Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good sound card under $100?

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Giantsquirrel

So I've got a fancy schmancy computer and I'm running onboard audio, which is performing well on 5.1, but I want a dedicated card. Problem is, I can't afford to drop $150 on a Fa1ality or a good ASUS card. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good sound card on a budget?

PS.: Must support 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS and use 6 Ch direct inputs. I don't have space on my speakers for another optical or coax connection. Thanks.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Hm, sound cards are weird creatures. They basically come in onboard, $30, and $150 dollar varieties. If you can't spring for a Fatality card yet just wait.  

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Direct inputs are outdated these days, you need a better decoder I think.  Anyways I'd strongly recommend against getting a sound card these days.  Windows Vista onwards they're not longer relevant really.  If you have a 'fancy' computer it should have good output methods for 5.1 or DTS (TOSLINK?).  You won't get better sound out of external sound cards unless you're still using XP, and since output is digital these days (well good speaker setups like DD5.1 and DTS), signal to noise ratios won't matter either.

Bottom line, don't buy a sound card.

edit : Get a TOSLINK switch box, they're cheap and that will allow you to use TOSLINK for your computer rather than lossy direct inputs and you won't need to spend money on a worthless sound card.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88
    @Diamond said:
    " Direct inputs are outdated these days, you need a better decoder I think.  Anyways I'd strongly recommend against getting a sound card these days.  Windows Vista onwards they're not longer relevant really.  If you have a 'fancy' computer it should have good output methods for 5.1 or DTS (TOSLINK?).  You won't get better sound out of external sound cards unless you're still using XP, and since output is digital these days (well good speaker setups like DD5.1 and DTS), signal to noise ratios won't matter either.  Bottom line, don't buy a sound card.  edit : Get a TOSLINK switch box, they're cheap and that will allow you to use TOSLINK for your computer rather than lossy direct inputs and you won't need to spend money on a worthless sound card. "
    I've been using an X-fi card for the past two years and definitely noticed the difference in quality between the card and onboard audio, and I've been using Vista.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @Binman88 said:
    I've been using an X-fi card for the past two years and definitely noticed the difference in quality between the card and onboard audio, and I've been using Vista.
    Did you get Vista after or before you had an X-Fi card?  Because the X-Fi can't process sound information from Vista onwards like it could in XP.  Creative was only able to backwards engineer Vista's sound system to support the X-Fi's acceleration, but I'm not convinced that would make your system any more efficient.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.