Corsair CX600 V2, 80Plus

-Processor Intel Core i5 - 2500K, 3,30 GHz, LGA1155, Quad Core, Boxed

-Solid State Drive (SSD) 2.5 "SATA 6Gb / s OCZ Vertex 4, 128 GB

I chose a cheaper Mobo), downgraded from a GTX 560 to a GTX 550 (Is there much difference between these 2? Or should i stick with the 560?

Thanks!

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Tupapison: Lol yeah you'll be way more than fine.

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tupapison

@LethalKi11ler said:

@Tupapison: Lol yeah you'll be way more than fine.

Yeah on sticking with a 560? Or is the 550 more than enough?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@Tupapison said:

OK, made a few changes to the config.

Think this is my final build, unless you guys have any other suggestions!

-8 GB DDR3 RAM Kit, 1600MHz, CL9, CORSAIR Vengeance

-PCI-E 2.0 graphics card ASUS ENGTX550 Ti DC/DI/1GD5, retail, 1024MB

-Mainboard S-1155 ASUS P8Z77-M, Micro-ATX

-600 Watt ATX power supply, Corsair CX600 V2, 80Plus

-Processor Intel Core i5 - 2500K, 3,30 GHz, LGA1155, Quad Core, Boxed

-Solid State Drive (SSD) 2.5 "SATA 6Gb / s OCZ Vertex 4, 128 GB

I chose a cheaper Mobo), downgraded from a GTX 560 to a GTX 550 (Is there much difference between these 2? Or should i stick with the 560?

Thanks!

If you can afford the 560 then go with it, it's a better card. I will note that you're going to need more than 128GB of storage - are you planning on getting a second hard drive or even an external one?

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tupapison

@believer258: I do have a 1TB external hard drive.

But, the 550 will still run Wow on ultra with no hesitation right? Will i notice that much of a difference between these 2? its about a 55 EUR difference.

Or will the 550 will still run Wow as good as the 560? is the difference that much?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Jrinswand

Dude, if you're sweating about being able to build a rig that'll run WoW well then I think you're overthinking it a bit too much. WoW is an eight year old game at this point and it was never difficult to run in the first place.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Justin258

@Tupapison said:

But, the 550 will still run Wow on ultra with no hesitation right? Will i notice that much of a difference between these 2? its about a 55 EUR difference.

Or will the 550 will still run Wow as good as the 560? is the difference that much?

World of Warcraft is a game from 2004. Granted, it's had some big improvements since then, but you could probably find a toaster that can suitably run World of Warcraft.

Yes, a GTX 550 will run WoW. So will a GTX 460. Or 260. If you're getting a semi-decent graphics card, you can run World of Warcraft. I was only suggesting to go ahead for the 560 incase you decide to become a full on PC gamer - a 560 is a more powerful card.

But the GTX 550 will be fine for WoW.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

you'll be fine... my nephew still runs WoW on my old q6600 2.4ghz quad core and 8800gt.

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tupapison

@believer258 said:

@Tupapison said:

World of Warcraft is a game from 2004. Granted, it's had some big improvements since then, but you could probably find a toaster that can suitably run World of Warcraft.

Yes, a GTX 550 will run WoW. So will a GTX 460. Or 260. If you're getting a semi-decent graphics card, you can run World of Warcraft. I was only suggesting to go ahead for the 560 incase you decide to become a full on PC gamer - a 560 is a more powerful card.

Yeah, but is the 550 going to cause that for example, when i enter Orgrimar or a boss fight starts, will it start being sluggish and lag? i want a smooth playing experience without any slow down(i know fps will probably go down), for example when i start a boss fight and the screen freezes for like 0.2 secs. I dont want this to happen, if the 550 will just lower the FPS once in a while is fine, but i dont like to get stuck screens or lag because of the video card.

Just want to be sure before making a purchase,

Thanks believer258

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Beaudacious

People still play WoW?

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By scalpel

@Beaudacious said:

People still play WoW?

Yes. Subscribers dipped recently because of Diablo 3 and the end-of-expansion lull, but in Mists of Pandaria it's probably going back up to 10+ million subscribers again.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By fox01313

Sounds like a good pc build for gaming & been happy with the i5 chip on this new pc. As for wow, it can get intense if you crank up all the settings but in order to make it friendly for many people to get as many people playing it as possible, the settings can be dumbed down quite a bit so you should be good. If nothing else when building a new rig just look at some of the games that are coming out recently (ie. Sleeping Dogs, Guild Wars2) & as long as you get stats above those recommended/basic requirements then you should be good for a while.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Tupapison: The 550 will be fine but I'd recommend the 560 Ti for future proof and better fps in raids and stuff

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By buft

I used to run wow on an old single core laptop with 1gig of ram and an integrated graphics card, when burning crusade came out I had to upgrade to a PC with a dual core processor and an integrated graphics card, my current machine has a radeon hd 6890 and i can get 250 -300 fps if i turn off vsync, its overkill, powerful machine is not needed.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SamStrife

Why am I the only person who sees this as a fake account pimping out ditech.at? Surely all you people can't be this blind?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Shivoa

There is no (realistic) maximum settings for PC gaming. You can render over 3 screens with anti-aliasing that renders the entire world at double the size (four times the screen area) and then scales it down to give a better image (SSAA). You can sample up to 32 times at every polygon boundary (MSAA) and up to 8 times for every pixel of a semi-transparent texture (AAA/TrAA/transparency SSAA). You can take a game that screams along on any hardware and use the top assets the game provides and then push onto it so much extra burden that even the fastest GPUs struggle. You can run in 3D and so turn that desire for 60fps into a 120fps requirement (instantly doubling your GPU requirement, while the type of CPU you need is basically unchanged).

With an i5-2500K and GTX470, I can get WoW down to 20fps (40 frames total, 20 per eye/point in time) by cranking up the transparency SSAA to 4x with 16x MSAA on the polygons (max in-game settings) in areas thanks to foliage. Thousands and thousands of trees into the distance, many nearby plants and grasses; all using transparency and so being rendered over each other (no culling of surfaces, they might be transparent so you need to render the bit behind them) and max in-game settings leads to plenty of GPU work in the remade world of WoW (note the 2004 assets are gone, the old world was rebuilt to allow flying in 2010 with higher res textures and far more optional static meshes and less LoD culling into the distance). Most places: locked 120fps; but some areas of dense transparent textures then it can really take a bite if I use the highest IQ rendering settings. That's why I don't use those settings as a bit less transparency AA means a consistent experience in all areas (also IQ is improved by 3D as each eye gets a different render of the world and so is working to average out aliasing over two views rather than both looking at one rendered with only pixel accuracy - textures are sharper and aliasing is less pronounced but still worth trying to minimise; it's not worth the need to push twice as many frames but if you've got to the point where you can't make each frame look any better than having two of them for every point in time from two perspectives then you can see more detail).

Realistically the settings you likely want to run at, without 3D (so only fighting for 60fps to be silky smooth) or all the IQ settings maxed out and at a reasonable resolution: WoW will not give any modern rig any issues. Anything you build will be great. nVidia spend a lot of time looking at games and helping devs and testing their drivers and so have created a rather large (if obviously 'take with some sodium' and only for their products) database of games and settings and benchmarked scores. They don't tell you which bit of the overworld they were in to record these values (and all the fancy IQ like transparency SSAA is off) but you've got a rough guide (it's even worth having a look when you buy a game just to see what settings they switched down first to maintain FPS if you find you can't play a game on max - nVidia have probably done a lot of testing to find the settings with the maximum fps delta).

Edit: and as we're possibly going to also talk about minimum settings/worst PC that ran WoW. I may 'win' that one. 2003 Apple iBook G4 (12") using an internet connection via a brand new in the UK 3G phone network (round trip pings between 500ms and 3 seconds). 800MHz of PowerPC force and a Radeon 9200 and vanilla WoW was totally (there were frames per second and not seconds per frame at minimum settings at 1024x768 and dropping the res means it was almost fun if it wasn't for the pings) playable in 2005.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Justin258

@Tupapison said:

@believer258 said:

@Tupapison said:

Yeah, but is the 550 going to cause that for example, when i enter Orgrimar or a boss fight starts, will it start being sluggish and lag? i want a smooth playing experience without any slow down(i know fps will probably go down), for example when i start a boss fight and the screen freezes for like 0.2 secs. I dont want this to happen, if the 550 will just lower the FPS once in a while is fine, but i dont like to get stuck screens or lag because of the video card.

Just want to be sure before making a purchase,

Thanks believer258

You should have your answer by now.

@SamStrife said:

Why am I the only person who sees this as a fake account pimping out ditech.at? Surely all you people can't be this blind?

Even if he is, he isn't posting anything else for 24 hours. Five post limit.

Tupapison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tupapison

@SamStrife said:

Just because the only place to build a computer in Vienna is this page, Would you be saying this is a fake acc if I would link all newegg.com products?

Its just what I can use, and i do need help. Thats why im here.

-------------

@Shivoa Thank you!

Thank you!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SamStrife

@Tupapison: In that case, you have my sincerest apologies. There's plenty of ad bots on GB, so I was a bit cautious, what with you linking all to this one site no one's ever heard of. Again, apologies and welcome to the site.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.