Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good Malware removal programs

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So Day 3 of using a PC again and wouldn't you know I have Malware already, the start sweetpacks and search conduit one, I already tried malware bytes no good, anyone have any suggestions for one I could use to get rid of this crap?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Loading Video...

Try this, hope it helps

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Superantispyware worked for me. there is a free verison

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

http://www.zimbio.com/Latest+Computer+Threats/articles/OojtWGbBy1i/How+Completely+Uninstall+Start+sweetpacks

Quick google search yielded this way to manually remove it.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By itsVASH

@demoskinosTried manual removal can't find a windows 8 one

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By Forcen

Malwarebytes and Spybot: Search & Destroy (maybe try the old 1.6 version if you are having problems with the latest version).

Don't forget to update before you run them.

Try running RKill before searching with these programs above, RKill shuts down all malware processes. It might shut down some legit stuff to, but run it before trying to remove stuff if it wont go away.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superantisypware worked thanks @mildmolasses should figured something with the word super in it would work

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@itsvash said:

superantisypware worked thanks @mildmolasses should figured something with the word super in it would work

It really needs a better name. It sounds like some shitty freeware program that will open you up to all sorts of issues, but I got it from the MS support forums when I had some issues a while back

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@itsvash said:

So Day 3 of using a PC again and wouldn't you know I have Malware already, the start sweetpacks and search conduit one, I already tried malware bytes no good, anyone have any suggestions for one I could use to get rid of this crap?

Are you in safe mode when using these programs? Malwarebytes usually does the job as long as your in safe mode when doing it. Also would recommend using a free trial version of kaspersky in safe mode too.

Winterblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Run full scans with malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Both together are seriously awesome. Since you keep getting reinfected, consider checking your registry for anything unusual firing off in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. That way you can be sure the next time you restart your PC and log back in you're not screwing yourself over by accident.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Honestly I would reformat and most importantly get a noscript addon and adblocker for your browser (which is probably chrome?)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Super Anti-Spyware and Malware Bytes both find different things. I would suggest running a scan with both, at separate times, at least once a month, preferably once a week.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Malwarebytes is by far the most reliable one I've used to get rid of viruses.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By itsVASH

@mildmolasses so after restarting my computer seems as if it didnt work, man, this shit is redic, so this is why I was using a mac for so long....

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd: I always recommend Malwarebytes. When I was younger (in my learning about PCs), I downloaded a .exe file and didn't scan it. Lo and behold, it turned into a really nasty Trojan that forced my anti-virsus as well as my internet connection to go offline. A quick google search lead me to Malwarebytes and it took care of it.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only issue I've ever had with Malwarebytes is that it finds false-positives a lot when it's updated to a new version, but that gets ironed out super quick by the developers (usually within an hour of the update). Otherwise it's one of the best programs for malware removal out there, and if you have any questions, there's a dedicated team of malware removal experts on their forums all the time.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By myke_tuna

The only issue I've ever had with Malwarebytes is that it finds false-positives a lot when it's updated to a new version, but that gets ironed out super quick by the developers (usually within an hour of the update). Otherwise it's one of the best programs for malware removal out there, and if you have any questions, there's a dedicated team of malware removal experts on their forums all the time.

Another vote for Malwarebytes. I haven't messed with malware myself in years, thank goodness, but the last time it got really bad on my buddy's laptop, I used Malwarebytes and it caught everything.

Harabec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magnets, they attract the virus and remove them through magic.

I've had success with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, but I generally just backup what I need then do a clean install. It might sound like a lot of work, but if you are going to spend hours messing around with different anti-virus software it might be worth it to skip all those steps and do the sure-fire fix.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I haven't had any problems since I started using windows defender, I don't really go to any sketchy sites though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.