Good games for crappy computers?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by Mtn_Dew_Volt (2 posts) -

I am really in the mood for some gaming or something, but I don't have the money for good platforms, and pretty much have to deal with PC games for now. My desktop I own normally wasn't TOO bad for gaming, but it was still pretty cheap.  But if I find any good games I'd wanna download and play, I sorta can't, since internet hasn't worked for about a month. Hoping to resolve that soon anyway though.
So I resort to a good game for laptop. Now it, i would describe, as crappy. 256 mb of ram, 20 gb of hard drive.
So, is there possibly a game that can be played on this ancient thing? That doesn't cost much, i doubt i could get something free, but it would be nice!
I like most games, like mmorpg's,  and other stuff. I don't like reeeally  violent gory games though.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Lego Island if you can find a copy.  That game was epic.

#3 Posted by Storphrax (186 posts) -
@JJOR64: Oh man I remember that game. I haven't seen it since i was a kid, and I'll agree, epic game.
#4 Posted by leslieprentice (5 posts) -

You could prob get the Sims ultimate deluxe very cheap and your machine would run it, or Age of Empires 2 is also great!

#5 Posted by Beehdaubs (10 posts) -

Starcraft   =D
Team Fortress Classic
Counterstrike 1.6
Any of the original Half Life games.

#6 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

system shock 2?

#7 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

Try some mmorpgs... Some have really low requirements. 

Try classics like crazy taxi, daytona usa and sega rally. 

Braid and the world of goo might work. 

Broken Sword, Diskworld and grim fandango are also good games, if you like point and click games. 

#8 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Tropico, greatest management sim I've ever played.

#9 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -

Crysis

#10 Edited by Ken420 (150 posts) -

Arcade emulators.  The programs are easy to find and the games come from your favorite p2p site.

Edited: My bad on that Franko.

#11 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Ken420: We don't mention any sites linked to piracy around here...
#12 Posted by brainwins (251 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" Tropico, greatest management sim I've ever played. "
This.
Also try Gog.com. Almost all their library should run on your computer.
#13 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Crysis "
/agreed
#14 Posted by Sweep (8823 posts) -

the first Call Of Duty is incredible, unbelievably the online community still exists and its awesome. That runs easily on my bottom-of-the-range Dell.

Plants Vs Zombies. 

Also Osmos is really good, thats kinda like flOw, very ambient.

#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is a fantastic game. I used to play it for hours and hours and hours. You should be able to find it quite cheaply now too.

#16 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -

Plants vs. Zombies 
Warcraft 3 
Braid 

#17 Posted by tactis (353 posts) -

Guild Wars is a pretty sweet game that has very low system requirements.
#18 Posted by Foosman (12 posts) -

Look for Baldur's Gate II (since the first will really look dated) or Planescape: Torment.  If Freedom Force will work on your computer, that would also be a good time.

#19 Posted by Mtn_Dew_Volt (2 posts) -

Oh wow, definatly alot of reccomended games!
Doubt I could try out ALL of these, even though I wish I could. I'll probably pick out one, maybe two to try out.
Tropico sounds really interesting, and I'll look up the rest of these soon. 
I do know I want to buy Guild wars for my desktop soon, that is whenever I get to some money. I played the free trial, and really enjoyed it. 
Thanks for all the recommendations!

#20 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

Age of Empires 2 and Sim City 3000: Unlimited

#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11485 posts) -

Well, since my computer sucks as well, I can tell you plenty of games worth playing!
Starcraft
Diablo II
Fallout 1&2
Might and Magic VI
Heroes of Might and Magic III

#22 Posted by Ken420 (150 posts) -
Just remembered, Y's Complete (aka Y's Eternal) which is Y's Book I & II originally released on the PC Engine/Turbografx16, but available on PC if you can track it down.  Greatest game soundtrack ever.
#23 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
Wow I just had a flashback to my childhood.  My friends and I would play the hell out of that game.  

I have to recommend Diablo II.  It's a great game that can last for a long time and it can most definitely run on your computer
#24 Posted by MythDarK (535 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:
" system shock 2? "
Go for it. One of the most epic games ever.
#25 Edited by Droop (1829 posts) -

Might and Magic 7 (8 and 9 too I guess)
Heroes 3
Deus Ex 
Worms World Party
No One Lives Forever (;D)

etc.

#26 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" @JJOR64 said:
Wow I just had a flashback to my childhood.  My friends and I would play the hell out of that game.  

I have to recommend Diablo II.  It's a great game that can last for a long time and it can most definitely run on your computer "
Holy crap, nostalgic flashbacks. I remember beating that game over... and over... I must've put days into that.

Any of the old Blizzard games are great, then there's Plants Versus Zombies, which will entertain you for a while, and maybe Morrowind if your computer can handle it.
#27 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Starcraft runs on any computer, even if it's made by McGyver.

#28 Posted by bekern (563 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Lego Island if you can find a copy.  That game was epic. "
<33 Can't believe I saw that mentioned I used to love that game.Some of the lines in that game are ingrained into my mind haha.  
Unfortunately I've tried installing it again awhile ago and it doesn't work on Vista :(.
#29 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@bekern said:
" @JJOR64 said:
<33 Can't believe I saw that mentioned I used to love that game.Some of the lines in that game are ingrained into my mind haha.   Unfortunately I've tried installing it again awhile ago and it doesn't work on Vista :(. "
"Bodacious boat man!"
#30 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Diablo II and Fallout 1 and 2 are all awesome games that are easy to get a hold of.

#31 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

Diablo 2

#32 Posted by Sweep (8823 posts) -

Theme Hospital, that game was so damn cool.

#33 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" Theme Hospital, that game was so damn cool. "
WE HAVE PATIENTS INCOMING WITH GIANT HEADS AND WOLF-MAN-ITIS
#34 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" Try some mmorpgs... Some have really low requirements.  Try classics like crazy taxi, daytona usa and sega rally.  Braid and the world of goo might work.  Broken Sword, Diskworld and grim fandango are also good games, if you like point and click games.  "
I love all the broken sword stuff. I hoep they remake all that stuff.
#35 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

guild wars 

plants and zombies

action cross / elastomania

#36 Posted by MexicanHatBoy (129 posts) -

Rise of Nations :)

#37 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

@Mtn_Dew_Volt:
 Action:
Mechwarrior 4 
Half Life 
System Shock 1 + 2
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
Doom

RPG:
Diablo 1 + 2
Fallout 1+ 2
Planescape Torment
Neverwinter Nights [possibly a strech on 256MB RAM] 

Strategy:
Starcraft
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Age of Empires 1 + 2
Command and Conquer
Red Alert 
Tiberian Sun
Total Annihilation
Sim City 3000 
Warcraft 2 + 3

Puzzle:
Peggle
Bejewled

Most of that I just got from glancing at my computer shelves, but that should keep you busy for a while.
#38 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -
@Pibo47:  

sadly remakes is possibly all that we'll get from broken sword. 

I don't see a new chapter coming out... Maybe if the remakes do well. 
#39 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Civilisation 2 is good if you have 8-10 hours to kill.

#40 Posted by Bigvic785 (120 posts) -

Lego Island was truly epic. The Brickster was a genius. He tore that place down Brick by Brick. Here's something for nostalgia

#41 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

Most of my favourite RTS games are the old ones.   

Dungeon Keeper 2 will work fine and you should be able to get it for less than a fiver these days.   
Ground Control is actually free now if you do a bit of googling, I think massive released it for free when they made the sequel.   
Shogun and Medieval Total War are still pretty good if you can deal with almost bad graphics  
Sudden Strike games ran on low end machine when they were released and stil look pretty decent.  V Hard though
Half Life games are brilliant if you can get a mouse 
Spore might work 
Battlefield Heroes is also pretty cool 
The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind might need a bit of a more powerful machine

It would be awesome if we could keep this thread going.  Make a mini directory of awesome PC games that will run on anything these days.  There must be a hundred games worth mentioning here.  Hell 90% of them probably still have demos floating around on the internet so give some of those a try if your worried it won't work.

#42 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Deus Ex, Diablo II, Warcraft III, Fallout and Fallout 2, Starcraft, Planescape: Torment, Half Life...

#43 Posted by EthanML (451 posts) -

STARCRAFT

As for whoever suggested Warcraft 3, that system would never run it in a playable state =/

#44 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
Ohh MAN! That game was freakin' awesome! I'm gonna have to try and find my old copy again!
#45 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

Monkey Island,Secret,LeChucks Revenge,Curse

#46 Posted by Happy (261 posts) -
Cave Story is an absolutely fantastic game, and it's freeware!

Spelunky is another neat platformer but minus any story and plus some NetHacky goodness. It's extremely unforgiving though. But awesome if you like that sort of thing.
#47 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

How come nobody mentioned the both Soul Reaver games? Those were awesome and the first runs even better on crappy PC's.

I was going to say COD, but seeing as it was already mentioned, here's something similar: Return To Castle Wolfenstein. No comment there.

Also there's Red Alert 2 and it's expansion. C&C Generals (Although it may chop up a little bit)

Oh, and, dare I say it... Postal 2. It's not a ''great game'' per se by gaming standards, but nobody can deny it. It's the stupidest fun anybody can have legally.

#48 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

If we go for recent games aside from the classics everyone's mentioned, I really enjoyed playing Tradewinds Caravans, though it's a little short. On Steam it comes with Tradewinds Odyssey which is also short, but also has simpler gameplay. I prefer Caravans as it's tougher and a little bit more involving in its combat and traveling than Odyssey. I'll replay it with the different characters probably, whereas I feel I've seen all Odyssey has to offer even with just the one character I completed it with. Then again, it only takes a few hours per character so I'll probably play them at some point just to see their stories, as they're quite funny in their dialogues and quests and stuff. I'll try Sandlot Games' later games like Westward III and see what I think, but I'm sure they're also high quality. Hardly easy to judge the games by trailers, so look for reviews. Caravans got better treatment from critics thanks to the tougher and slightly more complex gameplay. I hope the next Tradewinds game follows suit.

Other than that, you've got your Trackmania United Forever (or Nations Forever for a freebie), Aquaria, Noitu Love 2, World of Goo... If your PC handles Half-Life 2 you should try mods like Curse Episodes and Neotokyo. Tons more indie games or classics others have or will mention...

Hell, even some flash games are addictive for long sessions, for example I love playing Monsters' Den: Book of Dread. If they made a downloadable version with enhanced combat rules, more campaigns, loot, and any extras they can think of, I'd totally buy it honestly.

#49 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -
@Bigvic785 said:

" Lego Island was truly epic. The Brickster was a genius. He tore that place down Brick by Brick. Here's something for nostalgia

"
Another reason why Lego Island is an epic game.
#50 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

The awesome race in Lego Island.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.